UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Amateur and Military Radio

Notices

Vintage Amateur and Military Radio Amateur/military receivers and transmitters, morse, and any other related vintage comms equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 9th Jan 2013, 11:00 pm   #21
Anthony Thomas
Hexode

Default Re: Sweetheart Radio

I am glad that I found this website, I have two sets of replica chassis for this Sweetheart project. All cut with tinsnips and folded in a 4" Record benchvice at home.

The only real challenge is finding a coil former with adjusting slug, I might even try using a suitable Denco Green coil in mine.

The reduction drive and tuning scale was turned in a lathe by a friend of mine and just needs a scale drawing up and glueing in place.

Many of the original sets have either been molested or otherwise modified so original and unrestored sets are usually more collectable. The earpices are often damaged or missing.

I wonder if the sets were manufactured by Bush? they were designed by Willy Simonsen I believe.

Tony

Last edited by Anthony Thomas; 9th Jan 2013 at 11:09 pm.
Old 13th Jan 2013, 12:22 am   #22
Packhow75
Tetrode

I have an original Norway set - nice radio (not working) - alas the headset has been hard-wired into the set (looks like it was done years ago - so perhaps a "field mod") - am looking for an original headset in good condition - ideally in the tin. If anyone has one for sale, please PM me, Cheers, Tim
Old 13th Jan 2013, 12:23 am   #23
Packhow75
Tetrode

Happy to post photos of my set if anyone's interested.
Old 13th Jan 2013, 2:46 pm   #24
BobGreen
Retired Dormant Member

My first homebrew valve radio used an 1T4 bought from a shop run by a dodgy bloke who ended up in prison for selling stuff before the RAF had finished with it. A mate of mine bought the shop contents and I catalogued it for him so sell.
Old 13th Jan 2013, 3:05 pm   #25
Cobaltblue

Hi Tim

I would be interested in seeing your pictures.

Cheers

Mike T
Old 15th Jan 2013, 1:29 pm   #26
Packhow75
Tetrode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobaltblue View Post
I would be interested in seeing your pictures.
Tim
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SDC10310-S.jpg
Views:	321
Size:	67.3 KB
ID:	75039  
Old 15th Jan 2013, 1:50 pm   #27
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

Very nice,love it.
Old 22nd Jan 2013, 11:37 am   #28
Anthony Thomas
Hexode

Excellent photo Tim, I have some photos but no scanner.

I have knocked out three chassis to make a replica, all measured from an original set and bent up in my trusty 4" Record vice.

A friend of mine turned a tuning scale inner core out of nylon and this just needs a scale gluing onto it.

The real challenge for me will be to source a suitable adjustable cored coil former and the litz wire to wind it on. I fancy trying to make a wave winding coil machine one day but that might just be another dream.

Any replica will be just that a replica and not worth that much.

Those ear pieces will be quite a challenge to source Tim, I wonder if they were made by medrisco that made those hearing aids back in the early 1950s? They are often a missing item on the original sets despite there being many sets made and "dropped" by parachute.
Old 2nd Mar 2016, 12:07 pm   #29
3delta2lb
Retired Dormant Member

Good morning everyone. Looking at the date of the last post, perhaps I can be excused for 'reviving' the topic (and trying to complete a project started 2 or 3 years back). I feel that would-be replica-builders are perhaps put off by the lack of suitable HT batteries...
Not being a 'purist' when it comes to replicas. I have taken a few liberties, especially in relation to the PSU. Higher voltage batteries suitable for the HT are either rare or expensive or low capacity. On the other hand, high capacity (3000mAh) 1V2 NiMH are readily available and cheap. For the filament/bias supply, I use four of these in series in a 'battery box' (via a low current germanium diode to give a 0.3V drop). The pack also feeds a tiny 'far-east' up-converter to give about 35V for the HT supply.
When the set is not in use, the batteries are recharged by a very simple constant current charger on a tiny (1" x 0.9" piece of veroboard).
Everything seems to work, although the receiver output seems a bit low. I haven't yet looked into this...not sure what to expect really.
Andre GM3VLB/ex-5Z4KL
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	'Sweetheart' Rx PSU001.jpg
Views:	298
Size:	82.2 KB
ID:	120949   Click image for larger version

Name:	007.jpg
Views:	419
Size:	93.6 KB
ID:	120950   Click image for larger version

Name:	008.jpg
Views:	402
Size:	86.8 KB
ID:	120951   Click image for larger version

Name:	009.jpg
Views:	245
Size:	77.6 KB
ID:	120952  
Old 7th Mar 2016, 12:29 am   #30
Tractorfan
Dekatron

Location: St. Frajou, l'Isle en Dodon, Haute Garonne, France.(Previously: Ellesmere Port, Cheshire, UK.)
Smile Re: Sweetheart Radio

Hi,
Those 4.5volt pocket torch batteries are still widely available, and cheap, in France, if I'm thinking of the same ones with the metal strips on top.
Cheers, Pete