UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 15th Aug 2018, 11:22 am   #1
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

Exclamation Bush TR82 - broken plastic coupler between LW Button and Switch.

The blue plastic coupler between the metal tang in the button and the actual switch has broken in two (after well over 50 years, probably nearer 60!) I was going to use 'Gorilla Glue' to see if I could repair it, but read that it's not recommended for use on polypropylene plastics. As I have no idea what type of plastic Bush used for the coupler all those years ago, I decided against using Gorilla Glue and instead have used a small amount of Bostik Solvent free Clear adhesive. After the glue has set, I may then try and fit a tight fitting sleeve of some kind over the broken part, but I'm wondering if any other forum members have successfully repaired these parts, and, if so, what has anyone used for the job? That couple is obviously under a bit of strain when the band-switches are operated, and, short of retrieving a good part from a scrapper, there is no prospect of obtaining a replacement. The radio, b.t.w., is the original version with the components hard-wired on a metal chassis.
Old 15th Aug 2018, 11:51 am   #2
paulsherwin

Default Re: Bush TR82 - broken plastic coupler between LW Butto & Switch

I don't think the Bostik will be up to the job. I would use a good epoxy glue like Araldite Precision (most people have their favourite epoxies and you will get lots of suggestions). Epoxy allows you to build up a 'collar' of strong solid adhesive around the join.

Don't use Poundland no-brand epoxy as it isn't very strong.
Old 15th Aug 2018, 12:17 pm   #3
crackle
Rest in Peace

Default Re: Bush TR82 - broken plastic coupler between LW Button and Switch.

Use Super glue to hold it together, then wrap it with thin thread or cord wound over the whole length then more superglue over the top of the thread.
It will never break, stronger than using epoxy on its own, which never seems to stick to shiny plastic.
You could use epoxy to cover the thread you wrapped round the plastic.

Mike
Old 15th Aug 2018, 1:19 pm   #4
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

Bostik didn't work, Paul, so I'll either use Araldite or Super Glue. One of the problems, of course is not only glueing broken plastic parts together, but ensuring they are a good tight fit on the metal switch tang.
Old 15th Aug 2018, 3:13 pm   #5
AC/HL
Dekatron

Not really answering the question, but I have a scrapper here, and you're welcome to the part if you PM your address. I found it on some waste ground whilst walking a dog, and not even one of the wizards here would be able to resurrect it!
Old 15th Aug 2018, 6:27 pm   #6
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

I've glued the broken parts with Superglue, Bill, but am not certain if this will stand repeated pressing of the button. Thanks for the offer of the scrapper. You have a PM
Old 15th Aug 2018, 6:52 pm   #7
dseymo1
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Bush TR82 - broken plastic coupler between LW Butto & Switch

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulsherwin View Post
I don't think the Bostik will be up to the job. I would use a good epoxy glue like Araldite Precision (most people have their favourite epoxies and you will get lots of suggestions). Epoxy allows you to build up a 'collar' of strong solid adhesive around the join.

Don't use Poundland no-brand epoxy as it isn't very strong.
The Poundland stuff is odd!
At low temperatures it cures to a rubbery consistency, but the warmer it gets, the stronger it sets, up to a point. However, the recent hot weather had it going off within a minute or two, and forming a rather soft resin.
Old 15th Aug 2018, 7:16 pm   #8
paulsherwin

I have certainly found it doesn't form a strong solid bond after curing. I now use it for low stress joints, or as a way to stabilise birdsnested lashups when I can't be bothered with the hot melt gun.
Old 21st Aug 2018, 1:08 pm   #9
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

Courtesy of AC/HL I've now received a replacement plastic coupler for the Button (Thanks, Bill)
Closed Thread