UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 6th Aug 2018, 6:42 pm   #21
Biggles
Rest in Peace

Default Re: Pilot T105

If you need any info on these sets, voltage comparisons etc feel free to ask as I have just repaired one of these and replaced quite a few components in the process. Check the mains dropper resistor isn't shorting to chassis somewhere. I had a wire touch the metalwork and it blew the bulb violently. It gave me a bit of a fright in the process!
Alan.
Old 6th Aug 2018, 7:30 pm   #22
Viscount
Heptode

Yes thanks for the info, there doesn't seem to be any problem there, just low volume.
Old 6th Aug 2018, 7:39 pm   #23
Biggles
Rest in Peace

The UCL83 on mine had low emission. Check the voltage across the cathode resistor on the audio output pentode section. If this is low the valve may be past its best. They are cheap enough to replace.

Alan.
Old 6th Aug 2018, 8:10 pm   #24
Sideband
Dekatron

Did you check the anode load of the triode section of the UCL83? They go high and will cause low volume. Also the common screen grid feed to the mixer and IF amp.
Old 7th Aug 2018, 11:39 am   #25
David G4EBT
Dekatron

Probably a bit late to mention it, but it might be helpful to newcomers to understand why the bulb blew in the first instance due to the .05µF capacitor C27 being short circuit. On the annotated drawing, the red line shows how the pilot bulb acts as a fuse in such circumstances. In a series heater chain, all the valve heaters must pass the same current - in the case of the T105, 0.1A (100mA), but may, and usually do, have different voltages as shown on the part circuit of the T104 below. Though the heaters are rated at 0.1A, the bulb is rated at 0.2A, presumably to reduce the chance of it blowing due to a surge when the radio is switched on.

Nice little sets. The cabinet is brown Bakelite, but when they were introduced in 1956, it was a time when gaudy colours were becoming fashionable, and I guess that's why Pilot sprayed the sombre brown cabinets a gaudy blue, with gold embellishments. When I bought mine, I thought it was a DIY paint job, but later discovered it was a factory finish, so I got an aerosol colour matched to suit. Below are before and after pics.

To my mind, one of the nicest features of the many 'Little Maestro' sets, is the quality of their dials.

An aspect of radios that interests me, and maybe others too, is where they fit into our social history. They were an expensive acquisition in the austere mid 50s - a time when few homes could afford more than one radio, hence, like many small sets, the 'T105' was described as 'Transportable' meaning that as it had an internal aerial, it could be taken from room to room if desired, and they often were. (The other option being extension speakers). Quite a lot of sets of that era - the Stella 105U for example - had a handle styled into them for that reason. No relevance to this thread, but I've added a pic below to show what I mean.

Hope that's of interest.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Little Maestro T105 Part Circuit annotated..jpg
Views:	60
Size:	97.4 KB
ID:	167171   Click image for larger version

Name:	As found 2.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	74.3 KB
ID:	167172   Click image for larger version

Name:	Front view finished set.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	80.2 KB
ID:	167173   Click image for larger version

Name:	Stella 105U finished.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	87.1 KB
ID:	167175  
Old 7th Aug 2018, 11:49 am   #26
ms660
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by David G4EBT View Post
Though the heaters are rated at 0.1A, the bulb is rated at 0.2A, presumably to reduce the chance of it blowing due to a surge when the radio is switched on.
The bulb needs to have a higher current rating than the valve heaters anyways.....because it also passes all the current flowing through the rectifier as well.

Lawrence.
Old 7th Aug 2018, 2:48 pm   #27
Viscount
Heptode

Have tried another UCL83 and things have improved somewhat, will order a new valve and take it from there.
Old 11th Aug 2018, 9:44 am   #28
Viscount
Heptode

I'm pleased to say that after changing all the wax caps and fitting a 12 volt 0.25A dial lamp the T105 is now back working as it should be.

Thanks to all for the valuable advice, will attempt to post pics ASAP.
Old 11th Aug 2018, 3:26 pm   #29
Viscount
Heptode

Picture now attached of finished T105
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Radio Aug 18.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	78.0 KB
ID:	167359  
Old 11th Aug 2018, 7:40 pm   #30
Biggles
Rest in Peace

A nice little set. Makes mine look a bit grubby. I might treat it to a new coat of paint.
Alan.
Closed Thread