UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 3rd Sep 2016, 10:37 pm   #1
Ti Pwun
Heptode

Default Hacker Radios - Felt Washers

I recently watched Graham's restoration video (radiocruncher) and I offered to stamp out some washers for him.

Graham then asked if they were fitted as standard from the factory and I hadn't really given it much thought and had to say that I didn't know for sure. I've seen more Hackers with them than without them so I had assumed that those without had simply been lost at some point.

Is this the case? I fit them to all the radios I work on so it doesn't really matter - it costs next to nothing to stamp some new ones and I'll send a bag of them to Graham. We both agree that it makes sense to protect the faceplate anyway. But the question made me curious.

Anyone know? Mark?
Old 4th Sep 2016, 9:38 am   #2
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

Default Re: Hacker Radios - Felt Washers

Given all the many Hackers that have passed through my hands, these were factory fitted. They add to the qualily feel and are effective. Edward
Old 4th Sep 2016, 10:11 am   #3
mhennessy
Dekatron

Yes, I'd say that they are factory fitted. But not all models got them, of course. Sovereign III and later didn't, as a rough guide. And several of the earlier AM-only models didn't (e.g. RP17), but in those cases that was probably down to the choice of knobs than cost-cutting.
Old 4th Sep 2016, 10:54 am   #4
alanworland
Heptode

And of course, most importantly, they keep dust out!

Alan
Old 4th Sep 2016, 2:35 pm   #5
Ti Pwun
Heptode

Judging by the number of circular scratches around the holes that I've encountered I'd say that's the most important reason for using them but yes, they undoubtedly help to prevent 'scratchy pots'.

Thanks, fellas, for the replies.
Closed Thread