UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 17th May 2008, 6:48 pm   #1
stuie319
Pentode

Default Ekco T368 service access

Hello Folks,

As the title suggests a quick question about the disassembly of a T368.
The trader sheet suggests the chassis is hinged and may be swung out.....
To me it looks anchored at the bottom centre, and the elongated apertures on the top brackets allow it to be hinged down to a degree, but nowhere near enough to get to the line output pwb. Is it really necessary to remove the whole thing leaving just the tube or have I missed something glaringly obvious? I'm wary of damage to the crt, and consequently to me

Thanks in advance,

Regards,
Stu
Old 17th May 2008, 8:05 pm   #2
murphyv310
Dekatron

Default Re: Ekco T368 service access

Hi.
The T368 Is a really nice set and well worth repairing. The last time I repaired a T368 would be around 1970 so this is from memory!
I am sure the whole chassis will need to come out but at least you do have a stronger CRT, although they dont have intregal implosion protection they are stronger than the earlier round tubes. Dont be frightened by what you are doing thats when you make mistakes but respect the tube and dont strike it hard or drop it.
The T368 is a good set to work on and I do remember the excellent pictures they displayed and its a nice cabinet into the bargain.
Good Luck
Trevor
Old 18th May 2008, 6:27 pm   #3
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

The T368 as Trevor says is a cracking set but the Mazda crt's emission failed quickly. The Mullard AW43-88 makes a good replacement. If I remember correctly you need to remove the channel selector and fine tuner knobs. [Line up hole in fine tuner knob with grubscrew] Undo the two O BA screws at the bottom rear of the cabinet, release loudspeaker leads, push the cabinet forward a little and LIFT IT OFF the chassis.
The lopt casing may be burned but is easily repaired. Regards, John.
Old 18th May 2008, 7:17 pm   #4
stuie319
Pentode

Thanks Trevor & John for your replies.

It does indeed appear that the whole chassis has to be separated to gain any sort of access to the pcb side of things, despite what the trader sheet might have you believe. That said it does cover a multitude of models. It would have been easier to remove the tube! shame the scan coils arn't on a plug.....
As it happens, what little remained of the lopt casing simply crumbled to dust during my efforts to get to the line panel behind. I gather from other posts I've read that this is all to common and a new housing must somehow be fabricated. However having fired this one up before doing anything I noted that after a few moments the EHT started to die with the usual increase in scan, so this example may well have a duff winding to boot.
Either way it needs some caps i dont have so I shall ponder my next move whilst I await some, and perhaps start a new thread once i've decided what 'f'ort do'

Thanks again gents,

Stu
Old 18th May 2008, 7:27 pm   #5
murphyv310
Dekatron

Hi.
I very much doubt that the LOPT is actually duff the casing still could be your fault these transformers are excellent electrically but the plastic can leak giving the effect of an electrical problem.
Trevor
Old 19th May 2008, 8:00 pm   #6
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

Agree with Trevor. I have never found a single Ekco LOPT with the windings faulty. The case has become conductive and will need to be replaced with one made of Perspex or Paxolin. It probably smells sickly sweet. No neet to retain the exact shape so long as it will fit. Take great care of the EHT output wire from the OVERWIND. It is very thin and easily broken off. If this should happen it can be recovered and a turn removed so that it can be reconnected.
The cabinet will come off leaving the chassis, CRT and everything in place. No neet to take bits off the chassis. The mask will stay in the cabinet. Two minute job honest..!
All the wax capacitors will need replacement. The frame linearity should be 100% with enough height for at least two sets! If you get picture flutter at the normal setting of the contrast control that clears if its set a little too high or low, check the potential divider resistors in the video output stage with particular reference to the 27k connected from the HT line to the suppressor grid of the valve. That one drove me mad 40 years ago! The EHT metrosil rod will probably be crumbling. Simply disconnect it and connect the output from the U26 direct to the tube. Most of my notes on the T330 from an earlier thread apply to the T368. They are similar in many ways. Ekco got it right from the start in 1954 and the design changed little until 1962.
Regards, John.
Closed Thread