UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Old 8th Dec 2019, 4:32 pm   #21
Techman
Nonode

Default Re: How noisy are reel to reels?

The BSR TD-10 tape deck have become one of the most notoriously noisy tape decks with time as they've aged. The strangest thing is that the noise seems to be caused by the main idler wheel rubber hardening with time. I say this is strange, as the BSR record decks from the same period are renowned for their good idler wheels, compared to Garrards - there's another thread running just at this very moment where this has been talked about regarding the record decks with equivalent (idler wheel) parts.

A quick bodge with the TD-10 is to stick one of those flat elastic bands round the circumference of the idler tyre with either glue, or double sided tape for a real bodge job - it works, but not really recommended.
Techman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th Dec 2019, 4:12 pm   #22
ricard
Octode

I have successfully replaced the TD-10 idler with one from a Philips EL3542 or EL3547, whose tires seem to predate the 'goo' era and are made of still serviceable rubber. (The EL3516, EL3522, EL3536 and EL3546 use the same idler I believe - the EL3516/22/36/42 has three and the EL3546/47 has one; interestingly enough, although the mechanical design is completely different between these two groups of machines, they use the same idler, in the three speed versions it is used between the stepped motor shaft and the flywheel, and the EL3546/47 it is used between the take-up clutch on the flywheel and the take-up reel). The outer and shaft diameters are identical, but the hub has a different shape, so one has to use shims to get the idler to ride at the right height.
ricard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th Dec 2019, 6:31 pm   #23
usradcoll1
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welsh Anorak View Post
Ah, but that's a three motor deck. No rubber idlers to harden. If you decide to go for a reel to reel for recording purposes, then thet's the type to go for. Some of my idler drive ones sound like tractors! If your budget can't stretch to a Revox or similar, then some of the Philips, Tandberg or later Grundigs are pretty quiet - the Philips especially so as their belts will have all but vanished leaving a sorry mess! However once cleaned and rebelted (is that a word?) they are one of the quietest single-motor machines.
I got lucky after getting my first deck. I went to the neighborhood tip to take something else to dispose of and I discovered that someone had dropped off another Teac deck similar to the one I already had, but newer.
IT was set for 240 volts and 50 HZ. I looked at it and it had an adjustment for 50/60 CY and voltage setting for 100 to 240 volts. Set it all properly and it worked to perfection. It even had a metal take-up reel.
Dave, USradcoll1
usradcoll1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Dec 2019, 12:53 am   #24
PWH
Hexode

I have been working on a TC377 which was almost silent when switched on but after 10 mins, started to get really noisy mechanically. Switched off, I happened to touch the original motor run cap which nearly burnt me it was so hot. Changed it for a 2uF 'starter' capacitor and it runs silently all day (and the cap is cool). Motor is still quite hot though.
PWH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Dec 2019, 11:12 am   #25
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

it had an adjustment for 50/60 CY and voltage setting for 100 to 240 volts. Set it all properly
I think there may be some here who might regard that as IMproperly!!!
Amazing what gets thrown away, though.
Old 11th Dec 2019, 3:44 pm   #26
ricard
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welsh Anorak View Post
Amazing what gets thrown away, though.

And why it gets thrown away! Was it in fact thrown away because it seemingly failed to operate correctly with those voltage and frequency settings?

Of course we will never know, but it wouldn't be the first piece of equipment to be binned because it was incorrectly set up by the user.
ricard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Dec 2019, 4:55 pm   #27
JayBee66
Pentode

I received the Rubber Renue. Whilst waiting for it to arrive from Farnell I downloaded a hazard document for the product. Methyl Salicylate, ethylbenzene and xylene make it very dangerous; carcinogenic and high toxicity. I used gloves outdoors to clean the pinch wheel and two idlers. All looked very clean and almost like new.

Did it make any difference to mechanical noise? Not a bit! I shall definitely be using the machine for bits in a direct drive tape echo. Something like this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bMEEoSf0pQM
JayBee66 is offline   Reply With Quote