UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 29th Nov 2019, 1:25 am   #1
joebog1
Banned

Default Laney IRT15H

I am working on a Laney guitar amp. I just wish to post some pics regarding removal of the circuit board.

The two pictures are pretty self explanatory, so to explain why I have posted this is as follows:

The pilot lamps ( two of them ) are soldered into the BOTTOM of the PCB. The (led) lamp itself is hot glued to the chassis. Which is removed first?

The 16 way header is GLUED into the socket!!! at BOTH ends. I guess it makes for a "solid" (sic) connection, but how is it removed??

I have seen some dodgy bodgy "fixes" before but I had to share this one.
Note also the large amount of SMD components!!

Joe
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Pilot_lamps.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	62.6 KB
ID:	194579   Click image for larger version

Name:	16_way_header.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	57.1 KB
ID:	194580  
Old 30th Nov 2019, 10:26 am   #2
sortedradio
Heptode

Default Re: Laney IRT15H

Hi Joe,
It looks like hot melt glue. If so, I find brushing the bond with isopropyl alcohol works. It doesn't totally dissolve the glue, but softens it, allowing you to peel it off. It usually takes a couple of applications.
Old 30th Nov 2019, 10:40 am   #3
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

To my eyes that looks like some quite-sensible and cheap "roadie-proofing"!

Not exactly tour-grade, but good-enough. Amps and cabs have a hard life on the road (beer-cooled amplifiers were a regular thing).
Old 30th Nov 2019, 5:22 pm   #4

Hot melt glue cooled down tends to snap off, pop it in the freezer (if it fits) or outdoors overnight.

Old 30th Nov 2019, 6:28 pm   #5
McMurdo
Dekatron

I soften hot melt glue with a heat gun on a low setting, allowing stuff to just pull out.