UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 27th Sep 2018, 9:03 pm   #1
ms660
Dekatron

Default Hedy Lamarr

On now (9pm start) BBC4.

EDIT: Whoops......Lamarr

Lawrence.
Old 27th Sep 2018, 9:33 pm   #2
Dave Moll
Dekatron

Default Re: Hedy Lamar

The significance to this forum being her involvement in the development of "frequency-hopping" [which] was to provide the foundation fory as wi-fi, Bluetooth and satellite GPS", according to Radio Times.
Old 27th Sep 2018, 9:48 pm   #3
SiriusHardware
Dekatron

I think most military radar frequency-hops to make it harder to jam as well, so her basic idea ended up in a lot of different places.
Old 28th Sep 2018, 8:47 am   #4
Andrew2
Nonode

Is this a new doc or a repeat of the one from a few years back?
Old 28th Sep 2018, 9:44 am   #5
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

I only saw/heard -wasn't really looking at the screen!- the last half-hour or so last night, but had seen the film earlier this year in my local cinema. AFAIK it was a newly-released doc. in 2018, first shown in March on what I think was called 'International Women's day' (apologies if that's incorrect)
Old 11th Oct 2018, 7:56 pm   #6
Grubhead
Heptode

I saw that. She developed lots of ideas, including the changing frequency for WW2. But the American military seeing she was an "erotic actress" just did nothing with the ideas. Till many years later, when the patents had lapsed.
Old 12th Oct 2018, 10:52 am   #7
emeritus
Dekatron

My understanding is that it was not so much ignored as completely forgotten, so subsequent developers had to re-invent the wheel. It only seems to have surfaced after spread spectrum technology was declassified and a number of other patents which had been kept pending were published, meaning that the patentees had to check for conflict with other previously pending patents. This was mentioned in a couple of papers on the history of spread spectrum in the IEEE transactions on spread spectrum technology in I think the late 1970’s. These papers are not available for free download and so tend to get overlooked.

Last edited by emeritus; 12th Oct 2018 at 10:58 am.
Closed Thread