UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Offered and Wanted Messages > Sets, Parts and Service Information Offered (private sellers only, exact price required, no swaps)

Notices

Sets, Parts and Service Information Offered (private sellers only, exact price required, no swaps) You may announce components or sets for sale or offered free here. Private collectors only - no traders. You must include an exact price. No swaps.

Closed Thread

Old 8th Oct 2018, 9:04 pm   #1
greenstar
Octode

Default Bag of chips

I don't know what these are, but offered here in case they are of use to anyone. There appear to be no markings. 20 pins each on a big heatsink.
3.50 postage
Tony
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1100734.JPG
Views:	298
Size:	96.8 KB
ID:	170532  
Old 8th Oct 2018, 9:19 pm   #2
Reelman
Heptode

Default Re: Bag of chips

Hi Tony,
I would like to express an interest in these chips please.
Many thanks,
Peter
Old 8th Oct 2018, 10:39 pm   #3
jayceebee
Hexode

With 20 pins they possibly could be the original version of the Plessey SL901 used in the RBM A823 series of sets, first seen in the very rare hybrid dual standard 22" Murphy CV2210D and Bush CTV174D. Later ICs came in a normal looking 24 pin package but the two pins at each end were unused. Some early decoders were drilled for both versions

John.

Last edited by jayceebee; 8th Oct 2018 at 10:45 pm. Reason: more info
Old 8th Oct 2018, 10:41 pm   #4
Reelman
Heptode

I must admit that I thought at first that these were Plessey SL403 amplifiers but I see that these had only 10 widely spaced pins rather than the 20 shown here.
Peter
Old 9th Oct 2018, 1:50 pm   #5
ionburn
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayceebee View Post
With 20 pins they possibly could be the original version of the Plessey SL901 used in the RBM A823 series of sets, first seen in the very rare hybrid dual standard 22" Murphy CV2210D and Bush CTV174D. Later ICs came in a normal looking 24 pin package but the two pins at each end were unused.
Yes I remember these. We had a jig with sockets for testing at the comapany I worked. I have one or two of these IC's which I bought (unmarked) from J Birkett at the time in a goody bag so I was able to test them and determine that was what they were and that they functioned. I have also got some of those with widely spaced pins, along with John's suggested circuit sheets which he provided at the time.
Old 9th Oct 2018, 3:25 pm   #6
Craig Sawyers
Octode

Then there was the infamous 1968 launch of the IC10 power amplifier in identical packaging from Sinclair. Apparently sourced from Plessey, which would explain the similarity. The IC10 had 10 pins.

http://www.vk6fh.com/vk6fh/sinclair%20ic10.htm

Correcting for inflation since 1968 that works out at 50 each, or 100 per stereo pair. For a 5W amp.

Rather off-topic, other than the packaging.

Craig
Old 9th Oct 2018, 3:33 pm   #7
neil29
Heptode

Hi Peter, Are you still interested in these?. because if not could I have them please Tony as I have a few A823 chassis sets that could use them if the current ones fail for any reason.

Cheers
Neil.
Old 9th Oct 2018, 6:59 pm   #8
Reelman
Heptode

Hi Neil,
No problem at all.
Tony, I release my interest in the chips in favour of Neil if that is ok.

It was the 10 pin Plessey amps that I was really after if anyone still has a spare...
Back in ‘71 I bought one from Superadio in Liverpool for 1 and had a lot of fun with it. Unfortunately they would die if you as much as looked hard at them. Being a poor schoolboy I would take it back and get it swopped for another one. This happened several times until they ran out and refunded my pound. Not seen one since although I have bought more recently an unused Sinclair IC10 but won’t risk connecting it up!
Good luck with them Neil!
Peter
Old 11th Oct 2018, 6:34 pm   #9
greenstar
Octode

Hi Neil,
yes, you can certainly have them. PM me your address and I will pack and post them to you.
Tony
Old 11th Oct 2018, 7:33 pm   #10
neil29
Heptode

Hi Tony, You have a PM.

Cheers
Neil.
Closed Thread