UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Offered and Wanted Messages > Sets, Parts and Service Information Wanted (private buyers only, no swaps)

Notices

Sets, Parts and Service Information Wanted (private buyers only, no swaps) If you need help obtaining components, sets or equipment, post a message here. Private buyers only - no traders. No swaps.

Old 11th Oct 2018, 3:09 pm   #1
longneck90
Hexode

Default Ekco U245. Wave change control

Hello to all. Presently, I am 'working' on an Ekco U245, and the Wavechange control lever has been broken, repaired, and is now broken again. (not by me) The ON/OFF switch is also short circuit. I was hoping that some Forum Member, might be able to furnish me with either one or both of these components, or even a spare chassis. All expenses will be reimbursed. Thanks in advance. All the best. John.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PA100636.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	96.3 KB
ID:	170706  
longneck90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Oct 2018, 3:15 pm   #2
Boater Sam
Dekatron

Location: Middlewich, Cheshire, UK. & Winter in the Philippines.
Default Re: Ekco U245. Wave change control

These levers are made from that terrible brittle red plastic and are often broken.
I gave up trying to find a new one that was in one piece and repaired mine by joining the handle part onto a new round knob centre that fitted the spindle with Araldite.
Sam.
Old 11th Oct 2018, 3:31 pm   #3
paulsherwin

I may have a pot and mains switch in a scrap chassis in the garage. I'll have a look in the next day or two. You may be able to fix the switch if you dismantle it though.

I can't help with the knob, though you may be able to repair it again using a spare knob and some Araldite, as Sam suggests.
paulsherwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Oct 2018, 3:47 pm   #4
paulsherwin

I've had a quick look and can't find it, so it must have been 'recycled' some time ago. I don't remember anything unusual about the volume pot though.
paulsherwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Oct 2018, 7:06 pm   #5
longneck90
Hexode

Thanks to 'Boater Sam' and Paul for replies. I might have a go at trying to make a substitute W/C switch lever. I will try opening up the ON/OFF - Volume Control. The Volume Control is also defective. All the best. John.
Old 11th Oct 2018, 7:27 pm   #6
Boater Sam
Dekatron

Location: Middlewich, Cheshire, UK. & Winter in the Philippines.

The volume pot and switch is a standard common part, available new from several parts suppliers, 500K ohm log +DP switch.
A search on the forum for replacement potentiometers will throw up many results.
Old 12th Oct 2018, 7:29 pm   #7
longneck90
Hexode

Hello to all. To Boater Sam; I dismantled V.C. cleaned carbon tracks and it is now fine. The ON/OFF switch on the same potentiometer was incorrectly connected, and while there is a short between 2 tags (IN /OUT or OFF/ON) on one side of switch, the other 2 tags are OK, and so I can use it. Thanks for information. All the best. John.
Old 12th Oct 2018, 7:49 pm   #8
ms660
Dekatron

Make sure the remaining working section of the on/off switch switches the Live side of the mains.

Lawrence.
ms660 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13th Oct 2018, 6:09 pm   #9
longneck90
Hexode

Hello Lawrence. I made sure of that. All the best. John.
Old 14th Oct 2018, 2:57 pm   #10
yestertech
Octode

Hi - my stores just turned up this - yours for cost of P & P

Andy
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0068.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	29.8 KB
ID:	170912  
yestertech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Oct 2018, 7:22 pm   #11
longneck90
Hexode

Hello to all. To Andy (yestertech). Thanks for your offer of WC switch, but presently, I don't need it, as I have already repaired the original. It was already broken when I got the radio. Part of the Bakelite SW control was still glued to the SW spindle, and the rest broken off. I drilled a hole into the centre of the spindle for approx. 8 mm. I then got a bolt about 12 mm long, put one glued end into drilled hole in spindle. The head of the bolt then fitted into the broken off part of the Switch control, which was filled with Araldite, and then the 2 parts of the SW control fitted neatly together. It is working very well. All the best. John.