UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Offered and Wanted Messages > Sets, Parts and Service Information Wanted (private buyers only, no swaps)

Notices

Sets, Parts and Service Information Wanted (private buyers only, no swaps) If you need help obtaining components, sets or equipment, post a message here. Private buyers only - no traders. No swaps.

Old 3rd Apr 2020, 9:42 pm   #1
AdrianH
Pentode

Default Information wanted on what to get really!

As I am fairly new to the forum and wishing to reminisce on my youth I really do not know where to start. I enjoy listening to the PYE P76 I have although I wish the SW was better.

Can anyone suggest radios that may suit me if I list a few thoughts below:
  • I would really prefer non vintage or rare, lets keep them for the more enthusiastic collectors/restorers.
  • As I am trying to get into understanding valves again, that is the style I am after, but would like to keep it to 6.3 Volt heaters and mains transformer units that I can earth. That is really down to an old Eddystone radio I once owned many years ago which had a universal chassis and bit me!
  • Would like good coverage of SW bands, I know the bands are dying, but still enjoy listening to some of the foreign stations in English the selectivity of the PYE is lacking, perhaps I need to get a comms receiver?
  • I was born late 50's So when I started to get my hands on them it was in the Late 60's as they were being replaced by modern sets, so I guess mid to late 50's to early 60's for manufacture.
  • Size, well I doubt I would be allowed to have a radiogram/drinks cabinet style unit as there is no where to put it so may have to contend myself with something around the same size as my Pye P76. But open to suggestions. There is no way to travel to collect anything at present. Fragile on a parcel typically means it will be thrown around.
  • Working/fixed is preferable in case anyone has something they wish to part with, I am still learning so me trying to get it fixed is probably a long process.

I am putting out the request to all you that have been in this for a lot longer then me, if you have any suggestions and possibly a picture so I know what to search for.

I have had units like Racal RA 17, Marconi CR100, Murphy B40 and Larkspur R210 and preferred the larkspur out of that lot, but I doubt a piece of military looking gear would get passed SWMBO, so think a Domestic radio might be my only option.

Anyway, thanks in anticipation.

Adrian
AdrianH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Apr 2020, 11:05 pm   #2
g4aaw pete
Hexode

Default Re: Information wanted on what to get really!

Hello Adrian

Think there’s a bit of a paradox here. Old valve communications receivers are great when working, but inevitably will need some repairs to keep them working correctly.
I’ve had all the receivers you mention – still have a few CR100s, but they’ve never been trouble free.

For general SW listening a use a more modern Kenwood R5000. This is hardly vintage, but doesn’t look out of place in the living room. If I want to step back in time, I switch on a CR100.

Although not small, something like an Eddystone 730 would probably fill the bill. This brings us back to probable repairs though.
Old 3rd Apr 2020, 11:58 pm   #3
AdrianH
Pentode

Hello Pete;

That's why I suggested working/repaired, what I am not after is a non working set to start off with. From looking at some previous posts, the PYE PE80 Cambridge international looks nice (to me). Not sure on the Murphy TA160.

I have Amateur radio gear, but not really suitable for Broadcast stations even have a Roberts R809 portable, but dislike the fact it mutes audio when tuning.

Adrian
Old 4th Apr 2020, 12:14 am   #4
Radio Wrangler
Dekatron

BRT400? Valves, right period, used by the BBC for broadcast monitoring quite decent looks for a comms receiver. BUT the heat they make brings poorish reliability and they are a pain to work on.

AR88s and HROs make good sounding and performing SW BC receivers. As a kid, my AR88 was a bit tatty. This was fixed by having case and panel sand blasted then stove enamelled... it may be the only silver-hammer one around. Parental happiness ensued.

Maybe an eddystone with a real mains transformer?

Most of the domestic receivers with SW bands are a bit disappointing.

David
Old 4th Apr 2020, 12:33 am   #5
AdrianH
Pentode

GEC BRT400, just seen a picture looks like a 19 inch rack mounting radio. Bet that is heavy.?

The Eddystone I had was missing the back coverall case had a green resistor stack in the back corner, that set was a death trap, grey front long dial, can not remember the model, or remember it being all that good, the RA17 was better apart from the small speaker. OK on the transformer ones, not sure but think I need to be be sticking to domestic styles and radios that may be able to sit on a decent shelf!

Adrian
Old 4th Apr 2020, 1:08 am   #6
turretslug
Dekatron

This may turn out to be one of those "get 20 different answers from 10 different people" situations!

There's the Pye PE60, if you can put up with the styling, versions with and without magic eye, front end and coverage generally as the PE80 but just a single-ended audio stage. Quite a few '50s miniature valve sets had an "export" variant with more SW bands, often but not always sacrificing LW in the process but ones with an RF stage are somewhat less common and one having above-average IF provision ( 2 amplifying stages and/or variable selectivity) are rarer still. The Chapman S6BS tuner does all that, though.

Pre-war, some decidedly swanky sets could be found in big boxes but all would require choosiness in acquisition and could well involve laborious in-depth overhaul.

There's the Eddystone 750 - quite compact amongst the more serious Eddystones, full SW coverage from 1.7 to 32 MHz plus 480 to 1465kHz MW, more shelf-compatible but still a heavy beast. Dual-conversion, but implemented about as simply as it could be. As with any but the most basic Eddystones, quite packed inside but by no means the worst. The 85kHz 2nd IF has continuously variable bandwidth and is quite tight in the broadest position (unsurprisingly) but it still makes SW broadcasting pleasant to listen to. I wouldn't really call it a "communications receiver", more "enthusiast SWL", but it still gives you a BFO and separate RF and IF gain. You get that famous Eddystone tuning feel, so that tuning is precise despite the coverage span. They do turn up from time to time but, as with anything of the vintage, cosmetics vary hugely.
turretslug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th Apr 2020, 7:47 am   #7
AdrianH
Pentode

@turretslug yes it will probably be down to preferences, just seen pictures of the PE60 and shame about the plastic looking grill.

The Chapman S6BS looks OK but would need an amp, nothing to say a small valve amp would not fit in the cabinet of an external box speaker.. Eddystone would depend a lot on appearance, but still preferring the idea of a wooden radio style cabinet.

For me this thread is about model numbers I can be aware of in the future should some come available. I hope to write down my preference list.

Thanks

Adrian
Old 4th Apr 2020, 9:48 am   #8
60 oldjohn
Nonode

I also have the Pye PE80 unfortunately It is a large set, but boasts push pull output, RF stage, flywheel to aide quick scale pointer travel, light to indicate waveband. I think they look nice, there are two scale colours to chose from.

PS Also Pye 39J/H or Pye 41 may be worth looking at I have no Experience of these sets.

John.

Last edited by 60 oldjohn; 4th Apr 2020 at 9:58 am. Reason: last sentnce added.
60 oldjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th Apr 2020, 10:22 am   #9
AdrianH
Pentode

Thank you John. just had a look at the dimensions of the set. and compared to the pYE P76 I have, 4 inches wider, 3 taller and 2 deeper. But not sideboard drink cabinet size so doable. Thanks for the idea of the A39J/H and PE41, also if I am reading correctly the slightly older 39J/H.

Adrian
Old 4th Apr 2020, 10:39 am   #10
turretslug
Dekatron

In the same sort of class as the Pye PE80, I'm reminded that I saw a Bush EBS44 going at a recent vintage event, I was sort of tempted but I don't need another big 'ol box of valves on the project list!

https://www.radiomuseum.org/r/bush_ebs44.html

Colin
turretslug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th Apr 2020, 10:50 am   #11
AdrianH
Pentode

Added to the watch list

Thanks

Adrian