UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing

Notices

Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing For help with cabinet or chassis restoration (non-electrical), please leave a message here.

Closed Thread

Old 20th Jun 2020, 11:28 am   #41
PsychMan
Octode

Default Re: Polyurethane Sanding Question

I’ve made a few things and decided to go back to polyeurathane for my main project (record changer plinth). It fills the grain quite well and the amber tint it applies is something I like a lot.

I’ve applied the first coat to all of my pieces, motor board, back and sides.

So, Back to the threads original title, I have various runs and specs to “de- nib”. BUT, as this is the first coat, it’s clear in some areas the varnish has really sunk into the veneer. So I think a light sand to de-nib is too risky, if I remove any of the stain then once more my project is destroyed (I’ve redone various aspects of this many times as I rode the learning curve!).

Will it be ok to apply another coat and then begin the sanding between coats after that? Logic tells me this is safer and I can’t see any problems myself, but thought worth asking you learn-ed gentlemen

Best regards
Adam
Closed Thread