UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Old 2nd Feb 2024, 6:24 pm   #21
mole42uk
Nonode

Default Re: Ekco A274 hum from loudspeakers but nowt else

Yes, the A274 packs quite a punch from it's EL84.

It might be worth checking the resistor R14 (470k?) which might be high and give a dim tuning indicator. Mine is the original EM80 and very bright.

Index:
recursive loop: see recursive loop
mole42uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd Feb 2024, 6:55 pm   #22
Martin G7MRV
Heptode

Ah yes thats mounted on the socket of the EM80 and is above the tube, so likely to get rather warm - its totally blackened on mine!

My Blog - http://g7mrv.blogspot.com
Martin G7MRV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4th Feb 2024, 6:53 pm   #23
Martin G7MRV
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by mole42uk View Post
Yes, the A274 packs quite a punch from it's EL84.

It might be worth checking the resistor R14 (470k?) which might be high and give a dim tuning indicator. Mine is the original EM80 and very bright.
As well as being rather dim, I note on this set that the response of the tube seems poor - the lines dont move as far over as I would have expected. However, I have very little knowledge or experience of magic eye tubes and so not sure.

I note though that it is fed from the EABC80 via 2M2 R11. Would I be correct in deducing that R11 going high will result in reduced response?

My Blog - http://g7mrv.blogspot.com
Martin G7MRV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4th Feb 2024, 7:23 pm   #24
mole42uk
Nonode

My tuning indicator has a very good response to the signal strength. I was looking at the circuit yesterday and thought that the 2M2 going high might be a culprit - I'd check that it is still about the correct value. I don't know too much about those valves either but my set has been in fairly constant use for nearly 70 years, I do know that carbon composition resistors are rather less reliable and being a tight Yorkshireman I'd replace something cheap before I replace something expensive.......

Index:
recursive loop: see recursive loop
mole42uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th Feb 2024, 7:49 pm   #25
paulsherwin

As I think I said upthread, the EM80 is just a voltage indicator showing the level of the signal hitting the discriminator. If you don't have a strong signal from a good aerial, it won't move very much.

The internal VHF aerials in 50s valve sets are really just a token effort. These sets were intended for use with horizontal dipoles on the chimney, like TV sets. Modern mixed polarisation transmitters allow them to be less fussy, but any indoor aerial is still a big ask unless the local signal is very strong.
paulsherwin is online now   Reply With Quote