UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Success Stories

Notices

Success Stories If you have successfully repaired or restored a piece of equipment, why not write up what you did and post details here. Particularly if it was interesting, unusual or challenging. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 26th Aug 2008, 7:23 pm   #1
batterymaker1
Heptode

Talking 1955 Luxor "Tripp" WB-21: The Numpty Restoration....

In 1994, I bought this set at an Dayton, Ohio antique shop. One look at the dial told me this was a radio uncommon to these shores--everything is listed in Swedish. I suspect it was brought over here by a traveler than the result of importation. It's the first and last one I've ever seen here in the States.

This particular set was called the "Tripp", and it was designed for the female persuasion. From the outside, it looks like a cross between a handbag and a hatbox. Lifting the lid reveals the hammertone-finished control panel. A mirror is set in the lid--more for show than for real use.

This is what I'd call a Numpty restoration....and I was the Numpty. First thing I did was attempt to replace all the 'lytics in the power supply. In doing so (without making a detailed diagram), I miswired something, and I turned the radio into a doorstop. Deciding to wait until I could find a schematic, I put it in storage.

A few years go by, and I found someone else had the same set--in, of all places, Brazil. I asked him if he had a schematic. Yes he did, and that it was on its way to him by a fellow collector in Sweden. As soon as he received it, he'd strike a copy for me and send it on its way. So, imagine--a schematic for a Swedish radio coming from the mother country, to Brazil, to here. That's the power of the 'net for you.....

This year, I figured fourteen years was long enough, and so I decided I'd tackle the Luxor. Still don't have the AC power supply functioning, but I did fix my miswire and it runs beautifully on battery. It's running on one of Tony Maher's 67.5 B battery converters and a Wetecom 3-AA flat battery. I aim to make authentic covers for it soon, as I have Hellesens battery graphics. There's a good chance someone will be sending me Tudor Pertrix graphics, and if I receive those, then they'll be put to use instead.

Whoever designed the power supply must've been mad at the world and wanted to get even with all of us. While it's a marvel of compact design, it's also the most tedious, aggravating thing to take apart and troubleshoot. Plan on spending a day just on it if you ever purchase one of these sets.

The hole in the rear is where the power plug is stored. It's an enourmous two-pin affair, and if I wind up getting a replacement, I'll gird my loins and make another attempt at restoring the power supply. Until then, I'm happy with it being battery only.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	luxorclosed.jpg
Views:	249
Size:	61.2 KB
ID:	19455   Click image for larger version

Name:	luxorbackside.jpg
Views:	250
Size:	69.3 KB
ID:	19456   Click image for larger version

Name:	luxoropen.jpg
Views:	345
Size:	56.4 KB
ID:	19457   Click image for larger version

Name:	lxuorinside.jpg
Views:	450
Size:	71.9 KB
ID:	19458  
Old 26th Aug 2008, 7:43 pm   #2
Robert Darwent
Heptode

Default Re: 1955 Luxor "Tripp" WB-21: The Numpty Restoration....

Hello Bill,

You've done a great restoration job there, much patience needed, well done!

I confess that I'm not a great fan of the attache case portables, and this model doesn't initially change that opinion. It looks very much like a cross between a vanity case and several of the Vidor offerings from this side of the Atlantic. However its redeeming feature is that lovely 'crackle' finish! I really like that. Closest thing I've seen to it is the finish on the Amplion ADP1/2 portable. Most unusual!

Regards

Robert G0UHF
www.wavesintheair.co.uk
Old 26th Aug 2008, 8:29 pm   #3
mark pirate
Dekatron

Nice little set bill, i have several similar british sets from the 50s, seem to find
quite a few over here, are there many US sets in that style?

Mark
Old 26th Aug 2008, 10:55 pm   #4
batterymaker1
Heptode

Not at all. Most portables were along the lines of a lunchbox. Only sets that had lids were "personal" portables, and with the advent of the ferrite rod antenna, lids on small sets fell by the wayside.
Old 27th Aug 2008, 8:33 am   #5
Mike Phelan
Dekatron

Very nice indeed, Bill - gives "kitsch" a whole new meaning.

I've never come across Luxor radios at all - I did have a rather cheap Luxor reel-to-reel and serviced many (excellent) Luxor colour TVs when I did it for a living.
Old 27th Aug 2008, 11:43 am   #6
Dave Moll
Dekatron

A mirror-lid radio, eh? At least it's a little less unwieldy (more wieldy?) than the average mirror-lid television.

As others have said - love that crackle finish!
Old 27th Aug 2008, 1:49 pm   #7
batterymaker1
Heptode

Yeah, the mirror's more of a stunt than practical. Can't see a lady trying to fix her makeup by peering through that postage-stamp opening.

Luxor also made a battery-only version of this set. Batteries were the standard B126/AD35 combination.