UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing

Notices

Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing For help with cabinet or chassis restoration (non-electrical), please leave a message here.

Closed Thread

Old 25th Aug 2007, 4:19 pm   #1
Robert Darwent
Heptode

Default Chemically treating Chrome to look like Brass?

Does anyone know if it is possible to chemically treat a chrome metal finish to make it look like brass?

The question is posed with regards to the chrome and brass tuning buttons used on the Bush TR82 portable and variants. As most will be aware the tuning buttons are often missing on these portables and the brass types virtually unobtainable except by taking from a scrap donor set.

However I always seem to have a few of the chrome type spare and so wondered if it was possible to change their finish in some way to a similar colour to brass?

Opinions appreciated.

Robert G0UHF
www.wavesintheair.co.uk
Old 25th Aug 2007, 4:48 pm   #2
howard
Nonode

Default Re: Chemically treating Chrome to look like Brass?

Hello Robert,

I use a mixture of M&P antique gold lacquer and Rustins metal lacquer. Many of the 'brass' trims on 1960s transistor radios were not solid brass, some were brass and nickel plated steel, and some nickel plated steel with a gold varnish sprayed on. If you mix a little M&P lacquer into some Rustins and maybe a spot of cellulose thinners and then very quickly paint it liberally over the chrome trim, within a few minutes it will be dry and will look just like varnished brass. Do take the trim off the Bush TR82B dial first as the cellulose thinners in the Rustins will damage the perspex.

Howard
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	brass_varnish_kit.jpg
Views:	502
Size:	20.1 KB
ID:	11810  

Last edited by howard; 25th Aug 2007 at 5:02 pm.
Old 25th Aug 2007, 5:02 pm   #3
Robert Darwent
Heptode

Hello Howard

Thanks for your reply.

I've heard of Rustins Lacquer, which I believe just gives a protective clear acrylic coating to metals to prevent tarnish. But haven't come across M&P Lacquer before, can you suggest a suitable place to look for it? Just done a quick internet search and not found anything.

I also found this American website which sells metal plating kits;

http://www.caswellplating.com/kits/plugnplate.htm

Very interesting but a little expensive for just doing the odd tuning bright though.

Robert G0UHF
www.wavesintheair.co.uk
Old 25th Aug 2007, 5:06 pm   #4
howard
Nonode

Hello Robert,

Caswell's won't ship many of their chemicals out of North America so get your plating kit here ....

http://caswelleurope.co.uk/ordinfo.htm

You will also need a sisal polishing wheel and various polishing products to polish the trims to perfection before you can degrease and then replate them.

M&P aka Meadows and Passmore are here ...

http://www.m-p.co.uk/

The Rustins that I have here is cellulose rather than acrylic, I bought it last year at Robert Dyas. I guess with the new paint legislation, it may now be acrylic.

Howard

Last edited by howard; 25th Aug 2007 at 5:32 pm.
Old 25th Aug 2007, 5:07 pm   #5
Radio_Dave
Nonode

If the base metal is brass, I suppose you could use wet and dry paper to sand the chrome off and then polish it

It might be worth seeing if another member would like to do a swap first though

David
Old 25th Aug 2007, 5:20 pm   #6
howard
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio_Dave View Post
If the base metal is brass, I suppose you could use wet and dry paper to sand the chrome off and then polish it David
Hello Dave,

I've not encountered a chrome plated brass trim, they're always mild steel, as are the chrome TR82C trims, that's why they rust. I've polished off the brass plate on steel trims with Brasso back to the nickel and then varnished them as above and they look just as good as the originals.

Howard

Last edited by howard; 25th Aug 2007 at 5:27 pm.
Old 25th Aug 2007, 5:28 pm   #7
Robert Darwent
Heptode

I've found the Meadows & Passmore website now Howard. They have three sorts of gold lacquer; pale, medium, and dark. Which one is it you've used before and would recommend please?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio_Dave View Post
If the base metal is brass, I suppose you could use wet and dry paper to sand the chrome off and then polish it
I've thought of that idea myself Dave, but I don't think its solid brass underneath the chrome. More likely nickel or a nickel alloy and I would probably end up ruining the bright. I think colouring as per Howards suggestion is the best way to go. At least it should be reversible if it doesn't look right.

Robert G0UHF
www.wavesintheair.co.uk
Old 25th Aug 2007, 5:31 pm   #8
mikelect
Retired Dormant Member

Hi I did this once on a chrome plated light fitting but just used "standard" light oak varnish it worked extremely well HTH

Mike
Old 25th Aug 2007, 5:36 pm   #9
howard
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrdmpb View Post
I've found the Meadows & Passmore website now Howard. They have three sorts of gold lacquer; pale, medium, and dark. Which one is it you've used before and would recommend please?
I still have the order .....

0358 012515 Lacquer, dark gold 125ml

With P&P and VAT it came to a staggering £8.64 but one needs so little of it it will last for years.

If you send me the trim, I will varnish it for you.

Howard
Old 25th Aug 2007, 7:36 pm   #10
Mike Phelan
Dekatron

Robert
There may be other things in the M & P catalogue that may interest you to lessen the P & P a bit.
Old 26th Aug 2007, 2:17 am   #11
Robert Darwent
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by howard View Post
If you send me the trim, I will varnish it for you.
Thanks for that kind offer Howard, I appreciate it very much. But rather than use up some of your lacquer and take up your valuable time I'll place an order with M&P. A bottle of the lacquer on-hand will most likely come in quite useful from time to time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Phelan View Post
There may be other things in the M & P catalogue that may interest you to lessen the P & P a bit.
Yes I've already downloaded a pdf copy of the catalogue Mike and there is some interesting stuff in it. I probably will end up ordering one or two other things from it as well as the lacquer.

Robert G0UHF
www.wavesintheair.co.uk
Closed Thread