UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 20th May 2018, 2:36 pm   #1
Whaam68
Hexode

Default Howland west audio products tri channel control

Hi
For the princely sum of £1 I picked this up out of curiosity at the DDRC boot today. It seems to be a switching system to try up to 3 pairs of speakers from one amplifier. Bit confused about the “system with control” vs “systems without control”. I haven’t had time to pop the back off...seems nicely made in an early 70s KEF kind of look. Anyone know anything about this item?
Thanks
Mike
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0A8AD849-D3E2-4349-8C24-F66088139C7C.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	90.6 KB
ID:	163220   Click image for larger version

Name:	974A6DEE-CE52-46AA-88CA-9556F7BB2C3C.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	85.8 KB
ID:	163221   Click image for larger version

Name:	BD3E56EB-8EB2-4529-9FD9-176A9217E28E.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	77.8 KB
ID:	163222  
Old 20th May 2018, 5:00 pm   #2
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

Default Re: Howland west audio products tri channel control

I certainly remember Howland West and vaguely remember these. Perhaps it works like a Hafler circuit? I tended to avoid devices like this because of a risk of insertion loss.
Old 20th May 2018, 6:10 pm   #3
Radio Wrangler

I think system without control routes the amplifier direct to a speaker pair. "With control" routes it via those resistive attenuators on the front panel to allow the loudness of each speaker pair to be set equal* I expect it was used in a hifi shop for comparing speakers in those genteel days before magic wires reared their heads and no-one worried about damping factors.

* or a rather fly salesman can set the pair with the greatest sales commission just a little bit louder than the others!

David
Old 20th May 2018, 8:29 pm   #4
Whaam68
Hexode

Thanks gents....the pots feel like wire wound jobs.....I’ll give it a go when I get the chance as I have two sets of speakers in the same room but on separate amps, might be interesting to mess about with. It’s heavy and feels like a solid bit of kit.
Mike
Closed Thread