UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 28th Apr 2018, 7:48 pm   #21
Radio Wrangler

Default Re: Decca Decola information please?

I thought the only way to be fair to the original poster was to have the situation out in the clear so that he could know what sort of thing he had, and also be forewarned of the attention it might attract.

I'm rather looking forwards to the gang guiding him through getting it going and want to see his reaction to the result.

David
Old 28th Apr 2018, 8:20 pm   #22
Michael Maurice

A couple of years ago, I refurbished a Beau Decca which also uses these or similar valves. I told the owner that they were valuable and for her security, I removed the valves and put them in a safe place, whilst taking the chassis back to the workshop for refurbishment

http://www.michaelmauricerepairs.co.uk/
Old 28th Apr 2018, 8:26 pm   #23
Station X

Quote:
Originally Posted by Techman View Post
but the Moderators have already had to delete one post that went on about the supposed value of these valves and also edit another (that I know of).
As far as I know the OP has never askedd about the value of this item. I tried to keep the lid on this, but the cat is now well and truly out of the bag for all the world to see. I did it because I've seen these beautiful radiograms dumped in skips outside auction houses (minus the amplifier of course) or even fly tipped in lay-bys near to auction houses.

Might I suggest that if the OP decides to realise the monetary value of his asset he sells the valves and radiogram as separate items. Then there's a possibility that the radiogram will be bought by a genuine enthusiast who'll restore it using alternative valves.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 28th Apr 2018, 8:43 pm   #24
RojDW48
Nonode

It is something of a quandary for the OP isn't it? Once the potential value of something like this is understood the risk of 'something going wrong' if you try to get it going is going to make you rather nervous.....as is the responsibility for the restoration of an audio icon. He hasn't taken up my offer of popping down the road with my little variac by the way.
Old 28th Apr 2018, 10:01 pm   #25
GrimJosef
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Station X View Post
... Might I suggest that if the OP decides to realise the monetary value of his asset he sells the valves and radiogram as separate items. Then there's a possibility that the radiogram will be bought by a genuine enthusiast who'll restore it using alternative valves.
That would be the best outcome. In a perfect world the radiogram would go on sale first so a purchaser would have the option of making an offer on the valves too.

If folks do fancy substituting KT66s then they'll need to find a couple of volts extra for the heaters of course. Perhaps KT44s would be a better choice http://www.r-type.org/exhib/aad0021.htm ?

Cheers,

GJ

Last edited by GrimJosef; 28th Apr 2018 at 10:10 pm.
Old 28th Apr 2018, 10:18 pm   #26
PJL
Dekatron

Sorry! I thought it best to get the value out in the open as it has an impact on the restoration and the model is already in the title.
Old 1st May 2018, 7:02 pm   #27
Mark Barber
Retired Dormant Member

Gosh, I seem to have opened quite a hornet's nest here! Thanks David, and everyone for all the information. I didn't realise quite how valuble some of these parts are. What do these unscrupulous people do with these (I won't mention which) valves - do they actually use them?
This leaves me in a bit of a predicament because I was thinking of selling (for various reasons, need for money and downsizing mainly) but I don't like the thought of it being broken up. And then if I do sell, how do I know if I'm selling to a genuine collector?
I must say, I wasn't expecting any of this. What to do?
Old 1st May 2018, 7:14 pm   #28
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

I don't recommend you break this up for parts. Assuming by now you have a good idea what a serious collector would pay for this as a whole intact unit?
Old 1st May 2018, 7:22 pm   #29
Mark Barber
Retired Dormant Member

I've just read a few more posts which I didn't see before...
GrimJoseph - yes that may well be the way to go, and RojDW48 I haven't declined your kind offer at all - I would love you to come and look at it, I've been away so not been able to give it my attention. I shall PM you

Oh and Graham Station X - thanks for the suggestion. I shall try to do the right thing.
Old 1st May 2018, 10:51 pm   #30
GrimJosef
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Barber View Post
... What do these unscrupulous people do with these (I won't mention which) valves - do they actually use them? ...
They sell them to people who fit them into hi-fi (depending on exactly what you mean by 'hi-fi') audio amplifiers. In general they do get used - given what they've been charged the new owners really aren't likely to put them on a shelf and just admire the view .

Cheers,

GJ
Old 5th May 2018, 12:31 am   #31
RojDW48
Nonode

I am going to take a look at Mark's Decola later today. I can see that the output from the PS is via a 12 pin Jones socket and I have the expected voltages to hand. Is the pin numbering likely to be nice and logical and/or helpfully in relief on the plug moulding (in the happy, if rather unlikely event that the PS warms up and works after 30 odd years of inactivity)?
Old 5th May 2018, 9:54 am   #32
PJL
Dekatron

As said before, a variac will be high risk due to the series electrolytics and a very small choke for the current it passes. My choke and output transformer were o/c, the output transformer probably from blue-spot. It does not have grid coupling capacitors, but if the output valves have slightly gone to air there is enough power from the mains transformer to wreck stuff.
Old 5th May 2018, 10:05 am   #33
GrimJosef
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by RojDW48 View Post
... in the happy, if rather unlikely event that the PS warms up and works after 30 odd years of inactivity ...
If you take this slowly and systematically and reform the electrolytics first before applying mains then there is every chance that the PS can be made to work perfectly well. As PJL says, a Variac will be high risk, not least because at low settings the rectifier heater/filament will be too cold for any HT current to flow. I do understand the wish to 'just get it going', but honestly haste is not your friend here.

Cheers,

GJ
Old 5th May 2018, 4:27 pm   #34
RojDW48
Nonode

Having spent a pleasant hour or so with Mark and his Decola I can see why the fanatics get a bit excited - 4 stage amplification - all push pull - strong stuff! There were enough issues, however, to make me err on the side of caution. Some of the insulation looks a bit tired, some Rs look like they've been getting a bit too warm. Nevertheless it all seems to be there and there is not much evidence of repairs. This is a long term project for someone who knows what they are doing so, for fear of doing more harm than good, I didn't deploy my little variac. But I did take a few photos of the PS, amp and a homebrew box which appears to be associated with extension speakers.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC05574.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	88.8 KB
ID:	162297   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC05575.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	70.0 KB
ID:	162298   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC05578.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	81.3 KB
ID:	162299  
Old 5th May 2018, 5:02 pm   #35
GrimJosef
Dekatron

Interesting. The middle picture has a yellow-and-blue poly capacitor in it and some Mullard 'mustards' which I suspect might not be original.

Cheers,

GJ
Old 5th May 2018, 6:40 pm   #36
Radio Wrangler

It looks very clean and tidy. It's obviously been stored in a good environment. Given the value, there's a lot to check and reform before daring to apply any power. I think it's best left as it is to leave the field clear for someone to do the full job. There have been a couple of repairs that look like from the late sixties, but not badly done.

David
Old 18th May 2018, 9:15 am   #37
Mark Barber
Retired Dormant Member

A few people have been asking so I thought I'd update... Yes I sold it. It was too much of a project for me. But hopefully it is in good hands - a collector in Staffs who will hopefully be restoring it to it's full glory.
Thanks for the support everyone.
Oh the price? It went for £1500 in the end
Closed Thread