UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Clubs, Groups and Societies

Notices

Clubs, Groups and Societies For discussions about various clubs, groups and societies relating to our hobbies, such as the BVWS (incl RetroTechUK), BATC, RSGB, APTS, CLPGS, THG, TCC, BECG, MCR21 etc. This is NOT an official forum for any of these organisations.

Closed Thread

Old 27th Feb 2018, 10:46 pm   #1
audiomagpie
Heptode

Default BVWS Harpenden Sun 11th March

The BVWS Spring Auction, Swapmeet and AGM takes place Sunday 11th March at Harpenden Public Halls, see: http://www.bvws.org.uk/events/locations.php for times and directions. Doors open at 9.30 (9am for stall holders) £5 at the door, under 15's free.

BVWS AGM is in the side hall at 12pm, please do attend and tell us what YOU want from YOUR society looking forward!

Auction to start afterwards, about 1pm, with approx. 300 lots!

With many stalls, the Bring & Buy table, you will find a huge selection of vintage goodies, including radio, TV, audio/hifi, communications, spares, valves, test gear, service manuals, ephemera, books and much more!

Plus the BVWS table with all the Capacitor values that you need for vintage gear, plus Deoxit, Bulletin back issues and publications/DVD's.

ALL ARE WELCOME, if you're not a member, you can come in as a guest and see what we're all about! You can even take the plunge and join on the day (You'll need to be a member to bid in the auction) Debit/Credit card payments taken for memberships, auction and BVWS stall items.
Hot and cold refreshments served throughout the day!
See you there!

BVWS committee chairman
Old 28th Feb 2018, 12:43 am   #2
Pamphonica
Nonode

Default Re: BVWS Harpenden Sun 11th March

As usual Jeffrey, Brian, and I will be raising money for the Dulwich Vintage Wireless and Television Museum on the Bring and Buy stall. We're no longer in the foyer but just inside the main hall on the left. You can still check in stuff with us during setting up as we'll have a booking-in table in one of the doors to the main hall.

There are 2 ways to sell stuff on the B&B.

1: Donation with 100% going to the Vintage Wireless Museum. We also like this because there's no admin for labels, lists etc.

2: Sales with 10% commission to the Museum. If you have more than a couple of items it helps us a lot if you can make a numbered list with prices, with corresponding numbered labels with prices shown stuck on each item. We then add a serial letter so that your No 3 is different from another No 3. We can do labeling/listing on the day but it really slows things down at busy times. Please use the attached listing sheet to help us.

We close the B&B at 1pm due to the auction but if you've sold anything you can collect the proceeds at any time. Please remember to collect unsold items well before 1pm.

You've all been fabulously generous in the past, raising over £400 at the last Harpenden, so let's hope for another big donation to the Museum this time.

See you there
Attached Files
File Type: pdf B&B Single Sheet.pdf (62.8 KB, 109 views)
File Type: doc B&B Single Sheet.doc (58.0 KB, 69 views)
Old 4th Mar 2018, 9:11 am   #3
high_vacuum_house
Octode

Smile Re: BVWS Harpenden Sun 11th March

Good morning,
Would anyone know whether the BVWS capacitor stall has 32-32uF 500V blue electrolytic capacitors in stock as I need one for an old valve oscilloscope. If I can remember correctly they had run out of this particular value at Golborne last year.

Christopher Capener
Old 4th Mar 2018, 7:26 pm   #4
Sean Williams
Dekatron

Hmm, that's next Sunday dealt with
Old 8th Mar 2018, 6:11 pm   #5
Paul Stenning
Administrator

The auction catalogue is attached, and also on the BVWS website. Further lots will be added on the day.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Harpenden Auction Catalogue 11032018 v2.pdf (61.6 KB, 253 views)

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster
Old 8th Mar 2018, 8:51 pm   #6
MurphyNut
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Williams View Post
Hmm, that's next Sunday dealt with
Sunday's dealt for me "Mothers day!"....so it won't be a radio day!
Old 9th Mar 2018, 9:26 am   #7
crackle
Rest in Peace

Wot no KBs, not one, not even a tiny little one!
Old 9th Mar 2018, 12:08 pm   #8
Cobaltblue

No Cossor Radios either just a Telecheck and some manuals

No matter I would love to go but we are emptying the house before the roof is removed in a couple of weeks time.

Cheers

Mike T
Old 9th Mar 2018, 12:57 pm   #9
Paul Stenning
Administrator

I won't be there unfortunately.

Scheduled maintenance to the Brynglas tunnels on the M4 at Newport will make what is already a long journey (3 hours each way on a good day) even longer, so I'd be spending more time driving than at the event.

I have sent my webmasters report to Greg to read out at the AGM for me.

I hope everyone has a great day and buys lots of goodies.

Paul Stenning
Old 12th Mar 2018, 2:15 pm   #10
Pamphonica
Nonode

A big thank you to Greg and the rest of the BVWS team and to Mike and the auction team. An excellent event as usual. And to Vic and team who managed to arrange sandwiches and tea for sale despite the collapse of the normal catering arrangements just before the event.

The very surprising new layout (with raised stepped staging at the back) actually worked quite well for the Bring & Buy, helping us raise about £550 for the Dulwich Wireless Museum. Thank you all who supported it. The new layout also made the remaining stalls rather busier-feeling which adds to the overall atmosphere.

Only a couple of items won in the auction, despite various other bids. But I did get a very tidy Wattmeter which looks as if it will survive the rigours of outings with amateur radio gear.

And Mike (Crackle), bless him, brought me a lovely Pam record player which when restored should sound cracking.

See you all soon

Jeremy
Old 12th Mar 2018, 4:23 pm   #11
high_vacuum_house
Octode

Smile Re: BVWS Harpenden Sun 11th March

I had a good day and thank all of the BVWS staff for their efforts in making the day work well despite the poor lighting conditions in the hall. Nice meeting up and chatting to people.

Came away with a watch calibrator test rig with CRT in it. looks like it could be useful for my mechanical clocks. Also came away with various peculiar test equipment from the auction which looks fun to restore. I also got the strange twin beam CRT in the auction.

Apart from some caps off the BVWS stall and some 200 watt resistors I didn't get much else for a change.

Glad the little Marconi monitor went to a good home.

Christopher Capener
Old 12th Mar 2018, 4:24 pm   #12
newlite4
Octode

There was definitely a buzz there yesterday the like of which I had not experienced for a good ten years or more. The new layout, although not intended, certainly helped to create a "market" style atmosphere which was felt by all. I was able to pick up lots of little spares that I needed, especially grateful to Roger Grant for having some ARP12s and for the stallholders in the top left who had an original Grundig table mic to complete a restoration. At 1.00pm it was time to pack up, have lunch and head home considerably lighter than when I had arrived earlier in the day!
Neil
Old 12th Mar 2018, 8:47 pm   #13
Nymrod121
Nonode

I enjoyed my day thoroughly and it was a joy to meet many of the hard working people who do so much to make the event a success: Jeremy/Jeffrey and colleagues on Bring'n'Buy; Mike ('Lump-Hammer-for-Unauctioned-Lots') Barker; Vic and his refreshments team (many thanks for the instant line of credit i.e. £1 interest-free overdraft while I went and got some change!) ...

A super atmosphere and some very interesting gear for sale ...

Interesting impromptu chats re. 'Meteor' frequency counters, 'Knickebein', the 'Bruneval Raid', Hedy Lamarr's scientific activities, test gear, broadcast ....

As a certain dance critic would say:

"Fab-u-LOUS!"

Thanks again to all concerned. Next stop: NVCF

Cheers
Guy

Last edited by Nymrod121; 12th Mar 2018 at 8:52 pm. Reason: punctuation/formatting
Old 12th Mar 2018, 9:23 pm   #14
stitch1
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Stenning View Post
I won't be there unfortunately.

Scheduled maintenance to the Brynglas tunnels on the M4 at Newport will make what is already a long journey (3 hours each way on a good day) even longer, so I'd be spending more time driving than at the event.
I can sympathise it would be an 8 hour round trip from here pity there’s no auction in the north.

John
Old 12th Mar 2018, 10:12 pm   #15
slidertogrid
Octode

I too found the new layout OK. I found the bring and buy stall layout better as it was easier to see the bargains as they were more spread out than usual.
Now a confession..
I wanted a mains transformer for a project amplifier I plan to build. I looked for a suitable scrap chassis or set and came away from the B&B with a GEC B.C 5645 for £4. It was dirty the back was hanging off and two of the knobs had trims missing.
I got it home and planned to remove the mains transformer and any other useful bits.
However I felt sorry for it and gave it a bit of a clean and then a bit of a polish and then a bit of power.. needless to say it didn't work!
I have spent most of the day repairing the chassis but that may be a story for a different thread...
It just shows what good value for money this hobby is a whole days fun for £4!
Thanks to all who devote their time to arranging these meetings !

Rich
Old 13th Mar 2018, 6:19 am   #16
Boater Sam
Banned

Location: Middlewich, Cheshire, UK. & Winter in the Philippines.

If the Harpenden halls are to be demolished, could a new venue be more northern to give the lads and lassies up here a fair crack?
Old 13th Mar 2018, 8:47 am   #17
Paul Stenning
Administrator

If you or anyone can suggest a suitable venue (fitting the criteria that Greg suggested in the Bulletin) please contact him.

It would also be very helpful if someone near the venue could help with organising the event for the Society.

Paul Stenning
Old 13th Mar 2018, 9:30 am   #18
Cobaltblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boater Sam View Post
If the Harpenden halls are to be demolished, could a new venue be more northern to give the lads and lassies up here a fair crack?
Well it depends how far North Sam it's already 210 miles each way for us chaps in Exeter i'ts only 169 Miles to Leeds.

There are several members in Penzance that's 298 miles each way so the Guys in Penzance already have to travel twice as far as you do

I suppose the membership demographic needs to be consulted common sense suggests that the travel should be minimised for the majority of members.

Cheers

Mike T
Old 13th Mar 2018, 9:53 am   #19
Paul Stenning
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boater Sam View Post
The Golborne event is in Cheshire which is the county on your profile. Obviously no auction but there is always a van full of stuff from the BVWS store available.

Paul Stenning
Old 13th Mar 2018, 10:13 am   #20
Trifocaltrev
Hexode

Whilst I sympathize with the desire from BVWS northern members, for a venue further north, I am also in agreement with Cobaltblue bearing in mind that our membership is all over the country.

However one has to remember that the bulk of the items offered at BVWS Auctions are transported from the BVWS Store near Swindon to the events. If the events are too far away from the stores our excellent team may well feel that the distance involved is too great to justify the considerable effort involved in loading the van over several days and then a greater travelling time to the venue, which will involve greater expense.

At the end of the day, we have to remember that these events are only made possible by the time and effort freely given by an unpaid band of volunteers.

Regards
Trevor.
Closed Thread