UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 25th Feb 2017, 11:17 pm   #1
trevwgb
Tetrode

Question Line out from a Dynatron 101A

Hi
I have restored a Dynatroon 101a Tuner Amp which does everything it should do as a standalone device. However, I have an extensive Sonos system in my house and I have joined the Dynatron to this via the Tape socket ie I can play music from the hard drive through the Dynatron. Isolated CD players and Cassette players can be played over the Sonos by using their line out. I was hoping that that "Tape 1" would provide a Line level output from the amp and work in the same way, but this does not seem to be the case. Have I got this wrong ( I am no expert re Vintage audio )
Thanks
Regards
Trev
Old 25th Feb 2017, 11:39 pm   #2
dinker11
Tetrode

Default Re: Line out from a Dynatron 101a

You may find that by selecting "tape in" as the source on the Dynatron cuts out any output that might normally be available on the tape out socket to prevent a possible feedback loop.
Try selecting a tuner waveband and see if you get any output with that.
Old 26th Feb 2017, 4:11 am   #3
trevwgb
Tetrode

Default Re: Line out from a Dynatron 101A

Hi
Many thanks for the idea, but no joy
Trev
Old 26th Feb 2017, 6:49 am   #4
JohnBHanson
Heptode

If it is a DIN socket the output is a lot lower level. Usually line output level via a high value resistor of about 500K Ohms.

If you use a multimeter with the power to the dynatron off you should be able to buzz pins 1 and 4 of the DIN socket to the resistor and check its value (look up resistor colour code on the web). If you find this resistor solder a 10k ohm resistor to the leads of this resistor. You will need to find the resistor for left and right channel.
Old 26th Feb 2017, 2:02 pm   #5
trevwgb
Tetrode

Ah - many thanks John - clearly the problem. I'll need to work on that
Much obliged
Trev
Old 28th Feb 2017, 12:08 am   #6
jamesperrett
Octode

If this is an HFC101 then the tape input is designed to be used with 3 head machines so the tape input won't be sent to that output. It works normally with the record deck and radio though. I seem to remember I just used a DIN to 4 phono cable with mine.
Old 6th Mar 2017, 1:39 am   #7
trevwgb
Tetrode

Thanks - I tried the deck and the tuner but still no joy, However, for the time being I have discovered that I can use the headphone output as the line out. This seems to work quite well.
Regards
Trev
Old 6th Mar 2017, 12:24 pm   #8
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

I was going to suggest the headphone output as a rough test some time back, but it's such an inelegant fix, I desisted.
I wouldn't rely on this as there will be a real impedance mispatch here.
Old 8th Mar 2017, 2:59 pm   #9
jamesperrett
Octode

Just one thing that you probably know already... the tape output pins are different to the tape input pins on the DIN socket and you would normally need a DIN to 4 phono plug lead to be able to access them. Most DIN to 2 phono cables only connect to the input pins.
Old 16th Mar 2017, 4:53 pm   #10
trevwgb
Tetrode

Smile Re: Line out from a Dynatron 101A

Thanks James - have not tried that but will
Trev
Old 19th Mar 2017, 1:46 am   #11
trevwgb
Tetrode

Hi
Many thanks -that's the answer - works fine in and out and sounds pretty good. Very satisfying. My zero knowledge of vintage audio has at least improved just a little and I have been able to abandon the intellectually destitute strategy of using the headphone socket!! Thanks to all who took the trouble to offer helpful suggestions,
Regards
Trev
Trev
Old 20th Mar 2017, 2:04 pm   #12
jamesperrett
Octode

Good to know that you've got it sorted out - I inherited an HFC101 from a great uncle and still use it from time to time.
Closed Thread