UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Closed Thread

Old 1st Nov 2014, 9:48 pm   #1
thermionic
Heptode

Default 'Genalex' electric alarm clock

Hi All.

I have been away for a few days and picked up this little clock in a charity shop in Windsor. I am not a collector of clocks, but just had the urge to buy it to see if it would work. From looking around on the 'net, I understand that this has a Smiths movement. I cannot, however, make up my mind which type of movement it is.

It states on the rear panel that it 'starts automatically with current' so I am guessing this would be a later (1950's) model.

I have yet too see if either the motor winding or the alarm 'buzzer' winding has continuity. It was advertised as a 1930's clock, but I somehow think this is a little early.

All information gratefully received!

Many thanks. SimonT.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 1(3).jpg
Views:	237
Size:	70.1 KB
ID:	99570   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 2(3).jpg
Views:	280
Size:	72.2 KB
ID:	99571  
Old 1st Nov 2014, 9:51 pm   #2
thermionic
Heptode

Default Re: 'Genalex' electric alarm clock

And here it is in all its glory!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	photo 3(1).jpg
Views:	287
Size:	59.0 KB
ID:	99572   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 4(1).jpg
Views:	206
Size:	90.3 KB
ID:	99573  
Old 2nd Nov 2014, 11:11 am   #3
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Hi Simon.

This is basically a re-badged Smith's "Callboy", which was apparently produced from between c. 1933 and 1950.

The case and dial are certainly very 1930s art-deco in appearance, very attractive IMHO.

Have fun with it, but bear in mind that the insulation on old clocks is usually a but hit-and-miss, so an RCD outlet and/or an earth connection are a good idea.

Nice that the charity shop had the sense to sell it rather than bin it because it was electric.

Nick
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Callboy.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	57.0 KB
ID:	99592  
Old 2nd Nov 2014, 8:39 pm   #4
thermionic
Heptode

Hi Nick.

Many thanks for the information. I've had a closer look at it today, and was expecting the motor winding to be open circuit. Luckily, both the motor and alarm 'buzzer' coil produced a sensible reading. A 500 VDC insulation resistance test between the mains terminals and metalwork produced a reading in excess of 300 Meg ohms. So far so good.

However, after giving it some juice, the motor refused to turn, but the buzzer worked well. The 'oil' seen on the worm drive in the pictures in my first post turned out to be quite sticky, whether this was an original lubricant or not is open to question, they certainly didn't skimp on it! After removing the rear plate & motor stator, I was able to remove as much of this oil as possible using Servisol switch cleaner on a cotton bud. After re assembly, the clock now works very well, starting every time and exhibits a very comforting low level muffled 'click'.

I have not replaced the lubricant, but have seen some clock oil on line, allegedly the same composition as the original oil used by Smiths, so maybe I will treat it to some of this. Regarding the motor winding, this looks very much like the same size / type of motor used in many Venner & Horstmann time switches over the years.

SimonT.
Old 3rd Nov 2014, 11:05 am   #5
Mike Phelan
Dekatron

Simon,

Your clock is late 1930s. Good to hear the windings are not OC! Winding 48SWG wire isn't fun.

This type of self-starting system came into being about that time, despite the fact that Smiths did make some clocks into the 1950s that had to be hand-started.

The worm only needs a smear of clock oil, as do all the other pivots. Nothing else must be lubricated and it's essential to dismantle the movement completely and wash off all parts with something like IPA or petrol, plus using something like a cocktail stick to poke all the pivot holes out.
Good luck!
Old 3rd Nov 2014, 7:13 pm   #6
thermionic
Heptode

Hello Mike.

Many thanks for your information. I will order some clock oil and use as per your advice. I think this may have been oiled by persons unknown as some point in its life, excess oil staining can been seen on the clock face adjacent the hand pivot.

I am also tempted to fit a capacitive dropper to give the clock motor winding an easier life. With a 220n class 'X' in series with one leg of the mains supply, the motor voltage sits just above 200 Volts with a 235 volt supply. Perhaps I'm being over cautious here!

Regarding the date for this set, this is where I'm not sure! The motor and buzzer lead out wires have a plastic type of insulation. Was this available in the late 1930's?

Many thanks. SimonT.
Old 3rd Nov 2014, 7:19 pm   #7
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Don't forget that the stator may have been replaced, hence "new" insulation.

Do treat the electrical parts with great care - they're fragile, and it's all too easy to cause a fragile coil to fail.

Good luck with it. Along with the Ferranti No.3, it's my favourite small clock from that era.

Nick.
Old 3rd Nov 2014, 8:25 pm   #8
Mike Phelan
Dekatron

Hello Simon,

As Nick says, could have been rewound or replaced but I've seen plastic insulated wires of that era.
Your capacitive dropper isn't a bad idea. Some people even rewind the coils with thicker wire and run them off a wall wart giving, say, 12VAC but for me, that's a bit OTT.
Old 24th Jul 2016, 11:31 pm   #9
Mad Mal
Tetrode

I have one of the Smiths branded models. Still works fine. Had a devil of a time getting the Alarm setting to match up with the position of the hands. It was a bit noisy, but a little very light machine oil on bearings etc did the trick. It's barely audible now and putting small self adhesive felt pads on the case feet stopped motor vibration noise being amplified by the bedside table. The Bakelite these cases are made from, and I know this will sound crazy, benefits from a light smearing and buffing with Olive Oil. Why I don't know, but it seems to help stop the dull "blooming" that sometimes occurs on Bakelite product and helps stop it going brittle. Mind you I wish there was a way of turning down the volume on the alarm buzzer, mine could wake up an entire street.
Closed Thread