UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing

Notices

Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing For help with cabinet or chassis restoration (non-electrical), please leave a message here.

Closed Thread

Old 26th Apr 2005, 1:33 am   #1
Tim
Dekatron

Default Emor Globe scale, finish and other info.

Hi all.
Would you believe it, I have been asked to look at another of these, but this one has damage to the rear of the tuning scale nearly obliterating the markings. Does anyone by any chance have a scan or similar( or tell me how I could do one!!) to allow me to bring another of these unique sets back to decent order.
Also I am wondering about the finish of the metal sphere. This set is a sort of brassy colour, but the stem is chrome.
How gold were the gold ones, and is my example merely a chrome one with the chrome removed. Inside the globe is a coppery finish, but the outside is fairly tarnished.
Thanks
Tim
I can provide photos on request.
Old 26th Apr 2005, 10:21 am   #2
Lowemission
Tetrode

Hi Tim

I might be wrong but i believe the Gold one's were anodised, making the surface slightly rough to touch and with a strong colour, that's going from the original one's I've seen.
If the base metal is showing through it will look very pale and slighly yellowy.

The base metal for the metal sphere is brass (non-magnetic), without going into all the different stages of plating it should have had a layer of copper put on before the chrome plating.

From what i know all models had chrome plated steel stems.

I'm not able to seperate the paper dial from the 2 perspex strips as over time the perspex has stuck to the paper.
I'd be happy to take some photos of the tuning dial if it would help you.

I have the supposedly rarer table model version, as far as i can see all you need to do is to cut off part of the stem from a floor standing model and then you have a table model .

Julian
Old 26th Apr 2005, 9:41 pm   #3
Tim
Dekatron

Thanks Julian
Yes, please would you photograph the dial for me, and hopefully I can make up a transfer for the damaged part.PM me for e-mail adress etc.
Your description of the colour and finish seems accurate. Would you advise keeping the set as-is?
BTW got it going for the first time today. I am well chuffed!
Cheers
Tim
Old 5th Aug 2005, 3:57 pm   #4
Tim
Dekatron

Thanks Tom
Julian has sent me one, which seems to be the same as yours. What a fab job you made of it!
The scale of mine differs in the spacing of the wavebands, that is to say the wavelengths occur in different places in relation to each other, from the two I have mentioned.
I think the one I have is a very early model, as the speaker is attatched to the top of the dome and rotates with it, presumably breaking the connecting wires eventually, and ripping of the speaker connections when the dome falls off!
I could tweek each band I suppose to make the radio tune to the scale.
The owner is happy to leave as is for the moment.
Anyhow, at least it goes( I am listening to the cricket on it now!)
Cheers
Tim
Old 15th Aug 2005, 8:04 pm   #5
Lowemission
Tetrode

Hi Tim

Sorry I hadn't replied to your last PM but I've just had a long stay in hospital.

Tom, nice job you made of your scale.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim
I think the one I have is a very early model, as the speaker is attatched to the top of the dome and rotates with it, presumably breaking the connecting wires eventually, and ripping of the speaker connections when the dome falls off!
My Globe also has the speaker which is attatched to the top of the dome, but as you say the wavebands are spaced different.

Question to Tim & Tom
My tuning dial is made from thin paper which is sandwiched between two pieces of curved perspex, are your's the same.

Defiantly odd things these Globe's, mine has in the past been mistaken for one of those early CCTV's which are suspended from a shop's ceiling

Cheers
Julian

Last edited by Darren-UK; 6th Sep 2007 at 11:00 pm. Reason: Excessive use of emoticons and fixed quote.
Old 18th Jan 2006, 2:09 am   #6
Challenger
Retired Dormant Member

Hi!
I also need some help regarding my Emor Globe from 1945.
As you see in the picture, the station scale all around the radio needs to be replaced.

Thanks!
Paul
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Emor Globe.pdf (391.3 KB, 205 views)
File Type: pdf Emor Globe 2.pdf (391.3 KB, 137 views)

Last edited by Darren-UK; 6th Sep 2007 at 10:51 pm. Reason: General tidying.
Old 16th Oct 2006, 5:41 pm   #7
martin4
Retired Dormant Member

Dear Tom and Tim .
I have an emor with the same problem , a badly damaged scale . I would like to have a copy of your photo shop repaired version . I have tried the links to the downloads, but they go to a blank page. Is it possible to send me a copy or send me a new link to it.
yours in hope.
martin scobie. Torquay.
Old 17th Oct 2006, 12:31 pm   #8
Radio_Dave
Nonode

I downloaded the tuning scale graphics, form Tom, when this thread was first posted .

However, I'm not sure if the 'magic' of the internet has resized it, or is it really about a metre in length

If somebody can measure the depth of the scale and the length of the red MW line, from an original, I'll resize it (if necessary) and attach it to this thread

David
Old 17th Oct 2006, 2:18 pm   #9
batterymaker1
Heptode

Hopefully someone else will be able to step to the plate. My Emor is at my Mom's house. She liked the set so much, she kept it....
Old 17th Oct 2006, 3:02 pm   #10
martin4
Retired Dormant Member

Dear all at the forum.
Both tom and tim have responded, and I now have a copy. It is indeed a super copy and must have taken many hours. The outside circumference of the scale is indeed nearly a meter Just under 39ins . Thanks also to batterymaker for the offer of a copy.

This really is a very friendly and helpfull group, thanks all again.
Martin. Torquay.
Old 25th Aug 2007, 1:48 pm   #11
Radio_Dave
Nonode

Here's the scans, as I downloaded them, but with the quality slightly reduced

David
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	EMOR 1.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	181.0 KB
ID:	11807   Click image for larger version

Name:	EMOR 2.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	191.0 KB
ID:	11808