UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing

Notices

Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing For help with cabinet or chassis restoration (non-electrical), please leave a message here.

Closed Thread

Old 20th Aug 2007, 10:43 pm   #1
dominicbeesley
Octode

Default TV24 - Varnish or Lacquer?

Hello,

This is for a bush TV24, the cabinet is pretty shocking, the woodworm have had a field day and it got scratched to hell in a recent house move. So when I sand down and start afresh should I use varnish or lacquer.

This is my first telly, a serendipitous find. I'm not going for 100% authenticity but want to use it as my workshop telly!

Cheers

Dom
Old 20th Aug 2007, 11:14 pm   #2
chipp1968
Rest in Peace

Default Re: TV24 - Varnish or Lacquer?

In that case i would advise Danish oil put on with a cloth , several layers ,and then maybe wax polish put on sparingly with 0000 grade wire wool and polished .after all the hard work of preparing the cabinet . TRY to do agood job though its always worth the effort
Old 21st Aug 2007, 1:08 am   #3
dominicbeesley
Octode

I might try that as a starter, would that be straight on with the danish oil to sanded down wood. Would that be "reversible" or does the danish oil soak into the wood?

I have tried out car lacquer on an ruined Pye P76F, which looks good (from a distance a couple of runs on the side).

I'm just not sure what the best match to original would be.

Cheers

Dom
Old 25th Aug 2007, 11:29 am   #4
chipp1968
Rest in Peace

I think danish oil with a cloth is probably your best bet ,its sands back easily too ,doing it with a cloth makes it slower and the layers are thinner , but it makes it more fool proof , u can put a layer on carefully with a brush , but it may show up if you are not familier withdoing the job , but again its reasonably easy to sand back . just make sure all sanding pre and during the process is with the grain only .
spraying laquer ,if thats what you used again is ok once you master the teqnke of doing it . but mistakes are probably harder to correct
Closed Thread