UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing

Notices

Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing For help with cabinet or chassis restoration (non-electrical), please leave a message here.

Closed Thread

Old 8th Aug 2007, 5:35 pm   #21
Aerodyne
Octode

Default Re: Faded veneer

Hard to advise without seeing the thing at first hand, but for what its worth, this is my approach, first when using toner: I use two-part wood filler to fill small areas. I guess the lighter 'normal' colour would be best with a bleached cabinet, though it can be bought with pigment already added, or you could add a LITTLE stain to the two-part mix to darken the stuff. This is then carefully sanded and smoothed, the spraying and toning process generally concealing the repair well. If using Danish Oil as a finish, the bleached wood probably would have to be stained before the oil is applied. Missing veneer can be filled afterward with Beaumontage (wood coloured wax sticks, Axminster again).
-Tony
Old 8th Aug 2007, 7:23 pm   #22
Panrock
Nonode

My feeling is it would be safer to get the bleaching over with before the filling.

I use plastic wood for filling, sometimes reinforced with superglue, especially around the edges of the repair.

There's a blow-by-blow account of a complete cabinet repair HERE with details of all the tricks I find work for me. Many will have seen this before - it's part of the TV restoration I recently publicised.

Also see HERE and HERE. Hope you find it helpful.

Steve
Old 8th Aug 2007, 7:48 pm   #23
Aerodyne
Octode

Steve pointed out:
Quote:
My feeling is it would be safer to get the bleaching over with before the filling.
Absolutely - sorry I didn't make that clear.
-Tony
Old 10th Aug 2007, 3:16 pm   #24
Radio_Dave
Nonode

I've considered the comments about filling after bleaching, but I've decided to do the filling first.

My reason is that I don't know how far the bleach will penetrate the veneer and if I start spot sanding around the filled areas I'll end up with a patchy colour again... I guess time will tell

Thanks
David
Old 12th Aug 2007, 1:10 pm   #25
Radio_Dave
Nonode

I got up early this morning and bleached the cabinet with oxalic acid.

The results were mixed but surprising. The bleach didn't do what I expected and 'bleach' the colour, but it seems to be refreshed and brightened it (see photo). I certainly won't be staining it.

The 'greyness' and black, dirty, marks have gone. The colour is more even, but it's far from perfect. I think I'll just have to accept that this radio was in a very poor state to start with.

The only real downside was the amount of liquid that I had to pour over the poor old thing. The cabinet had to be flooded with the oxalic acid to get it to 'sit' on the veneer, for the required time. Then it had to be washed, thoroughly, with neutralizing solution and then clean water! I'll have to leave it, for quite a few days, to dry out before I do anything else. Lets hope the veneer doesn't fall off

David
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	4.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	93.9 KB
ID:	11476  
Old 12th Aug 2007, 5:39 pm   #26
Ian B
Hexode

That looks 1000 times better already Dave!. I had a similar problem with the oxalic acid, it doesn't seem to "wet" the surface easily.
Keep up the good work.

Ian Blackbourn
Old 12th Aug 2007, 6:31 pm   #27
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Yes, that's going to look stunning... especially when you compare it with the "garden shed" wreck you started with.

Nick.
Closed Thread