UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing

Notices

Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing For help with cabinet or chassis restoration (non-electrical), please leave a message here.

Closed Thread

Old 2nd Aug 2007, 3:57 pm   #1
Radio_Dave
Nonode

Default Speaker cloth identification (RAP 846).

Hi,

Can anybody identify the speaker cloth in the attached photo.

It's a very distinctive, heavyweight, cloth and I've seen it used in other radios.

I'm sure this cloth has a specific name and I have a feeling that speaker cloth is not it's only and/or original use

Thanks
David
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	81.2 KB
ID:	11299  
Old 2nd Aug 2007, 6:06 pm   #2
Tim
Dekatron

Default Re: Speaker cloth identification

Hi Dave.
Not sure if this is the case with your set, but a similar effect could be achieved with the stuff used for needle point or embroidery. I think it's called AIDA and sold at haberdashers etc. It has a nice course weave and being cotton, takes dye well.
I used some, dyed brown (Dylon washing machine dye, or they also do cold water dye. Wilkinsons,Robert Dyas etc.)c, on a 1935 Marconiphone 264 recently, and it looked very good. (Even if I say so myself! )
Even a peice of old roller towel has the right type of "grain"

Last edited by Darren-UK; 9th Mar 2008 at 11:51 pm. Reason: Crucial typo corrected.
Old 2nd Aug 2007, 8:21 pm   #3
maitiustandun
Pentode

hi dave , it looks rather like hemp to me , like the type of sacking that was used for grain many years ago , a weavermight be able to point you in the right direction , good luck with your quest , regards maitiu.
Old 2nd Aug 2007, 8:31 pm   #4
chipp1968
Rest in Peace

Its a woven string type of thing ,I have seen it on other things ,I think my pye MM has in in the rear door , so it must have ben available widely . actually i think i had some somewhere , not sure if i still have
Old 2nd Aug 2007, 8:43 pm   #5
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Also used in early Pye Black Boxes, I think.
Old 2nd Aug 2007, 9:16 pm   #6
Paul_RK
Dekatron

Yes: and Goblin TimeSpots, and at the rear of the first Ever Ready Sky Queen: on several mid-30s Cossors I believe, and on my Defiant M900. The durability of the stuff seems to have made it a popular replacement for the usual types of speaker cloth. I have a 1931 Philco console set that I'm sure wouldn't have started out with it, but which has a piece now. "Woven string" is all I've ever thought to call it, though.

Paul
Old 3rd Aug 2007, 5:41 pm   #7
kalee99
Rest in Peace

Smile Re: Speaker cloth identification

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio_Dave View Post
Hi,

Can anybody identify the speaker cloth in the attached photo.

It's a very distinctive, heavyweight, cloth and I've seen it used in other radios.

I'm sure this cloth has a specific name and I have a feeling that speaker cloth is not it's only and/or original use

Thanks
David
Hi,
I have replaced this stuff before. I used an old "Lloyd loom", basket chair looks identical to me
Unfortunately Lloyd loom stuff is now getting valuable so I doubt if I will be able to get another one at my local flea market for £2.00p!
Good luck,
Paul.
Old 3rd Aug 2007, 7:45 pm   #8
chipp1968
Rest in Peace

looks the same but i think Lloyd loom is stiff with wire in it , this stuff is more floppy .Actually lloyd loom went through a valuable period about 16 years ago , i dont think its so popular now.
Old 4th Aug 2007, 9:36 am   #9
Radio_Dave
Nonode

Thanks for the replies, I'm surprised so many recognised it, especially in view of the poor picture that I posted!

I have discovered that it was used for some vintage Marshall amplifiers and that has helped me to find an American supplier of a reproduction cloth. However at 75$ per meter + P&P + import tax, etc it's not really an option

I think in this instance, originality will have to go out the window and something from Sid Chaplin will be used

Thanks
David
Old 4th Aug 2007, 11:39 am   #10
Paul_RK
Dekatron

What's the radio? The vertical bars make me think of an RAP but if so I don't quite recognise it (not that I necessarily would anyway). Just thinking that, as this material was very often used during and around WWII for replacing more decorative but more vulnerable pieces of cloth when they were damaged, it would be worth trying to ascertain whether it's even original to the model before any endeavour to find an accurate replacement. Of course, you may have checked this already

Paul
Old 4th Aug 2007, 11:50 am   #11
Radio_Dave
Nonode

Yes Paul, it's a RAP 846

You make a very interesting point and it's got me thinking! I must admit that the cloth on the back door is alot more 'fancy' than the front!

I know another forum member who has the same radio, so I'll send him a PM

Regards
David
Old 4th Aug 2007, 7:29 pm   #12
Duke_Nukem
Octode

Heres some pics of my 846, including the cloth. I think Dave's cloth is original. It should be the same cloth thats used on teh rear cover too.

TTFN,
Jon
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	rap846front.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	39.7 KB
ID:	11327   Click image for larger version

Name:	cloth.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	73.2 KB
ID:	11328  
Old 4th Aug 2007, 7:36 pm   #13
Radio_Dave
Nonode

Thanks Jon,

Actually your cloth isn't like mine, but it does match the fabric on my back door. I therefore assume mine isn't original and means I'm free to ditch it .

Regards
David
Old 5th Aug 2007, 12:10 pm   #14
Ben_Dijkman
Pentode

perhaps this is a good "look-a-like"
the colour is very easy to chance by water-based colouring
or something like coffee or strong tea etc.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	doek26new.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	76.1 KB
ID:	11336  
Old 5th Aug 2007, 7:35 pm   #15
Duke_Nukem
Octode

Hi Dave,

Have attached a close-up of the cloth on mine. But I still rekon yours is correct, produced 1946 post-war shortages almost certainly meant that RAP couldn't always use exactly the bits they wanted to.

TTFN,
Jon
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	cloth.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	53.7 KB
ID:	11340  
Old 5th Aug 2007, 7:53 pm   #16
Radio_Dave
Nonode

Hi Jon,

The cloth in your picture is exactly what I have in the back door. I've attached a close up picture of the knotted string affair that's in the front .

Surely it's not original, if RAP really were having shortages I would expect that horrible string stuff to be put at the back!

Thanks
David
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	76.9 KB
ID:	11341  
Old 5th Aug 2007, 11:55 pm   #17
rob77
Tetrode

Hi David.
Im sure i have some of this woven stuff, could you let me know the size you need and i will see what i can do. If i have some you could pop into the shop and pick it up if it is any good.

Cheers
Rob
Old 6th Aug 2007, 12:04 am   #18
Radio_Dave
Nonode

Hi Rob,

Thanks for the offer, but I'm certain that this woven cloth isn't original, so I'm going to take the opportunity to fit something a bit more fancy

Regards
David
Old 6th Aug 2007, 3:55 pm   #19
rob77
Tetrode

Hi David
I can quite understand why, it is horrible. I restored a radio for a customer and i removed what i have from their set. Its so stiff its really hard to make it look good.

Regards
Rob
Old 7th Aug 2007, 12:10 pm   #20
350i
Triode

Hi David
I have 3 RAP's from this period, though all are table models. Two of them have exactly the same woven-string as on your console, even the the colour is spot on. The other has the same speaker cloth as in the photo Jon has posted, which I'd always assumed wasn't original, so I'm pleased I saw this thread or I might have ditched it!
Maybe there's something in what Jon has said and they were having to chop and change, your cloth looks original to me and is certainly more durable on a large console...
Regards
Trevor
Closed Thread