UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 22nd Dec 2016, 1:44 pm   #1
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

Default 37" Colour CRT TVs

I think the largest CRT made here in the UK for domestic use was a 37" Colour tube. Was the make Mitsubishi? I certainly can remember them in the showrooms. They were certainly expensive and were very bulky that I suspect not many were sold. I guess these represented the very peak of CRT Television. I wonder how collectable these will become over time?
Old 22nd Dec 2016, 3:54 pm   #2
cmjones01
Nonode

Default Re: 37" Colour CRT TVs

Such enormous CRTs were much more common in the US. I remember going there in the early 2000s and seeing lots of 37"+ CRTs. Interestingly they weren't widescreen, unlike their counterparts on this side of the Atlantic.

I suspect they will become collectible simply because they were superseded so quickly and are huge, heavy and inconvenient to store. Not likely to be quietly forgotten about in a spare corner of the house!

Chris
Old 22nd Dec 2016, 3:58 pm   #3
FERNSEH
Dekatron

I think it was Mitsubishi that made a 37" CTV. 4:3 aspect ratio CRT. 33" CRT sets were very common.

DFWB.
Old 22nd Dec 2016, 5:36 pm   #4
paulsherwin

The US stuck with 4:3 until HD arrived so there are proportionally fewer CRT WS sets there.
Old 22nd Dec 2016, 6:04 pm   #5
Radio Wrangler

I'm not sure I'd describe the huge 4:3 CRTs in the 1980s as the peak of CRT TV, the pictures looked awful.
I have a 32" quintrix acuity 16:9CRT job that I think was the bestI could find in 2004.

David
Old 22nd Dec 2016, 6:20 pm   #6
Maarten
Dekatron

I think Grundig had a few sets with 37" 4:3 tubes. Philips had 36" 16:9 sets, with either Panasonic or their own tubes. Some years before going bankrupt in 2006, LG Philips Displays invested in a few jumbo production lines that were able to produce different sizes between 28" and 36" more economically. Of course that only speeded up their first bankrupcy and they never survived the second one.
Old 22nd Dec 2016, 6:35 pm   #7
MotorBikeLes
Nonode

I was the silly beggar whose job was to test hundreds of CRTs, including many suspect ones taken from new sets. I think I only met Panasonic ones in 37", none in their cabinets so I never knew which sets they came from. Not that many of these fortunately, and I always had help lifting them on and off my test rig.
Les.
Old 22nd Dec 2016, 7:39 pm   #8
John123
Heptode

A rather nice Mitsubishi example here. Interesting how there's settings for colour purity depending on where the set is positioned (relative to the earth's magnetic field).

I recall they used to suffer with the screen corners being ever so slightly darker than the rest of the image, although I never did see one 'in the flesh' so-to-speak.
Old 22nd Dec 2016, 7:56 pm   #9
evingar
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Huggins View Post
I wonder how collectable these will become over time?
I'm sure a few people will collect them, but I think the size will put a "crimp" on general desirability - like we find currently with "sideboard" style radiograms.
Old 22nd Dec 2016, 8:02 pm   #10
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

I had experience in the 1990s of some really-large Tandberg CRT displays being used in medical imaging venues - in these the tube was hung vertically above the venue, and the image was beamed down and reflected via a 45-degree mirror on to the rear of a translucent screen facing the viewers. This had the advantage that the space housing the electronics could be easily sealed and isolated from the [clinically clean] environment where the viewers were.

It worked surprisingly well, but CAT/MRI gear went high-resolution which the big CRTs couldn't handle and IBM delivered this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IBM_T2...1_LCD_monitors

at the turn of the century which killed CRTs.
Old 22nd Dec 2016, 8:04 pm   #11
vidjoman
Dekatron

I knew several people who had 36 inch Panasonic WS TVs. Often delivered by 4 strong guys. When two of us tried to move one we could hardly lift it let alone shift it. The pictures were good for those days. Quite quickly superseded by larger plasma tvs and subsequently LCDs.
Old 22nd Dec 2016, 8:27 pm   #12
MALC SCOTT
Octode

I remember Samsung made 37 inch ctv (not widescreen)
Old 22nd Dec 2016, 11:17 pm   #13
Mike Fulton
Pentode

I replaced the CRT in a 37" 4:3 Mitsubishi on site - not something that's easily forgotten!!
The cabinet was a horrible imitation wood affair, I seem to remember it sold for about £2700 at the time (we had it in stock for quite a while).
As previously stated, the picture was terrible, you can imagine what sort of a customer bought one......
Unfortunately they're still out there
Old 22nd Dec 2016, 11:49 pm   #14
hans
Heptode

I think there were even larger CRTs. At least Loewe had 42" WS CRTs.
Old 23rd Dec 2016, 2:01 am   #15
Clydeuk
Hexode

I remember working on a huge Grundig in the early 90's. At the time it was brand new. I assume this was 37 inch, though my memory says it was bigger, maybe this was just due to it being 4:3. I remember it had all kinds of fancy trick effects like freeze frame and even a frame by frame mosaic. Why anyone would want that I have no idea.

It was a 4 man lift, and from memory the picture was awful.

I thought I read at the time there was a maximum CRT size before it became impractical due to atmospheric pressure. I assume they got around some of these limitations.
Old 23rd Dec 2016, 1:38 pm   #16
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

Yes - there was a Grundig 37" 4:3. One customer had one in his garage in front of his exercise machine! To move it you threaded two steel bars (supplied) through holes at each lower side. Then two strong people could lift it - but you were in real trouble if you let the set twist as nothing would stop it.
The Toshiba 36" widescreen (the one with the DFS module) was fairly common, with the equivalent Hitachi, Sony and Panasonic not far behind. These cost around £1500 and I have a couple of customers who still have them working well. I still have a salvaged tube if anyone wants one?
The Mitsubishi 37" was the monster and I admit the last one I saw I looked at the dirty innards, made suitable excuses and left, never to return.
My abiding memory of the big boys was delivering a 36" 4:3 Toshiba up a fire escape with the owner above me, puffing and panting. I just prayed he didn't let go as I'd have stood no chance, though it would have been an appropriate way to go, crushed by a telly!
Glyn
Old 23rd Dec 2016, 2:00 pm   #17
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

The last monster CRT set I went to which had a major panel burn up (BER) got buried in the customer's garden. Quite a few years ago that was.

Terrible picture from what I remember too.
Old 23rd Dec 2016, 10:31 pm   #18
hans
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clydeuk View Post
I remember working on a huge Grundig in the early 90's. At the time it was brand new. I assume this was 37 inch, though my memory says it was bigger, maybe this was just due to it being 4:3. I remember it had all kinds of fancy trick effects like freeze frame and even a frame by frame mosaic. Why anyone would want that I have no idea.
It was the show off factor. I had a customer which had a set like this. It wasn't very reliable. Once it burned a rather big hole in the print under the LOPT due to a DJ. Could I have been a 100 Hz set? This set was probably from the very late 80's and had the effects mentioned above. I even think you also could get a mosaic of the first nine programs.
Old 24th Dec 2016, 12:58 am   #19
Maarten
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by hans View Post
I think there were even larger CRTs. At least Loewe had 42" WS CRTs.
Are you sure about that? If so I would very much like to know more about those.
Old 24th Dec 2016, 1:10 am   #20
Lloyd 1985
Nonode

The biggest CRT (screen size) I've ever encountered has been a Samsung Slimfit, I think it's 32". Certainly a heavy beast! It made it into my old workshop in Daventry, and lived on the floor, as I couldn't move it on my own! I did manage to disassemble it on my own, lifting the CRT out of the front cabinet was not a pleasant experience, it had to be done, as the cabinet was disgusting after being in a heavy smokers house. That has 100Hz when on standard definition signals, but it drops back to 50Hz when displaying 1080i. I don't think I'll ever encounter a bigger tube!

Regards,
Lloyd.
Closed Thread