UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 3rd Dec 2016, 10:16 pm   #1
Vauxfan2k
Hexode

Default Panasonic NV-F75 head vibration.

Have one of these machines that plays fine but has a funny vibration which seems like it's combing from the upper head drum. Turning it by hand it feels smooth and no notches but as you will hear from my video clip it makes a vibrating noise which resonates through the machines casing and any hard surface it's placed upon.

Can I service this myself or does it need a replacement lower drum motor?

Cheers

https://youtu.be/7wUiyUypYaI
Old 3rd Dec 2016, 10:37 pm   #2
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

Default Re: Panasonic NV-F75 head vibration.

Could even be power supply caps on the secondary,as they do give oddball faults.
Old 3rd Dec 2016, 11:40 pm   #3
Vauxfan2k
Hexode

It's definitely a motor vibration. I'm going to slacken off the head screws and retighten to see if that makes any difference.
Old 3rd Dec 2016, 11:54 pm   #4
Vauxfan2k
Hexode

Confirmed it's the head motor, had the lid off and with a tape playing and when the heads spin up when lacing the tape the vibration begins. bearings must be on way out. Have a donor fs-100 if the motor is the same then that will be a bonus.
Old 14th Dec 2016, 12:07 pm   #5
IanNVJ35
Heptode

I had this one one of these. A new lower drum cured it, and it was caused by the metal shaft binding. No idea why it did that, and even stripping and lubing failed to resolve. I have had this also with capstans - they jam solid for seemingly no reason. Incorrect metal hardness perhaps.
Old 16th Dec 2016, 11:54 pm   #6
Vauxfan2k
Hexode

Just been servicing my other f75 and I took this one out again to compare the head alignment etc. Didn't actually change anything but when I plugged it in and played a tape the heads are nice and smooth now. Have left it playing for over an hour and it's perfect.

I swear there's ghosts in this house that are trying to torment me with these machines!
Closed Thread