UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 26th Mar 2020, 8:52 pm   #1
Mikebee88
Triode

Default Tandberg 3300X Tape Machine - Spool Table Brakes

Just wondering if anyone has had experience in servicing the Tandberg 3300X Crossfield reel to reel tape recorder.

The issue I have is with the spool tables braking system which seems to use three equi-spaced pads, each pad about 3mm by 8mm in cross section and about 350mm wide mounted in a 70mm diameter circle. There is gap between each pad on the circle roughly the width of the pads. The question is: what are these pads made of as I need to fabricate new ones. They seem to resemble fossilised cork sheet as they are very brittle and disintegrate with any attempt to handle them.

I have a copy of the service manual which details fine adjustments to the braking system components but no mention of these pads.

Any suggestions or advice would be gratefully received.
Old 26th Mar 2020, 9:32 pm   #2
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Default Re: Tandberg 3300X Tape Machine - Spool Table Brakes

Sounds like my Tandberg 6000X spool clutch material, see my Thread "Tandberg 6000X Stiff Operating Lever in Play Position" post # 16 onward. My understanding is that it is a cork type material.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tandberg 6000 Take Up Reel Clutch Material.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	102.7 KB
ID:	201657  
Old 26th Mar 2020, 9:41 pm   #3
KeithsTV
Nonode

I've got the same problem with my Tandberg 3500 and have bought some 4mm cork sheet to fabricate some new pads. I'm hoping to find time to make and fit the new pads soon.

Keith
Old 26th Mar 2020, 10:32 pm   #4
DMcMahon
Dekatron

While searching around I found this info from 2009

When Tandberg 6000X came in 1969 the clutches was made of polyurethane, wich detoriates.... Serviceparts made of cork was later available.

See the link http://nrhf.no/kjop-salg/repdeler.html#1
-and use the emailadress there.
The prize is approximately 14 euro for clutches and belts.

-Lasse.

This must the same Lasse who is referenced in post 14 of my Thread referenced above.
Old 27th Mar 2020, 12:59 am   #5
barretter
Heptode

You can buy cork discs very cheaply on eBay and they do the job nicely.
Old 27th Mar 2020, 5:55 am   #6
ricard
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMcMahon View Post
This must the same Lasse who is referenced in post 14 of my Thread referenced above.
Yes, it certainly is.

I actually had the good fortune of meeting with Lasse when I was on vacation on Oslo last year. Via the email address on the NRHF web page I asked if there were any Tandberg museums in Oslo; he responded by saying no there wasn't, but we could meet up at the NRHF, which we subsequently did, for a tour of the premises and a chat. He still makes and refurbishes rubber parts in his spare time.

The only other connection with him I've had is as a satisfied customer. I bought friction pads and had the pinch roller refurbished by him for a Tandberg 4000X several years ago. Unfortunately the machine was stolen a couple of years ago, but if I remember correctlyr, the pads had the appropriate friction coefficient and the pinch roller was excellently refurbished (cheaper refurbishments from other suppliers I have had experience with often leave the roller not completely round, which might be good enough though for a simpler machine such as a Tandberg 8 that you just want to get going).
Old 27th Mar 2020, 4:01 pm   #7
DMcMahon
Dekatron

The link in post 4 does not appear to work but the link attached below from the other thread does:-

http://nrhf.no/kjopsalg/repdeler.php

It is in Norwegian but you can toggle it into English and other languages from the bottom right of the web page.
Old 28th Mar 2020, 5:44 pm   #8
Mikebee88
Triode

Many thanks to all who contributed to this thread. As I first thought, sheet cork would appear to be the preferred material for lining the underside of the spool tables. I will follow up the NRF link (thanks DMc) but firstly I will pursue my intention to fabricate the pads from self adhesive 4mm dense grained sheet cork. I have made a couple of concentric plastic formers which I will use with a scalpel to cut out a ring of cork and then cut to length.

Such a complicated tape transport design on this Tandberg; Revox had the right idea - just keep it simple and have dedicated spool motors!
Old 28th Mar 2020, 9:29 pm   #9
ricard
Octode

The tape transport is refined version of a design that was introduced in 1956! But sure, a single motor design will always be more mechanically complex than a three motor design. Tandberg did eventually make three motor machines too, but the single motor machines were still in production until the end.
Old 17th Apr 2020, 4:25 pm   #10
Mikebee88
Triode

Thanks to Ricard, I got in touch with Lasse in Norway who has now supplied me six composite rubber-type pads for the spool tables and three small rectangular pads used elsewhere in the transport system. I will use an impact adhesive to fix them in place such that there’s no chance of them coming adrift! But these do seem much better suited than cork and if they last as long as the originals then the machine will be getting on for a hundred years old!
Old 18th Apr 2020, 5:40 am   #11
ricard
Octode

I can't vouch for the longevity of the rubber that Lasse uses, but it seems to me that it certainly is possible to manufacture rubber which will last a long time - the rubber that Philips used prior to the 'goo era' is a case in point, and it seems to me that early machines tended to use better quality rubber, with lower quality rubber being introduced gradually during the 60s as manufacturers learned production control and decided to save a few pence on each machine by using lower quality rubber that still would last the intended service life of the machine. However, when it comes to currently available aftermarket rubber parts from reputable sources (such as Lasse), I would think that higher quality rubber would be the norm, as it's no longer a mass product made by large manufacturers looking to save money in large scale production.
Old 3rd Jun 2020, 10:57 pm   #12
Hedgepig1957
Diode

Hi, Keith
Did you manage to try out the cork replacements? I now have the same problem with my 3300X (1974) model. Cheers!
Old 3rd Jun 2020, 11:47 pm   #13
KeithsTV
Nonode

Yes I did. Cut a circle from the cork sheet cut it into 6 pieces and used epoxy to stick 3 to each of the spools. Wind and rewind are much better but I think I need to replace the drive belt as it will only wind about two thirds of a 7" reel!

Keith
Old 4th Jun 2020, 12:06 am   #14
KeithsTV
Nonode

Here's the template I used for the cork pads. Inner diameter is 55mm and outer diameter is 75mm.

I used a glue stick to glue the template temporarilyto the 4mm cork then used a scalpel to cut round the outer line then cut along the inner line. Cutting along the radial lines gives 6 pads which can then be glued in place of the old pads. Clean off any traces of the old pads first.

There was another small pad which acted on the right spool which had also degraded. I used a small piece from the scrap cork for this pad although it should be about 2mm thick so I had to shave off a couple of mm to get it to work properly.

Keith
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Tandberg clutch outline.pdf (79.2 KB, 119 views)
Closed Thread