UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 23rd Mar 2020, 7:45 am   #81
Atmosferit
Triode

Default Re: Diagnosing temperature related noise?

Unfortunately did not work.

The first day of testing I was able to play about three complete tapes (both side) without a single glitch, then I went to bed, and the next morning it started glitching again after about 15 minutes, and 5 minutes after the channel was completely gone.

The next day the audio was back, and then quickly vanished again.

With a thermal imaging device a colleague had, I checked the hot points, appart from the two Dolby chips (that go up to 51 celcius) and a component near the power supply section, everything is in the same temperature range.

I tried to use a freeze can, temperature dropped all over, but the sound did not come back.

What I noticed before the sound degraded, was that the "fish" smell was back, so could it simply be chemical related instead of thermal: When not using the device for a while, it can play music for a while, but after that, as long as I use it, it only work for a short period of time.

Could it simply be something chemical that "restabilized" when not in use but then fail quickly when it's been used recently?
Old 23rd Mar 2020, 10:51 pm   #82
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Default Re: Diagnosing temperature related noise?

Well that is really bad news ! I thought and hoped that you had managed to crack it.

Well chemical could be a capacitor, particularly an electrolytic, I know you have visually checked them for any obvious untoward signs.
Closed Thread