UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Computers

Notices

Vintage Computers Any vintage computer systems, calculators, video games etc., but with an emphasis on 1980s and earlier equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 23rd Aug 2022, 10:55 pm   #1
Herald1360
Dekatron

Default Cherry keyboard

Seeing the thread about the ACER 286 keyboard prompted me to post a similar question about a Cherry keyboard of slightly later vintage.

It's a Modell MX 3000M, made in Germany, other details as per label. It has a "Windows" key and a 5-pin DIN connector.

ISTR it cost about £75 from RS back in the day. I bought it at work when the crappy OEM keyboard on my then 486 desktop failed, and hung on to it through several later machines until "persuaded" that I should stick to the newly introduced company policy regarding using only the keyboards supplied with the company's computers. Something to do with all computers now having the same maker's name on them as the company itself!

It hid in my office cupboard for many years and I eventually got it signed off as scrap and rehomed it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20220823_223935.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	89.6 KB
ID:	263524   Click image for larger version

Name:	20220823_223809.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	30.1 KB
ID:	263525  
.........O..Chris....O
Old 24th Aug 2022, 12:30 am   #2
SiriusHardware
Dekatron

Default Re: Cherry keyboard

You can (or you could) get passive 5-pin DIN to PS/2 adaptors and intelligent PS/2 to USB adaptors to allow you to plug that keyboard into a current machine. I know this because my original Raspberry Pi is built into a keyboard very like that and the keyboard's cable and DIN plug are routed internally to just such an adaptor chain which in turn is plugged into the Pi.

So - you could potentially still use that nice keyboard with a modern machine.
Old 24th Aug 2022, 4:13 am   #3
majoconz
Heptode

SH said:
Quote:
You can (or you could) get passive 5-pin DIN to PS/2 adaptors and intelligent PS/2 to USB adaptors
Indeed - here's my keyboard (pre 'Windows' key) and it's PS/2 to USB adapter...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Keyboard and adaptor.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	60.7 KB
ID:	263526  
Old 24th Aug 2022, 8:58 am   #4
ScottishColin
Octode

I have an IBM Model M - it only works with modern PCs with an active adaptor - the passive one would not work at all.

I bought an active connector (PERIPRO-401 PS2 To USB Adapter) which splits into mouse and keyboard connectors for when I get an IBM PS/2 mouse...

Colin.
Old 24th Aug 2022, 11:44 am   #5
McMurdo
Dekatron

I think I bought a cherry keyboard from either RS or farnell. A the time they offered a lifetime warranty with it.
Old 24th Aug 2022, 11:55 am   #6
SiriusHardware
Dekatron

The passive PS/2 to USB adaptors assume that the keyboard to be used with them is 'Bilingual' and can communicate either using PS/2 or USB signalling. When the PC starts up it sends a query signal out to the keyboard, 'Hello keyboard, are you there?' and a dual format keyboard will respond in whatever protocol the query from the PC comes in.

For a long time, PS/2 keyboards came with a passive PS/2 to USB converter in the box, but all that did was physically rewire the power and data lines to the physical layout of a USB connector.

Older AT keyboards, especially ones with 5-DIN plugs fitted, are not 'bilingual' and can only speak 'AT' protocol (which is the same protocol as PS/2 keyboards use) - so they will work fine with a passive 5-DIN to PS/2 adaptor as long as the PC still has a PS/2 socket for the adaptor to plug into.

To plug a 5-DIN AT keyboard into a USB port you need first a passive 5-DIN to PS/2 adaptor, and then that needs to go into an active / intelligent PS/2 to USB protocol converter like the one in Majoconz's 's photo.
Old 28th Aug 2022, 2:09 pm   #7
Herald1360
Dekatron

Well, that hasn't answered my original question but it has provided me with some interesting food for thought .

Time for a rummage through my adaptors and a trawl round Ebay I reckon

Edit: Quick look on Ebay suggests that it might be worth about the same in £s as it cost initially
.........O..Chris....O
Old 28th Aug 2022, 10:47 pm   #8
SiriusHardware
Dekatron

Sorry, but because of the rather indirect way in which you posed your question in the OP, I didn't actually realise you were asking about the value of the item. If I had realised, I would have told you to do exactly what you eventually did, to check closed / sold listings for the same item on auction sites.
Closed Thread