UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 26th Sep 2022, 3:24 pm   #1
stevehertz
Dekatron

Default Multi cap block 'rebuild' on Marconiphone 296 and similar early HMV sets

There's a multi capacitor block used in early 30s Marconiphone and HMV sets such as the model 296. Apparently it's a devil of a component to get at, let alone recap. Talking to a fellow collector recently he mentioned that he recalled a 'work around' procedure devised by (or at east used by) Gerry Wells whereby by disconnecting components from the top of the block it was possible to fit new caps external to the block, much simplifying the job. Has anyone else heard about or even done this, and are there any written instructions or guidelines anywhere? Thanks.
Old 26th Sep 2022, 3:57 pm   #2
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

Default Re: Multi cap block 'rebuild' on Marconiphone 296 and similar early HMV sets

I have rebuilt blocks on HMV sets before and the manual should show how the capacitors are connected, hence you can, if so wish mount externally.
Old 26th Sep 2022, 5:22 pm   #3
Neutrino
Pentode

Default Re: Multi cap block 'rebuild' on Marconiphone 296 and similar early HMV sets

BVWS Bulletin Volume 24, Number 3 (Autumn 1999) – Page 16 -Restoring the Marconi 296 describes how to avoid dealing with the condenser block
https://www.bvws.org.uk/publications...letin_24_3.pdf

BVWS Bulletin Volume 20, Number 6 (December 1995) page 104 describes how to rebuild the condenser block.
https://www.bvws.org.uk/publications...olume20number6

Gerry Wells talks about the condenser block on Pages 110 and 111.

David
Old 26th Sep 2022, 5:26 pm   #4
vinrads
Dekatron

Hi Steve I have re built quite a few you will need a cct beware there are different blocks ,the only capacitor I don't fit in the can is the audio coupling can't see the point , as always drawings and pictures , Mick.
Old 26th Sep 2022, 5:29 pm   #5
stevehertz
Dekatron

Thanks guys.
Old 27th Sep 2022, 9:34 pm   #6
Tim
Dekatron

I did a Marconiphone 264 a few years ago. The trader sheet is very good, and gives the circuit inside the box/es. I put tape flags on all the wires connected to the block prior to removal and took lots of photos. Apparently the black pitch will come out if you heat the box with something like a hot air gun and give it a few taps.
When it was all back together I was astonished that it worked first time.
Old 28th Sep 2022, 12:05 pm   #7
stevehertz
Dekatron

Just to clarify my line of thinking, the issue of emptying and re-stuffing the cap block is but one lengthy task. In this case, getting at it and removing it (so I'm told) is also quite a job. I have previously re-stuffed the multi cap block in a Philips 634a, where you have to additionally open up the can, a tricky unsoldering job. Saying that, as I'm not a slave to under chassis originality then I'm strongly considering the route of disconnecting the block and fitting caps in the surrounding circuitry - as per my first post. In truth I'm only going on what people have told me, so when I eventually get a round tuit I'll make a final decision.
Old 28th Sep 2022, 6:18 pm   #8
steve102
Pentode

I also rebuilt a capacitor block on a Marconiphone 262. I followed Gerry Wells' advice on page 111 of BVWS Bulletin Vol 20 No 6 to undo the 4 PK screws, drill out the 4 rivets holding the resistance panel, snip the wires from the capacitor block and pull the whole block out like a draw. This method avoids the need to remove the resistance panel but I needed to lift the panel slightly to give enough clearance for the capacitor block to slide out.https://www.bvws.org.uk/publications...letin_20_6.pdf

Steve
Closed Thread