UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 15th Jun 2019, 4:16 pm   #1
saddlestone-man
Hexode

Default 6E5GT Magic Eye mounting angle

Hello All

I want to mount a 6E5GT "magic eye" with its window sticking through the front panel of a radio I'm building. I can't find any data for how you should orientate the valve so that you can predict the rotational angle at which the eye is positioned. Not very well explained, but hopefully you get my gist.

Thanks for any help you can give me.

best regards ... Stef
Old 15th Jun 2019, 5:24 pm   #2
ekjdm14
Banned

Default Re: 6E5GT Magic Eye mounting angle

I'm not sure if there was any data of this sort, most of the magic eye valves I've seen are mounted by some kind of spring medium & their socket brought out from the chassis on extended wires whereby they can be adjusted to suit after installation.
Old 15th Jun 2019, 6:19 pm   #3
ms660
Dekatron

There's a photo of one being tested on Ebay on a TV7 valve tester, according to that photo imagine a line drawn between the centre of the spigot and through the centre of the gap between pins 6 and 7, the centre of the shadow will be on that line.

Lawrence.
Old 15th Jun 2019, 6:42 pm   #4
saddlestone-man
Hexode

Thanks Lawrence that's very useful information

Strange that the manufacturer doesn't document the mounting position wrt the eye.
Old 16th Jun 2019, 6:19 pm   #5
kalee20
Dekatron

Probably because if they did, they'd have to control the position the phenolic base is bonded on to within a degree or so! Which would be an extra nuisance in manufacture.

Leaving the use to come up with a clamp that allows rotational adjustment keeps everyone happy.
Old 16th Jun 2019, 6:36 pm   #6
ms660
Dekatron

Also the centre of the shadow is in line and on the same side as the deflector electrode which is attached to one side of the triodes anode:

http://www.r-type.org/exhib/aaa0962.htm

Lawrence.

Last edited by ms660; 16th Jun 2019 at 6:54 pm.
Old 16th Jun 2019, 8:55 pm   #7
Mr Moose
Octode

Hello,

There is a data sheet in Italian here:-

http://www.r-type.org/pdfs/6e5gt.pdf

In which it states:-

"l'asse dell' ombra e parallato al piano passante per i piedini numero 2 et 7"

Which Mr Google translates as:-

"the shadow axis is parallel to the plane passing through the pins number 2 and 7"

Which probably leaves you more confused than you were before.

Yours, Richard
Old 16th Jun 2019, 9:27 pm   #8
ms660
Dekatron

The clue is "parallel to" Only one line fits the bill, between pins 2&3 and pins 6&7

Lawrence.
Old 19th Jun 2019, 6:42 pm   #9
Chris55000
Nonode

Hi!

The easiest way is to find an electrolytic capacitor clamp of the correct size to fit over the phonelic/bakelite base of the eye, secure the clamp to the chassis or front panel, power the set up and see where the shadow is, switch off and allow time for the h.t. to discharge, and then carefully rotate the valve until the shadow is at the orientation desired.

It is a bit of a trial-and-error procedure but it doesn't take long to do!

If you can find a reasonably strong signal that will close or nearly close the eye, it makes it a little easier to judge when the shadow is symmetrical about the vertical.

As a rough idea, single-shadow types, Y63, 6U5/6G5, Russian 6E5s, etc., are customarily mounted with the shadow downwards (6 o'clock), whilst EM34 eyes are customarily mounted with the more sensitive shadow at 6 o'clock (bottom) and the less sensitive shadow at the 12 o'clock (top) position.

Chris Williams

Last edited by Chris55000; 19th Jun 2019 at 6:48 pm.
Closed Thread