UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 20th Apr 2019, 2:39 pm   #1
ssnjimb
Tetrode

Smile WHsmith CCR computer compatible cassette recorder does anyone have any info ?????

Hello

I just acquired a clean looking WHsmith CCR

Computer Compatible Cassette Recorder.

CCR 800

It plays music cassettes fine too

Only issue is, unless its normal

It plays mono through headphones ie through one headphone only

is this head alignment or was it a mono only player (because its computer compatible)

Any info greatfully appreciated

Thankyou

James
Old 20th Apr 2019, 2:49 pm   #2
TonyDuell
Dekatron

Default Re: WHsmith CCR computer compatible cassette recorder does anyone have any info ?????

I'm almost sure it's a mono recorder/player. This is the sort of thing that was sold for use with the Sinclair Spectrum, BBC micro, etc in the 1980s. Tandy/Radio Shack sold a range that were badged 'Computer Cassette Recoders' too. Sometimes it was just the name, sometimes there were minor extra facilities that were useful with such machines -- for example being able to monitor the output on the internal speaker even with something plugged into the earphone socket (so you could find the start of a program on the tape with the computer lead plugged in); or a switch to turn the cassette recorder on when there was a open-circuit contact plugged into the remote socket (some computers had an internal relay to start/stop the tape, said extra switch let you listen to the tape without unplugging the computer cable).

Anyway, all such home computers used mono recording as far as I know.

And at that time, 'shoebox' cassette recorders (which I guess this is) were generally (always?) mono. Machines like the 'Walkman' were stereo playback but often didn't record at all. Stereo recording generally meant a 'hi-fi' cassette unit.
Old 20th Apr 2019, 2:55 pm   #3
Mooly
Octode

Default Re: WHsmith CCR computer compatible cassette recorder does anyone have any info ?????

It plays in only one earpiece because you will probably be inserting a 3.5mm stereo plug into a 3.5mm mono socket... so yes, normal.
Old 20th Apr 2019, 3:04 pm   #4
ssnjimb
Tetrode

Hello Mooly and TonyDuell

Thankyou for your info and help

I have been trying to play data into my acorn electron.

and it appears deaf.

Data tapes play perfectly fine. i even used a website that alloys you to play the data into the electron to no avail

"http://www.8bitkick.cc/playuef.html"

Which is why i wanted to know about the cccr ^

Thankyou

James
Old 20th Apr 2019, 3:08 pm   #5
TonyDuell
Dekatron

What cable are you using to connect it to the Electron? From what I remember that machine has a 7 pin DIN socket for the cassette recorder connection.

I am sure I have the Electron circuit diagram somewhere (if only in the Advanced User Guide for that machine -- and yes it did exist) if you need help troubleshooting inside the machine.
Old 20th Apr 2019, 3:13 pm   #6
ssnjimb
Tetrode

It has a 5 pin connector at the tape end and 5 pin connector at the acorn end.

I tried a 5 pin din cable and a 3.5mm to 5 pin din to no avail

:-(

I bought the electron as untested which prob means not working lol.

James
Old 20th Apr 2019, 3:26 pm   #7
TonyDuell
Dekatron

Incidentally a google search for 'acorn electron service manual' found such a document which includes a few tests to do on the cassette interface. Do you have a multimeter and 'scope and know (roughly) how to use them?
Old 20th Apr 2019, 5:35 pm   #8
Richard_FM
Nonode

My parents bought one for our Acorn Electron which was the family present for Christmas 1984.

It even managed to be fitted with a Granada logo-ed MK plug my Dad had removed from the set we used to rent!

I remember it had some nice features like a sound level meter & speaker monitor switch which were useful when getting temperamental tapes to load.

Sadly I've got the feeling it was binned along with the Electron a few years ago, (without my knowledge & presumably with the Granada plug!)

I've no idea who made it, but it was a standard tape recorded of the time with a few bells & whistles to make it useful for using with a home computer.

I think WHS had a few other badge engineered items in the 1980s, so maybe it's worth checking out the other items.
Old 20th Apr 2019, 7:47 pm   #9
ssnjimb
Tetrode

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDuell View Post
Incidentally a google search for 'acorn electron service manual' found such a document which includes a few tests to do on the cassette interface. Do you have a multimeter and 'scope and know (roughly) how to use them?
Iam unfortunatly not that technical

I rather send it to somebody that can fix it.

James
Old 14th May 2019, 9:38 pm   #10
Catkins
Pentode

Only just noticed this thread.

I had a CCR800 back in the early 80s, and I was pretty sure it was mono only.

As I still have the player, I've taken it apart and can indeed confirm it is mono output on the DIN socket (both left-right pins connected together), and it has a mono ear jack.
Old 14th May 2019, 10:36 pm   #11
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

FWIW, A lead in which the connections to the DIN plug at one end were reversed (i.e. pin1 of one plug connected to pin 3 of the other, etc.)compared with those at the other was often needed when connecting a tape recorder to other equipment. Not sure if this was the case with computers, since I never owned a computer which used a cassette recorder as it's data storage medium.
Closed Thread