UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Closed Thread

Old 4th May 2019, 12:33 pm   #1
tri-comp
Heptode

Default Servisol Super 10, how does it compare ?

I hope this posting is in the right dept. otherwise feel free to move it as required.

I frequently need to clean contacts, switches, potentiometers and the likes and the stock of more or less suitable cleaning agents is dwindling.
I've been using Contact 60 and 61 besides 100% evaporating Tuner 600 and occationally WD-40 up until now.

When reading this forum it seems a fair lot here is using Servisol cleaner.
It isn't specified exactly WHAT Servisol is used but I expect it to be the product named Super-10.

I've been giving some thought as to what to procure when the stock finally runs out.
Caig DeoxIT is praised across the pond, apparently the ting to get in the UK is the Servisol and no German will be caught without Contact Chemie 60 or 61.

Servisol is to be had at a reasonably fair price on eBay even when counting p&p to my country.
DeoxIT is expensive but so may the parts it's used on be too.
Contact 60/61 is priced much like Servisol but I'm not entirely satisfied with the results when using these.
WD-40 is CHEAP, readily available and works wonders in many cases.
Also when you need to polish your automobile front lights to get rid of scratches
I'm just not so sure it's adviceable to use it on vintage carbon pot-meters etc.

What are your recommendations and experiences, thank you ?

Rgds,

/Torben
Old 4th May 2019, 12:49 pm   #2
McMurdo
Dekatron

Default Re: Servisol Super 10, how does it compare ?

I think servisol and contact chemie are part of the same company. I've used super 10 many times without any problems, but have similar results from uk supplier Farnell/CPC with their own Pro-Power Contact Cleaner.
Never used deoxit but I've seen plenty of residue inside equipment from folk who have used it too liberally.
Old 4th May 2019, 12:59 pm   #3
paulsherwin

Servisol 10 is simply the most easily available contact cleaner in the UK. It has been used by professionals for many decades. There are probably better cleaners in the world, but it is effective and reasonably priced.

There are a wide range of opinions about WD40 and some people feel very strongly about it. There are several threads discussing it if you search. It is basically white spirit (UK) / Stoddart solvent (US) with a bit of mineral oil. The white spirit has a cleaning action and will then evaporate leaving a thin film of mineral oil.

Before any pedants jump in, the WD40 company now makes a range of products including actual contact cleaner, but I am referring to the classic product.
Old 4th May 2019, 1:03 pm   #4
AC/HL
Dekatron

The search box above will retrieve many threads about contact cleaners, two for example:
https://vintage-radio.net/forum/showthread.php?t=52859
https://vintage-radio.net/forum/showthread.php?t=100333
Old 4th May 2019, 1:06 pm   #5
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

I rate De-oxit very highly if you do not need loads of it,then it will a long time.It certainly works where others do not.
Old 4th May 2019, 1:45 pm   #6
Sean Williams
Dekatron

Contakt-Ol by Wurth is also excellent, more expensive than Servisol 10, and cheaper than Deoxit.

Aimed at automotive use, I would be a little hesitant using it on anything too delicate, but as a general purpose switch cleaner, I haven't really found anything better.

I find Deoxit problematic in use (perhaps my tin is faulty, but more leaks out of the applicator nozzle and over my hands, than actually makes it on to the component.
Old 4th May 2019, 1:56 pm   #7
sortedradio
Heptode

After using Servisol 10 for many years I thought I would see what all the hype was about De-oxit. After giving it a try I would never go back, even though it is far more expensive than Servisol 10. I still have a few cans of Servisol 10 to get through so use it on jobs I consider less critical. As I'm repairing customers equipment the cost is passed on, and is insignificant in comparison with the cost of a job bouncing back.
Old 4th May 2019, 2:52 pm   #8
Pamphonica
Nonode

Deoxit does include some sort of surface tarnish remover which helps with older silver-plated rotary switches. I find it an excellent cleaner. At Mike Barker's suggestion, I rarely now try direct spraying. I spray some into a small plastic cap then apply using a fine brush. This prevents over-spraying (of an expensive product!).
Old 4th May 2019, 3:01 pm   #9
crackle
Rest in Peace

Never had any problems with Servisol.
I have never tried deoxit (to stupidly expensive) but Deoxit in my opinion is overrated and over priced.

Mike
Old 4th May 2019, 3:29 pm   #10
stevehertz
Dekatron

Some Deoxit products are contact cleaners and leave no residue, while others leave a trace of lube. Depends what you are looking for. There are many different Deoxit products.

I use Servisol Super 10 for most of my pot and switch cleaning, and I use the the spray tube because it's mostly on vintage hifi components where access is often limited to say the least, so using the fine spray tube is the only way that you can get near to some switches etc. In any case, Servisol does not damage most things if overspray occurs. I've oversprayed with it hundreds of times.

Ever the experimenter, I have also recently started using WD40 contact cleaner and that leaves no residue. Saying that, in general I prefer a contact cleaner that includes a lubricant, and that's Super 10. I have been happily using it for years, never had a problem, it's always worked for me.

WD40 spray oil? - leave it in the garage for light oiling and other similar duties, but not for cleaning electrical contacts!
Old 4th May 2019, 5:02 pm   #11
mole42uk
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamishBoxer View Post
I rate De-oxit very highly if you do not need loads of it,then it will a long time.It certainly works where others do not.
I too rate De-oxit very highly. You really don’t need lots of it, a small amount on the end of a toothpick is often enough. Careful use of the aerosol button is required!
I have used it very successfully to de-oxidise the contacts on synthesiser keyboards which are usually silver-plated springs…

Index:
recursive loop: see recursive loop
Old 4th May 2019, 5:29 pm   #12
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Servisol 10 is my first go-to for contact cleaning duties.

Any contact-cleaner needs to be used with discretion, moreso those that include any sort of residual lubricant. I've had to fix the mess that results when someone lets-loose a questionable 'contact lubricant' around a 2.5Kv@1A HT-supply. Once they've undergone 'tracking' even the best ceramic tank-coil-tapping-select switches are scrap.
Old 4th May 2019, 6:04 pm   #13
MurphyNut
Heptode

I've always use Servisol Super 10 and constantly amazed at what a good job it does on old radios, I like to call it "magic spray." I've never bothered looking into anything else as the product is so good.
Old 4th May 2019, 7:35 pm   #14
MrBungle
Dekatron

When I ran out of deoxit I bought some WD40 brand contact cleaner from Halfords. Genuinely can’t tell the difference. Doesn’t leave any residue or eat plastics either.
Old 4th May 2019, 7:43 pm   #15
stevehertz
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by G6Tanuki View Post

Any contact-cleaner needs to be used with discretion, moreso those that include any sort of residual lubricant. I've had to fix the mess that results when someone lets-loose a questionable 'contact lubricant' around a 2.5Kv@1A HT-supply. Once they've undergone 'tracking' even the best ceramic tank-coil-tapping-select switches are scrap.
I hear what you say, and I'm not advocating excessive us of contact cleaner, but I'm not envisioning many apps within vintage wireless, hifi or even vintage TV where 2.5kV @ 1A is an issue? Overspill of contact cleaner is often inevitable and I wouldn't like to think that people were put off from using it in a 'bold', confident manner thinking that it is a problem substance, because mostly it isn't. Used with intelligence and a tad of common sense it solves many, many more problems than it is even capable of causing.
Old 5th May 2019, 8:33 am   #16
tri-comp
Heptode

Thank you all for your inputs.
It's pretty much as I expected; people use what they got used to and stay with it because they feel they get the job done.
Why would you change a routine that works ?
Perhaps DeoxIT is better, hard to say but it can be said for sure that it's expensive.
I think I'll go with the Servisol that so many here like.
When I really put my mind to it I MAY recall having seen it here in Denmark.
Perhaps it was used in the UK owned D:E:R TV-rental shops that rented out Ferguson TV sets.
I knew a guy who worked in their local repair-shop in Aalborg.
Actually I still know him and see him every Friday.
Why didn't I think to ask him ?

Feel free to add more opinions on Servisol and others.

Rgds,

/Torben
Old 5th May 2019, 8:58 am   #17
mark2collection
Hexode

I've used Servisol Super for years, though in some applications, it's too oily. The stunt-double being Ambersil Contact Cleaner FG, which works really nicely.

I used to use traditional WD40 for cleaning tuning cap bearings etc, but have recently moved on to GT85. Still made by the WD company, GT85 has PTFE and makes easy work of cleaning a grubby radio chassis too. You can buy the smaller cans in Halfords, but it's always worth looking in the bike section, as quite often you'll find the larger can at a reduced cost. GT85 has been a godsend when working on old cars.

De-oxit has been used in the past, it's very good, but for now I cannot justify the cost vs the application in-which it's needed.

Mark
Old 5th May 2019, 10:27 pm   #18
tri-comp
Heptode

I got hold of the guy who used to work for the Thorn/EMI/D:E:R organisation that rented out TV's and Videos in the 80'ies and 90'ies.
He confirmed that he indeed did use Servisol during the many, many years of employment.
He was quite satisfied with it but hasn't used or even seen any for the past 2 decades.
Now he'll soon have the opportunity to do just that as today I ordered a couple of cans from the UK.

Rgds,

/Torben
Old 8th May 2019, 5:48 pm   #19
ekjdm14
Banned

Personally, Super 10 for carbon pots/mains switches and the like is my favourite (I will admit to wanting to try Deoxit but being put off by the cost). /Cleaning/lubricating bearings/bushings a very careful drop of Traditional WD-40 from a cocktail stick and for cleaning out old oil where I want no residue etc I use automotive brake cleaner.
Old 8th May 2019, 9:01 pm   #20
emeritus
Dekatron

I normally use 3 in 1 oil for noisy pots. It usually does the job and can be injected into enclosed pots using a hypodermic syringe.
Closed Thread