UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Closed Thread

Old 6th May 2019, 7:45 pm   #21
David Simpson
Nonode

Default Re: Military Desynn Test Set

Right enough, Andy, it was great seeing one of these testers being used to test the Lanc's fuel gauge. Thanks again for the YouTube link. But I understand that their 360deg capability was used to test compass repeaters, and bearing repeaters used with submarine's periscope tracking, & ship's radar & sonar equipment, Navy-wise.
Thinking back to my days on Shackletons,(beefed-up Lancasters) I guess the instrument fitters must have used a same or similar desynn tester, but for the life of me, I just don't remember seeing one.
Anyway, I've thoroughly enjoyed working on this. I might even make up a wee display panel using Martin's old ex Navy indicator & sender, which have lain in his gash box for over 40 years.

Regards, David
Old 6th May 2019, 7:56 pm   #22
Ed_Dinning
Dekatron

Default Re: Military Desynn Test Set

Hi David, that has come up well.
The tank units I used for the fishtracking bearing indicators were not so robust as yours, but the gauge heads were very similar to yours.
When used as bearing indicators the had some non-linearities on the scale of about 5 deg max. They were originally purchased from Lisle St finest!

I used one many years later on a light aircraft radio trainer I made for the local flying school so the pilot could "report your heading", suitably adjusted by the instructor.

Ed
Closed Thread