UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Other Discussions > Forum Announcements and Comments

Notices

Forum Announcements and Comments Announcements about forum changes will be made in this section. All new threads here now require moderator approval.

Closed Thread

Old 16th Oct 2011, 8:38 pm   #21
ms660
Dekatron

Default Re: Fair offer policy

Quote:
Originally Posted by fetteler View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dseymo1 View Post
Quote:
If I mention collection preferred, there is no point in someone asking if I will post it!
Just shows how easily misunderstandings arise!
I would take this to mean that you might be prepared to consider postage, but that if someone able to collect applied they would be given priority.
I agree, I would understand "collection only" to mean that there's no point asking....

Cheers,
Steve.
It depends on what he was selling, if it was a full complement AR88 diversity system then there really wouldn't be any point in asking him to post it, but that would be obvious to the buyer anyway, the word prefered would then become an obvious statement to that effect.

Lawrence.
Old 16th Oct 2011, 10:53 pm   #22
Paul Stenning
Administrator

You'd think it was obvious but I have seem people asking if some large heavy items can be posted before. Better to be clear about it from the outset.

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster
Old 17th Oct 2011, 12:43 am   #23
fetteler
Octode

I don't know what a full compliment AR88 diversity system is....
I'm guessing it's big though!

Steve.
Old 17th Oct 2011, 3:43 pm   #24
Darren-UK
Retired Dormant Member

It's a rack system, which you'd almost need a pair of steps to reach the top of, loaded with all sorts of heavy, brutish equipment. I couldn't even begin to calculate the weight of the ensemble.
Old 17th Oct 2011, 4:23 pm   #25
Sean Williams
Dekatron

Between 600 and 850lbs depending on options fitted......
Old 17th Oct 2011, 4:47 pm   #26
GMB
Dekatron

Quote:
You'd think it was obvious but I have seem people asking if some large heavy items can be posted before. Better to be clear about it from the outset.
Well it can be surprising.

I once had the problem of how to get a hideously big and heavy and un-packable welding set back to it's maker for a refit. I assumed it would be too hard but it turned out to be much easier and cheaper than expected - although the first time the courier turned up they expected me to have a fork-lift to load it!
Old 17th Oct 2011, 9:32 pm   #27
dseymo1
Retired Dormant Member

It certainly can be surprising how easily and inexpensively carriage can sometimes be arranged.

I've won a few large and heavy items on eBay which were listed as 'collection only', and thus had few bidders, simply by politely asking the seller if they would be willing to pack the item for collection by my carrier. In each case, the reply was similar, that they were quite willing to do so, but had believed that carriage costs would be prohibitive.

As a result, I have no qualms in asking either there or on this forum - at worst the seller can only say no!
Old 17th Oct 2011, 9:39 pm   #28
Station X

This thread is going off topic. If you want to discuss the carriage of large or heavy objects please start a new thread.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 20th Apr 2012, 5:56 pm   #29
michael cumming
Retired Dormant Member

It also depends on what the item is and how much it is in demand. ie If it is rare or it's a radio part that someone really needs, or in a lot of cases a few folk may need. I would say it's up to the person offering the item if it should be first come first served. I don't look at the section often but I should as I have missed a few good bits, but that's my fault. The name in the hat seems OK if alot of people are interested though. With stuff I collect I am lucky as it's not in great demand but I do feel for those who collect other stuff that is in demand. Patience is the name of the game as items come up again so it's a case of being lucky enough to spot them.

Last edited by Station X; 20th Apr 2012 at 7:51 pm. Reason: 'I' for 'i'
Closed Thread