UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 3rd Oct 2019, 11:08 am   #1
zifftoon
Retired Dormant Member

Default Pickup Dropping Position

My Garrard Model RC.121/MK.II pickup arm lands just slightly outside the vinyl. I have unscrew the small screw and turn the big screw next to it. I have already turn the big screw to the maximum.

Is there other way I can fix this problem.
Old 5th Oct 2019, 8:40 am   #2
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

Default Re: Pickup Dropping Position

I'm not familiar with the RC121, but generally speaking, all autochangers have an adjustment for stylus set-down position, which is carried out with 10" (25cm) record(s) on the turntable. The usual instruction is to make the adjustment so that the stylus lands about 0.125" (3mm) in from the edge of a 10" record, then the set-down positions for 7"(18cm) and 12"(30cm) diameter records will automatically be correct. Are you sure you are adjusting the correct screws? There will be another adjustment for P.U. arm height, which ensures that the arm, and hence the stylus, lands at the correct height.
Old 5th Oct 2019, 10:41 am   #3
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

There is downloadable service manual for the Garrard RC111 (slightly earlier version) which is likely to have the same adjustment instructions. Go to "Vintage Service Data" at the top RHS of this page.
Old 7th Oct 2019, 6:16 pm   #4
zifftoon
Retired Dormant Member

I have the manual of Garrard RC121. I did as instructed and I managed to get the pickup arm to move inwards, but just at the edge of the record. And the big screw has already loosen to the max.
Old 8th Oct 2019, 7:53 am   #5
PsychMan
Octode

Your deck needs a mechanical overhaul.

These have a size selection mechanism, does it do this for all record sizes? If you cannot adjust the set down properly at the maximum setting, it’s probably treating a 10 inch record like a 12 inch because the size selection mech is gummed up.

Does it correctly return the arm and stop after the last record? That’s another common issue with this deck
Old 10th Oct 2019, 4:33 am   #6
zifftoon
Retired Dormant Member

Yes, that must it. Thank you so much.
Old 11th Oct 2019, 2:00 pm   #7
PsychMan
Octode

If it doesn't stop at the end of the record, try this, I was recommended this by somebody else on this forum:

As the arm lifts off the last record and the size selection arm moves inwards, when it stops, give the selection arm a push to make sure it moves all the way in towards the spindle to correctly sense the end of the stack. This can help free it up

With my 121 I gave it a thorough strip down, clean and reassemble. On a similar deck (RC 210), I was pretty lazy and after "freeing" the selection arm I found it worked perfectly as it was so I didn't bother.

If you do choose to strip anything down, pay attention to that size selector arm, and observe how it works underneath the deck while rotating by hand. Not easy, but there are ways! Just remember to take pictures at each stage and carefully label and store anything you remove while you work on it.

I have a service manual on this deck somewhere that contains "exploded" views if you're interested. I think its fair to offer that here as it isn't contained in the forum offered service data (to my knowledge)
Closed Thread