UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 13th Oct 2019, 7:44 pm   #1
NickG0HIK
Hexode

Default Fada Radio 740, will it always be an ugly sister?

Now I'm going to have to admit that I have gone away from domestic radio's for a while. But I still have a few in my "A Round Tuit Pile" that I want to see the light of day eventually.
I've always wanted a little American set and one came my way the other day.

It's a bit bashed in Ugly Sister of a Fada 740, I'd love to make it into a bit of a Cinderella.

The case is broken, the back is missing, the dial cover has gone yellow and it's been tinkered with inside. But it's all more or less there.

I'm going to clean the case up and see if I still fancy the project, but while I'm in the process, does anyone have a circuit or link to a circuit. I don't think they were ever in the ERT supplements were they ?

Thanks

Nick G0HIK
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20191013_193553.jpg
Views:	239
Size:	55.3 KB
ID:	191854   Click image for larger version

Name:	20191013_193532.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	48.1 KB
ID:	191855   Click image for larger version

Name:	20191013_193519.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	57.8 KB
ID:	191857  
Old 13th Oct 2019, 7:50 pm   #2
AC/HL
Dekatron

Default Re: Fada Radio 740, will it always be an ugly sister?

https://www.tubesandmore.com/sites/d...40_pg17-10.png
Old 13th Oct 2019, 8:00 pm   #3
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

I'd encourage you to resurrect it - at least it's a proper classic "AA5" superhet rather than the poverty-spec 1-V-1 things that were extensively sold to the radio-demanding poor here in the UK in the same timeframe.
Old 13th Oct 2019, 8:30 pm   #4
NickG0HIK
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC/HL View Post
Thanks for the link.
The "Tubes" in mine are different, maybe it's been revalved at sometime. I've got a start though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by G6Tanuki View Post
I'd encourage you to resurrect it - at least it's a proper classic "AA5" superhet rather than the poverty-spec 1-V-1 things that were extensively sold to the radio-demanding poor here in the UK in the same timeframe.
Well it's been in the sink and I think with a bit of elbow grease the case is not going to look all that bad.
Just a shame with the Celluloid gone yellow, but I guess that the "Patina" as the Antique dealers say.

Nick
Old 13th Oct 2019, 10:53 pm   #5
AC/HL
Dekatron

I found that via Google, but if you've got some time to spare there may be a revised one buried in here somewhere!
https://www.rsp-italy.it/Electronics...ders/index.htm
Old 13th Oct 2019, 11:09 pm   #6
Tractionist
Heptode

Those dial 'lenses' are effectively vacuum-formed plastic - you may be able to knock something up with an old food container [the thin translucent plastic 'trays' etc.] and a hot air gun.

Is this set 120v on a dropper cord, an internal dropper, or a mains TX? Either way be careful with the power supply - and beware of 60Hz v 50Hz issues. Some of those little catalin American Midgets are real works of art ... but I've studiously avoided them for the latter reasons.

Good luck - and keep us abreast of your travails/developments eh?
Old 14th Oct 2019, 5:58 am   #7
John M0GLN
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickG0HIK View Post

I'm going to clean the case up and see if I still fancy the project, but while I'm in the process, does anyone have a circuit or link to a circuit. I don't think they were ever in the ERT supplements were they ?

Thanks

Nick G0HIK
ERT did supplements 589 and 590 in September and October 1942, these are interesting write ups regarding design and servicing of 'American Midgets', I don't know if Paul lists these in his 'Vintage Radio Service Data' downloads but if not I could send you a copy.

John
Old 15th Oct 2019, 6:49 pm   #8
NickG0HIK
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC/HL View Post
I found that via Google, but if you've got some time to spare there may be a revised one buried in here somewhere!
https://www.rsp-italy.it/Electronics...ders/index.htm
Thanks for the link, Unfortunately the search function does not work on these pages, so it is a manual scan, which as you say will take time.

I've not found out as my set does not use miniatures and has Octals, I was looking for the wrong circuit anyway.

It appears its an L56 which has many variants of case style.

I've found the circuit in that index, but not found it in the pages yet.

So if anyone has a link to an L56 that would be great.

Nick G0HIK
Old 15th Oct 2019, 6:52 pm   #9
NickG0HIK
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tractionist View Post
Those dial 'lenses' are effectively vacuum-formed plastic - you may be able to knock something up with an old food container [the thin translucent plastic 'trays' etc.] and a hot air gun.

Is this set 120v on a dropper cord, an internal dropper, or a mains TX? Either way be careful with the power supply - and beware of 60Hz v 50Hz issues. Some of those little catalin American Midgets are real works of art ... but I've studiously avoided them for the latter reasons.

Good luck - and keep us abreast of your travails/developments eh?
I thought it was Celluloid thanks for the info, I'm going to see what the dial looks like once is illuminated an make a decision if I can live with the Yellowed bezel.

I've not gone in to the circuit in detail yet, but I think I'll run it though an isolation transformer or a DC supply.
Old 15th Oct 2019, 6:56 pm   #10
NickG0HIK
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by John M0GLN View Post
Quote:

Thanks

Nick G0HIK
ERT did supplements 589 and 590 in September and October 1942, these are interesting write ups regarding design and servicing of 'American Midgets', I don't know if Paul lists these in his 'Vintage Radio Service Data' downloads but if not I could send you a copy.

John
Not sure what you mean about the supplements, I've got lots of copies of the magazine, my uncle gave me his copies before I joined the BVWS, maybe there is something in there ?

I can find all my DVD's but the CD's with the Trader sheets have gone to ground, I've put then safe, they will come to light when I'm looking for something else I sure.
I've also got volumes of the trader sheets that I've not thrown away. I'll have to spend an evening going through them sometime.

Nick G0HIK
Old 15th Oct 2019, 7:02 pm   #11
NickG0HIK
Hexode

The case has cleaned up nicely, so it's worth progressing.

I've notice this before with Bakelite, you can keep polishing and you can keep getting brown off the case onto the polishing cloth, it looks like Nicotine, but is it really the colour from the resin and you could go on forever ?

Also I always seem to still get a faint blooming of the case that can be seen some light angles, I'm never totally happy with the finish, can you ever get it to a perfection?

Nick
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20191015_183301.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	52.7 KB
ID:	191979   Click image for larger version

Name:	20191015_183311.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	30.6 KB
ID:	191980   Click image for larger version

Name:	20191015_183416.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	58.9 KB
ID:	191981   Click image for larger version

Name:	20191015_183409.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	56.9 KB
ID:	191982  
Old 15th Oct 2019, 7:26 pm   #12
ms660
Dekatron

Quote:
It appears its an L56 which has many variants of case style.

I've found the circuit in that index, but not found it in the pages yet.

So if anyone has a link to an L56 that would be great.
L56 Schematic:

http://www.nostalgiaair.org/Resource...=\M0005582.pdf

Resources page:

http://www.nostalgiaair.org/Resources/

Lawrence.
Old 15th Oct 2019, 7:34 pm   #13
John M0GLN
Octode

Quote:
Not sure what you mean about the supplements, I've got lots of copies of the magazine, my uncle gave me his copies before I joined the BVWS, maybe there is something in there ?
Nick G0HIK
The supplements I referred to are just the 'Wireless and Electrical Trader' sheets.

John
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	supplement.jpeg
Views:	45
Size:	10.4 KB
ID:	191984  
Old 15th Oct 2019, 8:05 pm   #14
NickG0HIK
Hexode

Great.

Thankyou
Old 15th Oct 2019, 10:38 pm   #15
Tractionist
Heptode

Quote:

I've notice this before with Bakelite, you can keep polishing and you can keep getting brown off the case onto the polishing cloth, it looks like Nicotine, but is it really the colour from the resin and you could go on forever ?

Also I always seem to still get a faint blooming of the case that can be seen some light angles, I'm never totally happy with the finish, can you ever get it to a perfection?

Nick
It's coming up nicely - are you merely polishing it, or cutting it? If cutting - with what: Bakeobrite, Brasso, T-Cut? Either way - don't go mad ... and don't polish it with any silicone based product. Polish using successive 'thin smears' of good soft furniture wax [applied in small whorls] - this shouldn't produce any bloom and will fill any 'grain' to a certain extent. Thereafter a quick rub occasionally with a clean duster should keep it shining.
Old 18th Oct 2019, 10:50 am   #16
NickG0HIK
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tractionist View Post
Quote:

Nick
It's coming up nicely - are you merely polishing it, or cutting it? If cutting - with what: Bakeobrite, Brasso, T-Cut? Either way - don't go mad ... and don't polish it with any silicone based product. Polish using successive 'thin smears' of good soft furniture wax [applied in small whorls] - this shouldn't produce any bloom and will fill any 'grain' to a certain extent. Thereafter a quick rub occasionally with a clean duster should keep it shining.
I have just been polishing, using Metallic car wax, it says that it is not abrasive, it does not mention that it contains Silicone.
Old 18th Oct 2019, 10:55 am   #17
NickG0HIK
Hexode

Right I'm getting a little brassed off and am going to have to get more technical now.

Initially it was "Dead" except for the heaters, after finding a few bad connections and a dead short H.T decoupling cap, I had a very low hiss.

I measured all the Caps and most had no capacitance, these have since been changed.

I can now receive the local M.W. station "Radio Cumbria", it is very distorted and the only station I can hear.
There also hetrodynes right through the band, I presume it's "taking off", what should I look for next ?

Nick
Old 18th Oct 2019, 11:44 am   #18
NickG0HIK
Hexode

Quote:
Right I'm getting a little brassed off and am going to have to get more technical now.

Initially it was "Dead" except for the heaters, after finding a few bad connections and a dead short H.T decoupling cap, I had a very low hiss.

I measured all the Caps and most had no capacitance, these have since been changed.

I can now receive the local M.W. station "Radio Cumbria", it is very distorted and the only station I can hear.
There also hetrodynes right through the band, I presume it's "taking off", what should I look for next ?

Nick
I feel so daft, the hetrodynes were due to a new LED magnifying lamp on the workbench. It has a switched mode PSU, which was the problem. I may look into powering it from a linear 12v PSU.
I expected the radio to pulling stations with a small Aerial, but not. I've connected the outside long wire and it seems fine now.
I still have a few faults to sort.

1) Distorted Audio.
2) LW range appears incorrect.
3) signal fades occasionally, maybe the band switch is the culprit here.

Nick
Old 18th Oct 2019, 1:20 pm   #19
Tractionist
Heptode

What's the HT looking like?
Old 18th Oct 2019, 5:49 pm   #20
NickG0HIK
Hexode

Not too sure what it should be, but it seems correct.

120v before the filter and 85v after.

Nick

P.S. thinking about it, 450 ohms filter, means is pulling around 80 mills, too much ?
Closed Thread