UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Clubs, Groups and Societies

Notices

Clubs, Groups and Societies For discussions about various clubs, groups and societies relating to our hobbies, such as the BVWS (incl RetroTechUK), BATC, RSGB, APTS, CLPGS, THG, TCC, BECG, MCR21 etc. This is NOT an official forum for any of these organisations.

Old 6th Oct 2019, 9:20 pm   #121
Radio Wrangler

Default Re: Museums

Quote:
Originally Posted by robinshack View Post
The phrase I recall is "capacitors charged in parallel and discharged in series".
Rob
It's called a Marx Generator (Whether Karl or Groucho, I'm unsure)

I remember that too, and peering into a dark box...press the button and the mercury arc rectifier started up like some alien monster.

David
Old 6th Oct 2019, 11:52 pm   #122
m0cemdave
Octode

I too, remember the London Science Museum from many visits in the 60's / early 70's, and share Robin's and David's views on the matter.

I once spent half a day in a magnificent industrial museum in a former dockside warehouse in Bristol. The technology was exhibited so it could be studied at close range, if one wished. I particularly recall aero engines mounted openly on plinths so you could look at the construction in great detail. I don't think it's there any more, at least in that form.
m0cemdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Oct 2019, 12:35 am   #123
SiriusHardware
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDuell View Post
I feel one of the worst 'Hancock-ings' (in the above sense) is the Science Museum in London (South Kensington).
I last went there in the early noughties, maybe around 2003, and I was deeply unimpressed by what I had always revered (in my mind) as the nation's premier science museum, in particular by the paucity of the radio / electronics / computing display(s) - I had heard that the museum had an operational amateur radio station but if that was still the case by then, I did not find it.

Fortunately that disappointment was erased, shortly afterwards, by a visit to what was then Amberley Chalk Pits museum (Sussex) with its large shed stuffed full of interesting electronics items - it certainly put the Science Museum's meagre effort to shame, and probably still does.
SiriusHardware is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Oct 2019, 8:58 am   #124
Phil G4SPZ
Dekatron

A couple of really good museums that I don’t recall being mentioned - probably because they aren’t radio or electronics based - are the Avoncroft Museum of Buildings in Bromsgrove, which contains a large collection of historic telephone kiosks and working telephones, and Kidderminster Railway Museum, which amongst the railway artefacts houses a fully-working Strowger exchange and many working telephones that visitors can use.

It is always amusing watching young people trying to use a dial telephone. My 7-year-old granddaughter brought the house down when she lifted the receiver, listened to the dialling tone, and asked loudly, “What’s that farting sound?”

Optimist [n]: One who is not in possession of the full facts

Last edited by Phil G4SPZ; 7th Oct 2019 at 8:59 am. Reason: Typo
Phil G4SPZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Oct 2019, 3:23 pm   #125
Beardyman
Hexode

Having recently visited the Science Museum in London & with fond memories from my formative years I too was quite disappointed in what was on show. About the only thing I do remember seeing was a few very dishevelled, oxidised looking Bakelite radios (DAC90 etc) that seemed to have just been chucked in the display any old how. Those displays hadn't seen a good clean in quite a while, were poorly lit & looked ignored. They certainly were by the majority of folk wandering by. It would seem the small museums have more interest for our ilk.
Old 7th Oct 2019, 4:25 pm   #126
Ken Taylor
Pentode

I just skimmed through this most interesting thread and thought I'd like to contribute the History of Science Museum in Oxford. Although they are currently reconfiguring the exhibition space, they still have some of the Marconi Collection in the basement, including his 1896 receiver and Dame Nellie Melba's microphone on display.

Free guided tours on Thursdays and Saturdays, and you may get me as your tour guide. https://www.hsm.ox.ac.uk
Ken Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Oct 2019, 4:55 pm   #127
KeithsTV
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil G4SPZ View Post
A couple of really good museums that I don’t recall being mentioned - probably because they aren’t radio or electronics based - are the Avoncroft Museum of Buildings in Bromsgrove, which contains a large collection of historic telephone kiosks and working telephones, and Kidderminster Railway Museum, which amongst the railway artefacts houses a fully-working Strowger exchange and many working telephones that visitors can use.
We recently visited the Avoncroft museum and spent some time talking to one of the volunteers at the kiosk section. Found my 40 year old RAC key worked on the RAC and AA boxes.

Keith
KeithsTV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Oct 2019, 8:21 pm   #128
Sinewave
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Taylor View Post
I just skimmed through this most interesting thread and thought I'd like to contribute the History of Science Museum in Oxford. Although they are currently reconfiguring the exhibition space, they still have some of the Marconi Collection in the basement, including his 1896 receiver and Dame Nellie Melba's microphone on display.

Free guided tours on Thursdays and Saturdays, and you may get me as your tour guide. https://www.hsm.ox.ac.uk
I'm going to have to have a visit there.
Old 12th Oct 2019, 8:59 pm   #129
Vintage_RC
Heptode

I used to pester my mum to take me to the Science Museum, I must have been 8 or 9 years old (a long time ago!) and remember the flashover well. It both excited and terrified me. I was also fascinated by an exhibit which was an automatic door which opened as you approached it. I don't think it would impress kids today.
Old 12th Oct 2019, 9:06 pm   #130
Radio Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage_RC View Post
I was also fascinated by an exhibit which was an automatic door which opened as you approached it. I don't think it would impress kids today.
Yep, I remember that one. I had an ORP12 LDR in a Triang-Lionel thing at home, but the science museum card called theirs a 'Magic Eye' which seemed a bit hocus pocus to even this young kid (about 7 then) Theirs might have been a photomultiplier, i suppose.

David
Old 13th Oct 2019, 10:55 am   #131
Peter.N.
Dekatron

My dad took me the the London science museum in the '40's when I were but a lad, the only thing that sticks in my mind was the long pendulum suspended from the roof, probably not there now. I do remember I found it very interesting though.

Many years later we went to Evoluon in Eindhoven, a couple of times, sadly its not there now but I think that was after the same style as the London science museum.

Peter
Peter.N. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th Oct 2019, 2:50 pm   #132
Sinewave
Octode

Whilst I was at the TNMOC today, I had a look in the computer musem, very interesting indeed, very fascinating.
Old 21st Nov 2019, 2:34 pm   #133
BrianAllen
Heptode

Default Philips Museum Eindhoven

Good afternoon all,

Here is the link to the Philips Museum in Eindhoven; I was directed to the museum after contacting customer care, for product information on my N4308/55

This link may already be on here but if not, here it is.

https://www.philips.nl/en/a-w/philip...pid=2852164039
BrianAllen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Nov 2019, 9:14 pm   #134
Stuart R
Heptode

Should you find yourself in The Netherlands, make time to visit the Museum Speelklok in Utrecht.

No vintage electonics, but I hope a mention is allowed as the museum houses an interesting collection of clocks, music boxes, automata, self playing instruments, barrel, dance and fair organs. I know these things are of interest to some of our members.

There are guided tours where a selection of the instruments are demonstrated. I spent a good four hours there.

See some of the instruments in action here....

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis..._Ob2vsPZAdkNuT

(No connection with the museum or the Wintergatan band, but their Marble Machine video is worth a look too!)

SR
Stuart R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Nov 2019, 10:43 am   #135
JohnBG8JMB
Pentode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinewave View Post
Whilst I was at the TNMOC today, I had a look in the computer musem, very interesting indeed, very fascinating.

TNMOC

What and where, please?
John
JohnBG8JMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Nov 2019, 10:49 am   #136
Station X

https://lmgtfy.com/?q=TNMOC

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Station X is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Nov 2019, 11:08 am   #137
Phil G4SPZ
Dekatron

The National Museum Of Computing: https://www.tnmoc.org/

Optimist [n]: One who is not in possession of the full facts
Phil G4SPZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Nov 2019, 3:27 pm   #138
Sinewave
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBG8JMB View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinewave View Post

TNMOC

What and where, please?
John

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil G4SPZ View Post
The National Museum Of Computing: https://www.tnmoc.org/
Sorry I should have been clearer. When I were at The National Museum Of Computing I was there for their table top sale initially, then went into the actual museum.
Old 2nd Dec 2019, 4:28 am   #139
John KC0G
Hexode

While it is a long way from the beaten path of most members here, the Collins Aerospace Museum in Cedar Rapids, Iowa, U.S.A. is well worth a visit. I went there recently and it has a fascinating collection of equipment going back to the early days of the Collins Radio Company in the early 1930's.

The website is at https://collinsaerospacemuseum.org/
I strongly suggest that people who are not Rockwell Collins employees register in advance.
John KC0G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th Jan 2020, 12:01 am   #140

One I came across this morning coming back from Farnham, popped in to a Co-Op for late breakfast and this was next door, small, full and if you are in the area worth a visit.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	chobham.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	42.6 KB
ID:	196512