UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 27th Sep 2019, 10:07 pm   #1
hillmanie
Pentode

Default Volume control

Hi folks
One of my fixer uppers came DOA as listed. On the face of it this might seem an easier fix, needing only to check the continuity, plug - cable - mains switch - transformer primary. Found first beak in the combined switch/volume control, double pole, the Live terminal. Looks the same as the ubiquitous ones of yesteryear. I seem to remember this as a common fault as I think the internal switch contacts were skinny and arced at ON and OFF. In those days being even more penny pinching than now I used to unclip the switch section and brighten the contacts. I may well do so again if they're not burned out as new same type replacements are seemingly unbtainable and an s/h eBay one is dear enough not to risk something could fail soon after. To continue the testing I thought of shorting out the offending pair with the precaution of swapping the live and neutral wires first so the Live remains switched.
Does the forum think that this is too great a departure from safe practice even in the short term?
I'm looking at another option to replace the two pots with smaller modern knurled types I see a-plenty, but thinks maybe they're battery only and won't take the 250v. Contacted an Eastern gentleman purveyor as to the specs on these but without result
Any advice much thanked
TT
Old 28th Sep 2019, 6:22 pm   #2
ColinTheAmpMan1
Octode

Default Re: Volume control

If you let us all know what the item is (make, type) and what the specification of the switched pot is (apart from the 250VAC requirement. Resistance, log/lin) we might have a chance to rummage through our junk-boxes). A photo of the pot with some indication of physical dimensions would also be useful if you're wanting originality.
You might be pleasantly surprised at what we might come up with, but we are just treading water so far.
Colin.
Old 28th Sep 2019, 6:41 pm   #3
John10b
Nonode

As Colin said you may be pleasantly surprised at what is available, take a look at Blore-ed.com, they may have just what you want.
Cheers
John
Old 28th Sep 2019, 6:42 pm   #4
hillmanie
Pentode

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColinTheAmpMan1 View Post
If you let us all know what the item is (make, type) and what the specification of the switched pot is (

Colin.
.................................................. ......................................
Great offer Colin, thanks. I'll get the model no, of the tape recorder easily but won't be able I fear to learn any spec info by reference to the pot itself. Will certainly take a pic which will be in my Album as I haven't yet learned how to get it from there to a posting
Rgds
TT
Old 3rd Oct 2019, 10:11 pm   #5
hillmanie
Pentode

Quote:
Originally Posted by John10b View Post
As Colin said you may be pleasantly surprised at what is available, take a look at Blore-ed.com,.
Cheers
John
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi
Re open circuit in Live contacts of volume control, thanks for the inputs folks. I have uploaded two pics 027 and 028 to my album. Some explaining seems to be in order here. My first posting wasn't intended as a request for a replacement for the V. control but to seek reassurance on shorting out the o/c contacts. That this resulted in offers of such replacement is a measure of the generosity of members. I can't see that the pics are much help and I'll look harder to find meaningful marks. The shaft is approx 5 cm long. Meanwhile I'll get on with (awaits) swapping the wires so that the Live is switched. Am considering drilling a small hole and injecting contact cleaner whilst flicking it. Will let it dry out fully after of course
I did check out the Brod lead John as suggested. An impressing stock but nothing like my pot I fear, all rather modern looking. I noticed too the item prices reflect the quality, since I've bought on average three old r/corders for the price of one of his items.
Rgds
TT
Old 3rd Oct 2019, 10:32 pm   #6
hillmanie
Pentode

PS
The recorder is a Ferguson 3218
Rgds
TT
Old 4th Oct 2019, 2:56 pm   #7
ColinTheAmpMan1
Octode

Could you provide a link to your photos in your album, please? I have no knowledge of the recorder that you mention, so I don't know what the value of the pot is supposed to be, either. The value will be stamped on the metal body of the pot somewhere, together with an "A" or "B" indication of the law. I have a switched 1M log pot which might be correct, as volume pots usually have a log law, but it only has a short (1cm) shaft with a "D" cross-section.

It should be perfectly OK to short out the failed switch on the pot, so long as the LINE remains switched. It isn't ideal, of course, but it will function, even if electrical safety is marginally compromised.

It is quite simple to append pictures to posts; check out the FAQ page for how to do it. Select "Reading and Posting Messages", followed by "Attachments and Images". Good Luck.

Colin.
Old 4th Oct 2019, 3:30 pm   #8
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

The easiest way to add attachments (Pictures) to a post is to click the 'Go Advanced' box under the 'Quick Reply' box, then follow the instructions given therein.
Old 4th Oct 2019, 3:37 pm   #9
AC/HL
Dekatron

Or use the post reply button an the left which combines the two. Broad as long.
Old 4th Oct 2019, 8:43 pm   #10
hillmanie
Pentode

Thank you Colin et al. Have confirmed the ID details (label is a bit unclear). On closer scrutiny It seems to read Ferguson 3218. Also re attachments I must be losing it as it's not rocket science. Heretofore I only read the Album instructions and on making access public.
You're correct about the markings as when I loosed it I found on the back 8-4 1 megohm (the symbol) LIN (ear?) Looks like I've uploaded the two pics but they're not opening ?
For the least disturbance I'll short the contact and switch the Live and get on with a few unfinished tasks not least of which is replacing the Philips liquified belt
Rgds
TT
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	027.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	28.0 KB
ID:	191298   Click image for larger version

Name:	028.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	35.1 KB
ID:	191299  
Old 4th Oct 2019, 8:45 pm   #11
hillmanie
Pentode

Correction - thought the pics didn't render but I was wrong
TT
Old 5th Oct 2019, 7:39 am   #12
Sideband
Dekatron

Looks to be a perfectly normal 1 meg pot with switch. You can dismantle those quite easily. Take the control out completely (making a note of where everything goes) and you should find the switch will come off after straightening out the fixing tabs. A squirt of Servisol may well free up the contacts. Most times I've been able to sort these out with little effort. There isn't much current involved even taking the switch-on surge into account so unless something shorted (if there is a capacitor across the mains) then the switches don't really have a hard life.

You may not even need to remove the pot. If there is a gap between the three pot connections and the metal case, just squirt some Servisol in there and work the switch a few times and that should free up the sticky switch (if that is what the trouble is). You don't need to let it dry out (in fact Servisol shouldn't dry out completely as it leaves a lubricating film behind.

Last edited by Sideband; 5th Oct 2019 at 7:46 am.
Old 5th Oct 2019, 1:52 pm   #13
hillmanie
Pentode

Thanks again. Not really a gap, which is why I previously mentioned I'd drill a small squirt hole. Re arcing, there's isn't a cap. across the contacts in this case
TT
Old 5th Oct 2019, 2:07 pm   #14
Station X

I describe how I fixed the switch associated with a similar pot in this post:-

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...0&postcount=36

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 5th Oct 2019, 2:07 pm   #15
ColinTheAmpMan1
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideband View Post
Take the control out completely (making a note of where everything goes) and you should find the switch will come off after straightening out the fixing tabs. A squirt of Servisol may well free up the contacts. Most times I've been able to sort these out with little effort. There isn't much current involved even taking the switch-on surge into account so unless something shorted (if there is a capacitor across the mains) then the switches don't really have a hard life.

You may not even need to remove the pot. If there is a gap between the three pot connections and the metal case, just squirt some Servisol in there and work the switch a few times and that should free up the sticky switch (if that is what the trouble is). You don't need to let it dry out (in fact Servisol shouldn't dry out completely as it leaves a lubricating film behind.
I agree up to a point, but not all switched pots are constructed the same. The 1M switched pot that I mentioned has a black plastic switch section which looks to be riveted to the pot body. I have often seen switches that can be removed by bending some tabs, but not all are like that.

Your suggestion that squirting Servisol into a slot where the three pot connections are is likely to clean/lube the potentiometer itself, rather than the switch, which is usually in a separate (though not sealed) section.

Problems with drilling a small hole in the switch section are (a) damaging the innards of the switch and (b) allowing swarf into the switch, both of which might just worsen the problem.

Colin.
Old 5th Oct 2019, 4:01 pm   #16
vidjoman
Dekatron

Looks easy enough to take off the chassis as it has wires going to it. No need to even remove the wires. The photo seems to show the tabs that can be carefully bent back to get to the switch. Just make sure the switch goes back in the same position on the pot and check that the switch operates correctly before refixing the tabs.
Closed Thread