UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Clubs, Groups and Societies

Notices

Clubs, Groups and Societies For discussions about various clubs, groups and societies relating to our hobbies, such as the BVWS (incl RetroTechUK), BATC, RSGB, APTS, CLPGS, THG, TCC, BECG, MCR21 etc. This is NOT an official forum for any of these organisations.

Closed Thread

Old 30th Sep 2019, 6:38 pm   #21
greenstar
Octode

Default Re: Hamfest Newark

I went on Friday first thing, and had to get back to check on my mum by mid day, so had an hour there. There seemed to be an excessively long queue and with limited time it was frustrating to wait, 15 minutes after opening time, another twenty or so to get in, so definitely a good idea to get a ticket before arriving, as there was a much shorter queue for ticket holders. But I wasn't sure I could get away.
Car boot area disappointing and hardly worth the trip, despite it being first thing on the first day. I do not understand why every year such events have less when there is clearly, from BVWS and other sales, plenty of used and vintage gear to be sold on. For regular car boot sales I can understand higher value and collectable items going to ebay, and dealers cleaning up the little there is at 5 am. But there is clearly less to be had at all flea markets.
Contrasting this with Harpenden, the auction better than ever, although the stalls seem to be diminishing.
Is it that dealers are going out of business?
Old 30th Sep 2019, 6:57 pm   #22
Spec-chum
Tetrode

I could kick myself, I was at the Knowhow site Friday just a stones throw from the showground. Wasn't aware it was on as I would of love to have had a good browse, even if I didn't buy anything. I'm not a radio amateur(yet), but enjoy short wave listening with my old Star DX Mates set, and the odd bit of CB, so I'm sure it would of been quite interesting. Always next year.
Old 30th Sep 2019, 7:02 pm   #23
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

I've never been to Newark [I used to go to the Leicester Granby Halls events in the 80s, the Lea Valley bash in London - and one when it was at the National Motorcycle Museum] but, from visiting smaller rallies [Newbury, Frome, Harwell, McMichael, FRARS] I have also seen in recent years both the diminution of the traders and the ageing of the attendees. . .

These days it seems to me that ham radio has split into two camps: those who are happy to spend £1.5K on a modern radio from one of the main-dealers/importers, and those who will on principle argue the price of a 50p bag of questionable components or a length of used coax.

That's life I guess. Time Marches On!
Old 1st Oct 2019, 9:01 am   #24
donutty
Pentode

Yeah, rallies round here (and maybe round everywhere?) aren't what they used to be but I'll still go as long as they put them on.

I am actually old enough to remember what I would call a proper rally - Elvaston Castle. The sort of rally that used to take you half a day to walk around, not like now where I still stay for half a day but that involves doing about 10 loops of the circuit.

Sean - was that you with the Meggers and Sony dictation machine that I got? Nice to meet you!
Closed Thread