UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 4th Oct 2011, 7:11 pm   #321
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

Default Re: Restorer's dream part 2 the chassis.

Yes Jeffrey and about the same number of pages in the description I believe! usually the LOPT windings survive the burnt case but Colin's was unusual in having the overwind cindered. I would think that the receiver was very close to a fire. Amazing how customers carried on using them with all those various stinks being emitted from it's rear.
There would have been an over powering smell of vinegar also. [Must see the end of Emergency Ward 10] Cheers, John.
Old 4th Oct 2011, 7:24 pm   #322
ppppenguin
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heatercathodeshort View Post
Yes Jeffrey and about the same number of pages in the description I believe!
Col has certainly given us chapter and verse
Old 5th Oct 2011, 7:33 am   #323
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

Yes and very interesting it was. J.
Old 5th Oct 2011, 2:29 pm   #324
robjkmannering
Retired Dormant Member

I have been following this epic saga with interest. Coming home from work is just not going to be the same....
Very enjoyable indeed!
Rob
Old 5th Oct 2011, 3:52 pm   #325
Retired
Heptode

Hi,

I still have the pictures of your excellent home made LOPT housing Jeffrey and originally intended to copy but it saved me a lot of work when Mike (Mikeymushradio) kindly supplied a replacement working LOPT together with good housing.

I agree with you John as this set must have been very near to bursting into flames given the condition of the LOPT and all the debris inside and outside of its enclosure would have been good for roasting spuds on had it gone up. It would have got rid of the woodworm though.

Thanks Jeffrey and John; I wonder if it could now be described as the phoenix risen from the ashes? As to number of pages it’s a pity it can’t be published as a book and proceeds used to start a rest home for poorly LOPT’s.

I’m pleased you’ve enjoyed the story Rob and had the stamina to stay with it but it isn’t quite over yet as I need to put it all back together again. I’ll soon know if I glued the cabinet together correctly once I start installing the works.

I’ve spent some time tidying the chassis up but it will never be sparkling and I decided to merely spray with brake and clutch cleaner to remove the dirt and grime then leave the actual chassis as is because although I would love to restore it to as new condition; it would take far too long and to try painting with all the components in place might actually make it look worse so I’ve had to compromise and polish the bits I could but it does look a lot better now. I have however spent over an hour removing rust from the top cover and painted it with black Humbrol enamel.

I still need to locate the 12K resistor John mentioned as the set is not entirely stable yet; I can adjust for a really good positive picture then after a while it turns very bright on its own and I need to adjust again so I think something is just not right yet but it is very near.

Here is a picture as the chassis now is together with another of how it was when I first saw it. As John says it’s a wonder it didn’t burst into flames given the charred LOPT and the rubbish in the enclosure. The LOPT plastic housing had totally disintegrated in fact I didn’t know it had one.

Kind regards, Col.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Lopt in terrible condition..jpg
Views:	247
Size:	81.9 KB
ID:	56962   Click image for larger version

Name:	Much improved..jpg
Views:	255
Size:	101.5 KB
ID:	56963  
Old 5th Oct 2011, 4:11 pm   #326
TNC
Hexode

Colin - I'd like to add my thanks and congratulations on an exceptionally interesting and informative saga! I have restored a number of cabinets using french-polishing techniques and thought I had achieved impressive results...that is until I saw your work!

Your discipline and self-control is an excellent example to all restorers...I often struggle with impatience and rush too much...then find I haven't made a note or taken a photograph. It's especially important if you are obliged to break off for a day here or two days there because I end up having to spend 30 or 40 minutes re-enacting the work I've already done on a previous session - how stupid is that!

Thanks again,

Trevor.
Old 5th Oct 2011, 6:52 pm   #327
Andrewausfa
Octode

When I first saw this TV the first words that came into my head were something along the lines of no, case, way and basket. Almost a year later you've done an excellent job on the cabinet and this work on the chassis just completes what has been a thoroughly educational and all-round entertaining chronicle.

Well done Col

Andrew
Old 5th Oct 2011, 7:19 pm   #328
chroma04
Pentode

Hi Colin,

I have been following your progress from the very start, and would just like to echo the kind comments from many of the other forum members.

Your patience certainly knows no bounds! Your methodical approach, with assistance from the vast wealth of experience on this excellent forum has paid off.

This thread has been a fascinating and addictive read every evening and has certainly been an inspiration, not to mention an insight into the world of vintage telly.

You're nearly there now, and I hope you'll soon be watching some period programme on it very soon.

Many thanks for sharing your endeavours with us all!

Adrian.
Old 6th Oct 2011, 9:36 am   #329
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

Hello Colin,
Don't worry about drilling a hole for the coil adjustment. The tuner is very stable and will not require resetting.
Enjoy the results, that is the best part. I have rescanned the relevent part of the circuit and illustrated a few components that may be causing your brightness variations. [Marked yellow] You can measure the resistors once you have located them and if they are just a few Kohms out, leave them alone.
There is the 12k [1] anode load resisitor connected to the video output valve V5. It is a fat resistor connected to pin 6 of the 30FL1. You can see from the picture that I have replaced it with a shiny new 2 watt type. Also connected to pin 6 is a 47K, not quite so fat. The other end goes to chassis and forms with the 12k what is called a potential divider network. Worth a check on the 47K. [2] Another potential divider resisitor is the 39K [4] Again worth a check. Again I have replaced the 39k so it will look different in your receiver.
Located just under the limiter control is what is called a 'postage stamp' style capacitor trimmer shown in picture. [3] It's purpose is to alter slightly the response of the video output valve [V5]. It was usually adjusted in bad signal areas to reduce the definition slightly thus removing a lot of unwanted picture 'noise'. It is possible that this trimmer has become a bit dirty and maybe shorting out intermittently. It is a mica/ceramic type and will respond to a squirt of switch cleaner. Screw it up and unscrew it a few times just to check. The setting is not at all important and can be left approximately in the original position. Incorrect setting will not effect your picture quality from the Aurora.
Check these out when you feel happy and relaxed about it. Don't attack it and upset your excellent work. No hurry or as they say today, 'Lighten up' Great to know this thread or should I say your 'Bayeux Tapestry and all the input from Forum members has been so well received. Regards, John.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	TRIMMER.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	112.5 KB
ID:	56985   Click image for larger version

Name:	Video output res..jpg
Views:	171
Size:	131.8 KB
ID:	56986   Click image for larger version

Name:	Video output..jpg
Views:	139
Size:	107.3 KB
ID:	56987  
Old 6th Oct 2011, 10:14 am   #330
dominicbeesley
Octode

Well done with all this Col,

Now you're hooked are you going to go daft like me and keep going round in circles until you get spot on performance...

I will have to sack work off one day and come round for a look

Dom
Old 6th Oct 2011, 4:58 pm   #331
Retired
Heptode

Hi,

Your kind comments are most appreciated Trevor (TNC) thank you. I fully agree and know exactly what you mean about having to break off then try to pick up again later as this is constantly happening to me even though I’m fully retired.

You really are so kind Trevor about my French polishing results and I think you have aptly answered why others don’t achieve the same; impatience must be avoided and if your French polishing falls short of the finish I achieve then I’m sure with a bit more flatting and a few more rubbers of shellac you too will achieve success.

I think today is the first day of winter as I got up this morning into a black hole which was also cold. I thought the lights had been turned off. I had a burning desire to locate and check the 12K resistor that John has mentioned a few times which kept evading me so I didn’t care if it took all day to find it because find it I would.

After breakfast I logged on and John once again had read my thoughts and kindly added a lot more very useful information and advice onto the forum which I duly printed off. I knew things would not go quite as planned today because both my printers are rubbish and I’ve taken the liberty of backing this up with a copy of one of John’s excellent pictures scanned and shown below which I printed out using my Samsung ML-1710P mono laser printer. The printer now has decided to add lovely wide bands of white just where not needed. I then spent a while using a pen to add detail onto the picture so that I could use it in the workshop; I did this with the other items including the text instructions as a number of the text lines were devoid of print.

At 10.30 I finally got settled into the workshop; switched the fan heater on as it felt like a fridge; switched the soldering iron on together with the Walkman and Ekco radio I play it through. I finally located the 12K resistor and snipped it out leaving two ¼” long tails at the tags then the door bell rang; it was Mandy our ex-neighbour paying us an unexpected but most welcome visit. Everything was turned off in the workshop for a couple of hours and as soon as Mandy departed I switched everything on again; I changed two resistors then Bron told me dinner was ready so everything was switched off again.

After dinner the weather was even worse; torrential rain and hail hitting our windows like cannonballs with terrific wind coming up the valley. Back into the workshop and switch on again only to be interrupted by two male visitors carrying books calling at all the houses; as Jehovah Witnesses don’t take a polite no and please don’t visit us again they continued to ring the bell and knock on the door before finally leaving us; I’m seldom rude to anyone but we have little peace enough living here with unwanted callers. So this is just another day in paradise for me; tomorrow will be similar.

Thanks Andrew; Please take a pat on the back Andrew for bump starting me into getting cracking on this chassis; it surely was something I wasn’t dreaming about attempting; it was looking more like my worst nightmare up front.

Thank you Adrian for the praise; I’m doing the restoration and please believe me when I say I’m truly amazed by how the restoration has turned out both with the cabinet and chassis; much of this is due to the constant help and encouragement I’ve gratefully received from so many members of this forum and also friends off forum.

I think you are a mind reader John. Once again just when I was set up for a day of circuit tracing to locate components here you are first thing this morning with such brilliant information and pictures that I have finally been left in peace in the workshop and followed your instructions in record time.

Here’s the results; the 12K obese resistor tested at 22K5 and as I didn’t have a 2W 12K I installed a 10K 2W but this was reading at 10K8 which is much nearer. The 47K was reading 56K4 so is now bang on 47K. The 39K which was another obese resistor was reading 67K and the nearest I have is 45K so this has been installed.

The test card is now very stable and has lots of adjustment to play with enabling the card to be displayed fully variably from light to dark easily; what a transformation. It’s now time I believe to hook up the DVD player and watch an old black and white movie. I’m 100% non drinker but had I been I think a bottle of champagne would have been justified. Please see the printout below John of one of your pictures; should I gently take a sledge hammer to the printer or merely give it a decent burial at the local tip. Even when I’m given such explicit advice this is what I have to put up with and I’m loathe to buy yet another printer because my newish Epson Stylus DX8400 is trying to bankrupt me with its monster appetite for cartridges and as it is demanding yet another I now only use it for scanning. With hindsight I think I would have been better using my camera to take a picture from the monitor and work from this.

Thanks Dom; you are most welcome anytime as we are always pleased to see you. No; I think I can accept the picture quality as it is Dom otherwise it won't just like a new set it will be a new set with everything replaced so far. I think I've reached the stage whereby I can't improve upon it much but could easily make it a lot worse. I do however think this Ekco might become lonely on its own and need a friend to keep it company.

As I’ve been typing this I had to close the curtain because the sun was blinding me and now I’m working with the light on whilst the rain lashes down with the wind rattling everything. This is one time the weather is not going to push my buttons as I’m on top of the world. Thanks everyone.

Kind regards, Col.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Rubbish printing quality..jpg
Views:	210
Size:	114.5 KB
ID:	57005  
Old 6th Oct 2011, 6:58 pm   #332
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

I think we can finally kiss this goodnight Colin.
It's time to dump that printer Col. It seems to have the ability to turn everything into some sort of secret code. Bletchley Park may wish to relieve you of it.
'I think it's now time for the BBC Television Service to close down for the evening'.
Regards, John.
Old 7th Oct 2011, 11:52 am   #333
pichacker
Hexode

I'm going to miss this post.. Been reading it on the side line and thoroughly enjoyed it.

So when's the chassis going to reuinite with the cabinet so we can all see the completed results?

Well done Colin.
Old 7th Oct 2011, 1:28 pm   #334
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

Hi
I think that's Restorer's Dream 3 - The Reunion!
Glyn
Old 7th Oct 2011, 1:32 pm   #335
ppppenguin
Retired Dormant Member

I suppose I could write the prequel. All dust, spiders and worm

Part 3: The re-union
Part 4: T311 and the alien invasion of Yorkshire
Part 5: Back to the future, a disturbing dystopian vision of lonely CRTs attempting to survive in a hostile world of LCDs.
Old 7th Oct 2011, 8:22 pm   #336
Retired
Heptode

Hi,

Yes John; I thought I had got the job well sorted and was now finished with the chassis but this afternoon when our visitor departed I spent a while sorting out the volume pot which was incredibly noisy; stripping and blasting with contact cleaner has made it behave now. I still need to attach the mains lead permanently; I'm thinking about removing the two pin plug to the chassis rear which was the original connector and making a blanking plate of Tufnol adding a grommet then I can attach the mains lead directly to the on/off switch where it is currently temporarily attached now.

I've spent time web surfing for the best printer and am totally baffled because even the new generation of ink saving Kodak printers receive mixed reviews. (New cartridge only printing 20 pages) I've also downloaded a PDF file covering my mono laser printer to see if I can get it to work before it hits the bottom of a skip. I played around a bit with the Epson printer but it still demands a yellow cartridge; I thought was being clever and set it up to print black only but of course it still demands the yellow cartridge so once I replace it; it is doomed!!

Not long now pichacker but please don't hold your breath because knocking a nail in for me could easily turn into a saga.

Nice one Glyn.

Many thanks Jeffrey. Yes the reunion as agreed with Glyn. Invasion of the aliens cancelled due to Yorkshire weather. Back to the future; definitely as I've been told many times I look like the mad professor when my hair is long and this surely has been a time warp. How about "Life after T311?"

I think one job I must do is to treat the cabinet against wood worm and this will slow the job down slightly. I'll not bother adding the internal tin foil screening as the set will only get occasional use and its nice to see all the new timber and veneer. Re-assembly could give me a lot of grief as bench space is very limited and I don't want to damage the cabinet; I originally did the stripping in the garage separating the chassis and CRT but will now try to keep them joined as I attempt to install them.

I thought a picture of the replaced components might be of interest and every item in the picture is either broken or faulty; restoring a wreck of a chassis riddled with faults is unlike repairing a set that was working an hour ago suffering a single fault. Thanks everyone.

Kind regards, Col.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Components replaced..jpg
Views:	182
Size:	101.6 KB
ID:	57069  
Old 8th Oct 2011, 9:40 am   #337
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

Great job again Colin.

David
Old 8th Oct 2011, 10:54 am   #338
Retired
Heptode

Hi,

Many thanks David.

I've just come out of our front bedroom after treating the cabinet against woodworm. I've been so engrossed in this restoration that I hadn't noticed how space was rapidly running out. I'm reduced to working on the bedroom carpet as all my benches both in the garage and workshop are full.

Last week I had to sadly turn a guy down when he asked if I would wind him an IF tuning coil for his PYE radio but I just could not set the coil winder up on the bench. (I'll try to help him though once the TV is assembled releasing space). I've also just turned down a very generous offer of a free Bush radio for restoration from Pete Brown who was kindly going to meet up with me next Friday near the M62. Thank you Pete; it's a pity I don't have more space.

I had planned to build new shelving and sort the front bedroom out into a display area but decided to work on this T311 chassis instead. Too many jobs and not enough time.

Although we own a large detached bungalow its amazing just how quickly space runs out once the projects start to multiply. I'm sure I'm not alone in this.

Kind regards, Col.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Running out of space..jpg
Views:	235
Size:	97.0 KB
ID:	57080   Click image for larger version

Name:	Running out of space. (1).jpg
Views:	218
Size:	90.3 KB
ID:	57081  
Old 8th Oct 2011, 11:16 am   #339
petertheorgan
Hexode

Hi Colin,
Can I also add my congratulations to the list , I have been following your story with interest and am really looking forward to seeing photos of the final result working well.

Can I just add my 2 pence worth , I would not remove the 2 pin connector from the rear of the set ( this is not the place for a discussion on electrical safety) but I am sure somebody here has got the correct bush female connector which they would let you have , or failing that , I would be delighted to send you a plain one .

good luck with the finishing touches

Peter
Old 8th Oct 2011, 11:25 am   #340
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

Space?there is never enough!Need another workshop at this end.If only i had a house with a cellar.

David
Closed Thread