UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Amateur and Military Radio

Notices

Vintage Amateur and Military Radio Amateur/military receivers and transmitters, morse, and any other related vintage comms equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 15th Jan 2009, 6:18 pm   #1
kalee99
Rest in Peace

Question Most modified R1155?

Hello All,
Just wondering if the R1155 I just bought will win any prizes for the "most modified set"?
Whoever did the mod's knew their stuff and it is all very neat and tidy. All the wiring has has identification rings on so every wire can be traced out and the acrylic cover the the facia, and indeed the facia itself are of professional quality
Needless
to say it all works like a charm and is pulling in stations and "hams", from all over the world
Paul.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0003.jpg
Views:	299
Size:	110.5 KB
ID:	22461   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0004.jpg
Views:	285
Size:	138.7 KB
ID:	22462   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0005.jpg
Views:	289
Size:	126.9 KB
ID:	22463  
Old 15th Jan 2009, 7:55 pm   #2
Skywave
Rest in Peace

Arrow Re: Most modified R1155?

Interesting specimen, that: likely to divide enthusiasts into two distinct camps - if you follow my meaning! The quality of the workmanship is obviously very high; may have been done by a professional, or at least someone with a great deal of hard-won experience.

For myself, I'd be very happy with it - although I can well appreciate that there are some who would not agree with me. Each to his own; beauty in the eye of the beholder, etc.

Al. / Skywave.
Old 15th Jan 2009, 8:28 pm   #3
Ed_Dinning
Dekatron

Default Re: Most modified R1155?

Hi Paul, I will probably upset some people but it looks much better than the original; does it perform better as well?

Ed
Old 15th Jan 2009, 8:48 pm   #4
kalee99
Rest in Peace

Thumbs up Re: Most modified R1155?

Hi Ed,
I cannot say if it performs any better than the original as I have never had one! But it has a fully adjustable BFO which the original lacked. It is very sensitive on all wavelengths and the RF and IF gain controls are most essential to prevent swamping on strong signals. Tuning is very accurate and all the scale markings match up with my signal generator spot on.
At least I cannot be blamed for the Modifications! I bought the set from a "silent key", sale. I did not know the person it belonged too but they must have been very skilled indeed in electronics and mechanical engineering!
Paul
Old 15th Jan 2009, 10:31 pm   #5
Skywave
Rest in Peace

Just a quick afterthought.

I do like the way the new knobs (gain controls) have been chosen to be sympathetic to the style of the original main tuning centre knob. OTOH, the original W/C knob has been retained. All clever stuff, since it is still 'recognisable' as an R1155, but perhaps a 1960's version! It's all to easy to spoil the appearance of a piece of well-built home-brew or modified kit by poor choice of knobs, controls, layout, etc.

Al.
Old 15th Jan 2009, 11:30 pm   #6
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.

Hi Paul-it looks great up-dated and efficient as people have said. I've seen another one [in Radiophile Mag?] as well sorted as this but that one kept the original look, apart from black computer speakers on top as the o/p stage.
Surprisingly, this looked good as well. I agree that as much consideration seems to have been given to the look as to the technical side. Mine hasn't been worked on yet but I suspect that it will only ever qualify as the 1155 with the most frightening and alarming external PSU.... untouched after half a century.

Is the Signal Strength Indicator on yours a modern horizontal panel meter or something else I wonder? Dave W
Old 16th Jan 2009, 11:16 pm   #7
kalee99
Rest in Peace

Smile Re: Most modified R1155?

Hi Dave,
the signal "strength indicator", is in fact an EM 84 magic eye and it works very well!
Paul
Old 16th Jan 2009, 11:47 pm   #8
AC/HL
Dekatron

It wouldn't matter what you did to the 1155, it would still be instantly recognisable. What better tribute to the Designer(s) could there be than to keep their design alive. 60 years + on and still capable of doing what it was designed to do, even keeping up with later developments.
Museum pieces have their place, and I for one would treasure an original, still in it's transit case, as I drooled over in the then current PW advertisements of my youth, but this one is a tribute to both it's Designers and the Engineer who should have left his name on it somewhere.
Old 8th Feb 2009, 1:56 pm   #9
Norman Wells
Retired Dormant Member

I also have an R1155N model which I took from a crashed Lanc. and then repaired and modified myself.When I recovered it something had gone through tuning unit , [Missing me fortunately !]which I was subsequently able to replace. It was interesting to me particularly,since it bore my Test stamp.I began my career Testing both the T1154 and its companion receiver.The first one I ever saw was in a Mk.I Halifax bomber at RAF West Raynham in the Autumn of 1941.The last one I used operationally was in a Halifax C8 on the Berlin Airlift .Alas the model I have is not in as splendid condition as the the one in the Photo But it still Works ! Alas I expect it will end on the scrap heap when I am gone Norman Wells
Old 8th Feb 2009, 4:47 pm   #10
peter_scott
Dekatron

Hi Norman,

If you write a little about your ownership and background and attach it to your 1155 I'm absolutely certain it won't end up on the scrap heap.

Regards,

Peter
Old 8th Feb 2009, 9:45 pm   #11
Brased
Hexode

Hi Norman

Is your R1155 a real R1155N? I ask because this version had a different frequency coverage (1.5 to 3.0 MHz in place of 75 - 200 KHz) to the more normal version and was originally intended for use in Coastal Command and for airsea rescue launches and suchlike. Thus it would not normally have been installed in a Lancaster.

I have been told that although this was the rule originally, later the L (aluminium) and N (steel) versions were fitted indiscriminately as replacements for the standard coverage versions.

Edward
Closed Thread