UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Amateur and Military Radio

Notices

Vintage Amateur and Military Radio Amateur/military receivers and transmitters, morse, and any other related vintage comms equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 22nd Jan 2009, 9:55 pm   #1
Top Cap
Octode

Default Vintage Military and Amateur Gear - slideshow

This is a great look back into American and some British equipment of yesteryear. Over 170 photos in a slide show. I liked the complete No.19 set up complete with Variometer. Some of the shacks are a sight to behold. Hope you enjoy it like I did.
Les G4CNH

http://www.dotphoto.com/FlashTool/Me...sp?AID=2538285
Old 22nd Jan 2009, 11:54 pm   #2
Top Cap
Octode

Default Re: Vintage Military and Amateur Gear - slideshow

Not sure why the link has stopped working as it was checked out before posting. If you are having problems, go to www.rfcafe.com and under the right hand side headed "Recent Additions" click on "Slideshow of Antique Radio Equipment"

Hope that works for you.
Les
Old 23rd Jan 2009, 12:30 am   #3
Skywave
Rest in Peace

Question Re: Vintage Military and Amateur Gear - slideshow

Clicking on the last link you provided, Les, it works here: impressive displays.

Looking at the large personal collections with their proud owners, does cause me to ask: whenever large collections like this appear on the 'Net, these collections nearly always seem to be owned by American Radio Amateurs. Are - or were - there not similar large collections built up by UK Amateurs? If so, where are they? Or is it just British modesty at work here? Do USA Amateurs simply have / had more time & money to spend on their kit that their UK counterparts? I know that there were many, many more radio manufacturers in the USA than in the UK up to recent times, but this doesn't fully explain the time / cost / size of the collections aspect.

Al / Skywave.
Old 23rd Jan 2009, 1:45 am   #4
MichaelR
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Vintage Military and Amateur Gear - slideshow

Al,

I think it is an accumulation of things. The USA has it all, huge amounts of surplus, money, space and real estate and I think it is very much in their nature to collect and restore whether it be radios or classic /street rod cars.

Great slide show though

Mike
Closed Thread