UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 3rd Jul 2018, 5:43 pm   #101
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Default Re: The Economics Of Renting Versus Credit on TV's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter.N. View Post
I had quite a few rentals out with slot meters, in fact I still have a few meters in the workshop. Some people requested them but others got them because it was the only way I could get the money out of them.

The piggy bank scenario was the same here, they were very eager to have their meters emptied as they usually got a fat rebate but I gradually changed the time they got for a pound, 50p it used to be in fact I seem to remember two shillings or even less long ago, anyway it reduced the number of trips I had to make but their rebate remained about the same.

Peter
The last slot-meter TV I saw was in the very-very-early-1980s when me and some friends rented a holiday-cottage in the Lake District to celebrate a year since our graduation.

10p-in-the-slot got us a couple of hours of very-grainy-Granada.

We didn't spend much money on watching TV.
Old 3rd Jul 2018, 11:56 pm   #102
colly0410
Pentode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter.N. View Post
I had quite a few rentals out with slot meters, in fact I still have a few meters in the workshop. Some people requested them but others got them because it was the only way I could get the money out of them.

The piggy bank scenario was the same here, they were very eager to have their meters emptied as they usually got a fat rebate but I gradually changed the time they got for a pound, 50p it used to be in fact I seem to remember two shillings or even less long ago, anyway it reduced the number of trips I had to make but their rebate remained about the same.

Peter
When I was a kid in the 60's I remember TV meters usually took 6 old pence piece/tanner or 2 bob bits, & electric & gas meters usually took shillings. Later almost all meters took 50 pence's, then later TV's took pound coins, & electric & gas meters took cards/tokens/keys... When I rented a house in early 90's I had a card electric meter & I'd forget to buy the cards, good job it had £3 emergency credit as it'd always run out after the shop that sold the cards had shut for the night...
Old 4th Jul 2018, 10:25 am   #103
Peter.N.
Dekatron

The bank got quite used to my wife turning up with a large bag of coins every few weeks, don't think they were all that pleased though.

I still have a few Midland Bank '£10 in 50p coins' bags.

Peter
Old 5th Jul 2018, 10:04 am   #104
colly0410
Pentode

Mam said "put your spare coins in this money box." I was 14 before I twigged it was the electric meter.... Today's kids wouldn't get this joke...
Closed Thread