UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 28th Oct 2021, 2:29 pm   #1
60 oldjohn
Dekatron

Default Early wire types ?

Re the battery powered clock c1900 mentioned in a previous thread. What twin wire was available c1900. I have some single 18 SWG paper covered enamelled copper wire. I thought about twisting two strands together but only about 4 or 5 twists per 30cm. Was 2 core wire available in 1900? Any ideas what would have been used originally?

John.
Old 28th Oct 2021, 3:05 pm   #2
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Default Re: Early wire types ?

Electric light, telephones etc had been around for quite a while by 1900; If you look at old catalogs of plugs and light-fittings from the era the twin flex usually depicted is cotton-covered [presumably over rubber insulation] twisted togther.

Such stuff was still available in the 1970s - the cotton covering often being gold-coloured, or a maroon/purplish colour. The gold variety was often used for table-lamps, the maroon-purple for lighting pendants.