UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 4th Nov 2017, 7:47 am   #1
jtj32100
Retired Dormant Member

Default Help with explaining please.

Hi.This is my first post here,I'll say straight away I'm not a radio buff,and only have a mechanical engineers understanding of electronics.
I'm hoping for some advice,i use forum(s?) in other areas and find them a great source of help and experience.
I have an eight year old granddaughter who has an unusual and genuine interest in how things work/history and other things that kids usually have no interest in.
Recently her dad had a bit of modern electronics exposed-battery change or something,and she was fascinated by the printed circuit board,what resistors were etc etc.I was always taking things to bits as a kid so I pricked my ears up.I thought I'd get a couple of easy to understand items to take to bits with her,eg toaster etc,then i thought of an old syle transistor radio,not to take apart,but to use to show her the working principle,I've see a Bush TR112 which has a lovely removable back where the workings are exposed,my radio theory is sketchy to say the least,so,(finally)my question is,is there anywhere I can go to workout which component is which,I can get the theory on the internet I iimagine.
I think this interest should be encouraged in the strongest way,there is such a need for engineers/technicians etc.Sorry for the long post!
Old 4th Nov 2017, 11:24 am   #2
Peter.N.
Dekatron

Default Re: Help with explaining please.

Hi and welcome to the forum.

Printed circuit boards may look pretty but they are not the easiest things to understand, the best thing to start on is a vintage valve radio, if you can get the service information for it, and there's plenty about, it will locate each component for you and the circuit diagram will show you what the parts do. Learn to read a circuit diagram which is not to difficult and it will open a whole new world for you.

Find a book on basic valve circuitry and I'm sure you won't find it difficult to understand. Transistor circuitry is similar - but much smaller.

Have a look on You tube, there were an excellent series of programs by Carol Vorderman and Michael Rodd called 'Power base' and 'Circuit training' some years ago which are very easy to understand and also entertaining, they even enthused my wife to take her amateur radio exam.

Peter
Old 4th Nov 2017, 11:31 am   #3
nebogipfel
Pentode

This is a very nice colourful, clearly illustrated guide to electronics in general. There are also three component encyclopaedias from the same source. Not specifically radio,of course.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Make-Electr.../dp/0596153740
Old 4th Nov 2017, 11:36 am   #4
ms660
Dekatron

If you want to know which component is which in the Bush TR112 and what it does you need to obtain a copy of the manufacturers service manual or the "Trader" sheets for that model, that will show you the schematic (circuit diagram) with the component values on it and also a circuit reference number for each component.

Also shown is the component layout with the circuit reference numbers.

With that you can figure out what's what and what does what.

Info available here:

http://www.service-data.com/product.php/745/1082/t10745

Lawrence.
Old 4th Nov 2017, 11:42 am   #5
Colin G8TMV
Tetrode

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtj32100 View Post
I have an eight year old granddaughter who has an unusual and genuine interest in how things work/history and other things that kids usually have no interest in.
If she is that bright she might be interested in doing her Amateur Radio Foundation licence. It's actually aimed at 11 year olds, but several 8 and 9 year olds have passed the exam.

As for looking and building things, I think building a crystal set might be a bit safer than a valve based radio, certainly for unsupervised operation.

As others have said, lots of books available on places like Amazon and many Youtube videos on building things like crystal sets and other simple electronics.

Colin G8TMV
Old 4th Nov 2017, 11:47 am   #6
G4_Pete
Hexode

Hi You could put one of these on the christmas list. There are other versions but I have only had experience with the one with the volume and tuning pots as shown. (Published age limit is 14 but with help it should be fine)
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Haynes-Retr.../dp/B00GHO0D4G
Pete
Old 4th Nov 2017, 11:54 am   #7
60 oldjohn
Dekatron

Coming up to Christmas, maybe worth considering an Advent Calendar. There is a thread on this from last year. I believe She would learn a lot, swapping components to make the set louder. Includes a well wrote instruction booklet. My Daughter bought me one last year. It is constructed on a "bread board" so no soldering. The touch controls are station up or down and Vol + & - I was quite surprised at how loud it would go. Only thing extra that you will need is a PP3 9v battery.

John.

Pete beat me to it ! I would actually give it 5 stars. On this version it looks like a pot is used for vol instead of touched contacts
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3 class advent cal 005.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	96.4 KB
ID:	151781  

Last edited by 60 oldjohn; 4th Nov 2017 at 12:02 pm.
Old 4th Nov 2017, 12:03 pm   #8
jtj32100
Retired Dormant Member

Wow,so much helpful information! Thank you all so much for taking the time.I'll be checking it all out,I wondered about a valve radio,then there's youtube,the advent calendar looks like genius,and I must admit I was rather taken with the chunky old school look of the Bush radio...homework for me too,keep my aging brain ticking over!
Old 4th Nov 2017, 2:27 pm   #9
kalee20
Dekatron

I'd have said the advent calendar, too.

The slight down side, is you can't actually SEE anything happening or moving. Whereas with a basic 1950's AM radio, you can alter the tuning and see the capacitor vanes moving; switch wavebands and see contacts swap over; and switch it on and see the valves start to glow.

If you get that far, hopefully you'll ask for a good radio to be recommended. And look forward to your granddaughter joining this Forum in the fullness of time!
Old 4th Nov 2017, 3:38 pm   #10
kenneth
Retired Dormant Member

When your granddaughter starts to look at components she may find it fascinating to learn why some resistors and capacitors have coloured rings or other marks painted on them. See pics. Ken.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf data1.pdf (645.9 KB, 62 views)
File Type: pdf data2.pdf (559.1 KB, 63 views)
Old 4th Nov 2017, 3:39 pm   #11
jtj32100
Retired Dormant Member

Smile Re: Help with explaining please.

Thanks Kalee,I've ordered the advent calendar which is an absolutely brilliant idea!
I do love the idea of a valve radio,so tactile,but I have to be aware of not letting my nostalgia take over,she is growing up in a different age afterall
Sorry,ignorant question,does anyone transmit on AM?

Kenneth, I'm hoping that too! It's such a treat to have a child who is genuinely interested,at first I thought she was just being kind to grandpa,but she remembers stuff and asks questions,she does the girly things too...just not to the exclusion of practical stuff,just hope it continues,can't go wrong with that attitude wherever it takes her!
Old 4th Nov 2017, 5:48 pm   #12
stevehertz
Dekatron

There are many 'vintage' transistor radios from the 60s that would be good to show her the various parts and stuff. At this juncture I would not introduce an eight year old to older mains powered vintage wireless sets due to the many dangerous aspects of them - unless you or the person really knows what they are doing. These include scaldingly hot valves, mains voltage, high DC voltages, heavy chassis and transformers etc with sharp corners, and charged capacitors that can shock you even with the set switched of, etc. If she's shown an interest in PCBs, then 'let her be', they're not dangerous in portable battery sets. Another route is the old Philips Electronic Engineer kits that you can buy on auction sites. Best of luck and great to see a youngster interested in a science subject.
Old 4th Nov 2017, 6:44 pm   #13
jtj32100
Retired Dormant Member

Thanks everyone,forum(s),is it? I think it might be fora...what a pedant...are great places when they work well as this one obviously does,can't remember when I've had suich a friendly reception..( downloaded the colour coding Ken,and purchased the service data for the Bush...thanks ms660)...and the advent calendar...had to get a grip to stop buying myself one!
All very much appreciated.
Mick.
Old 4th Nov 2017, 7:23 pm   #14
The Philpott
Dekatron

As regards youtube, the best contributor regards modern electrics/electronics is Bigclive. Much of what he says will be over her head at this point but the name Bigclive is worth remembering later on.
Old 4th Nov 2017, 7:30 pm   #15
kalee20
Dekatron

Quote:
Oh yes! Though not as much as before. But Radio 4 on LW, Radio 5 on MW, plus local stations, and independents!

Others have mentioned the hazards of valve equipment - hot things, and high voltages. Absolutely right. So not to be played with (yet), but you can at least take the back off and marvel at the 'works!'
Old 4th Nov 2017, 8:05 pm   #16
Herald1360
Dekatron

There are also battery valve sets which are a bit safer- "only" 60-90V for the high voltage. Enough to bite but unlikely (though not impossible) to kill. Nine PP3 batteries clipped in series...... and a D cell for the filament supply.

A simple single battery valve am set will run on anything from about 24V up, though.
.........O..Chris....O
Old 4th Nov 2017, 8:41 pm   #17
60 oldjohn
Dekatron

Quote:
As you will realise the Advent Calendar radio is FM. There are a few AM stations available but getting less each year. 2018 will see the demise of many Local radio stations on AM. To be able to get all the stations in your locality think about a FM to AM convertor. There is a thread on this forum. Basically an aerial receives FM signal a chip converts signal to AM then transmits in AM through a short wire aerial over a very small area typically 5ft. Tune any AM set to a quiet part of the MW around 300 mtrs and listen to your favourite FM stations on an AM set!

John.
Old 4th Nov 2017, 8:45 pm   #18
nebogipfel
Pentode

Search "Afrotechmods" on Youtube and go to his "Playlists" for some very clear tutorials from a very good teacher.
Old 4th Nov 2017, 9:12 pm   #19
frankmcvey
Rest in Peace

... and don't forget, Mick, that in Lincoln you're lucky enough to have one of the very few old-school radio shops left in the country. (John Birkett in The Strait). Might be nice to take the wee lass for a visit - be careful not to get the bug yourself!

Cheers,

Frank
Old 4th Nov 2017, 9:32 pm   #20
jtj32100
Retired Dormant Member

Cheers everyone,feel like I've been having a friendly chat over a coffee with some mates! Loved it,and so much to check out!
Mick.
Closed Thread