UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 1st Nov 2017, 1:57 pm   #1
amtrakuk
Tetrode

Default Videostar 3V29 Noisy Audio (AUX)

Morning all!

I've got a 3v29 which works perfectly (playback taes) except for a couple of things. When playing back recording from the a freeview box using the AUX input is quiet and there is a background hiss. Along with the hiss you can also hear the live audio from the freeview box. The picture is perfect.

There is also a whirring from the large copper coloured motor marked in attached pic to the right of the main head, it sounds like its a dry bearing but not wanting to make a mistake by using WD40, I thought I'd see advice. Its the same area motor that whurrs when the head spins up/threads then stops.

The only cause I can think of for the background hiss is the DIN to Left/Right RCA cables i'm using are marked "Audio Out", is this the problem?

Thanks in advance
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot from 2017-11-01 12-38-49.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	64.4 KB
ID:	151652  
Old 1st Nov 2017, 2:42 pm   #2
dj_fivos_sak
Heptode

Default Re: Videostar 3V29 Noisy Audio (AUX)

Hi. Try cleaning the Tuner/AUX switch with a contact cleaner. As for the capstan motor, does the whirring noise happen on both play/rec and FF/REW modes? It's a bad idea to use WD40 on VCR mechanisms.

Regards,
Fivos
Old 1st Nov 2017, 3:10 pm   #3
1100 man
Octode

Hi,
The bit you are pointing to in your picture is the capstan motor. It's responsible for pulling the tape through the mechanism. In these machines I have never come across one which isn't noisy!! Even 25 years ago they weren't great. Lubrication won't help: I think the noise comes from the brush assembly inside the motor although I've never stripped one down as they are crimped together.
Doesn't seem to affect the operation though although I don't doubt wow & flutter will be worse than it usually is.
Don't start spraying WD40 about: it will all go horribly wrong!!!
The motor doesn't play a part during lacing up but runs faster and generates more noise until lacing is complete.

If you have a din lead marked 'audio out' then the wires will be connected to the wrong pins. If you can open the din plug you can resolder the wires to the other two pins. I never did like din or scart come to that!! You can get a lead with a din at one end and 4 x phono plugs: you can't go wrong then
Hope that helps
All the best
Nick
Old 1st Nov 2017, 3:21 pm   #4
amtrakuk
Tetrode

Quote:
Originally Posted by dj_fivos_sak View Post
Hi. Try cleaning the Tuner/AUX switch with a contact cleaner. As for the capstan motor, does the whirring noise happen on both play/rec and FF/REW modes? It's a bad idea to use WD40 on VCR mechanisms.
Hi DJ.

I'll try getting some contact cleaner. Can you recommend anything. In the cellar I have a tin of 3 in 1 spray oil or WD40... I am loath to use WD40 at any time in the deck.

Yes the whirring does occur during both playback and record.
Old 1st Nov 2017, 3:33 pm   #5
amtrakuk
Tetrode

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100 man View Post
The bit you are pointing to in your picture is the capstan motor. It's responsible for pulling the tape through the mechanism.
Hi Nick

I was guessing it was the capstan but wasn't sure. IIRC on past recorders it does whir almost as it spins up but then fades as I assume the speed is reached.

I'm so hyper nervous about doing anything to this deck as a few months ago, somehow I manage to break a 3v30 just by changing the belts! I took it to a local guy but he still get the picture any better than I managed - long story.

I think a trip to Maplin this week and have a word with the guys there regarding the DIN lead. I have has a look at any freeview boxes for one with a modulator, the only one was an Philips On-Digital one but sadly it no longer picks up channels due to the bit-rate change.
Old 1st Nov 2017, 3:52 pm   #6
amtrakuk
Tetrode

looking at http://www.leadsdirect.co.uk/technic...n-midi-wiring/ it says there is no standard pinout configuration, does this sound right?

Pin 1 -> Left in
Pin 2 -> Signal ground
Pin 3 -> Left out
Pin 4 -> Right in
Pin 5 -> Right out

I have been tempted by a multi channel VHF AV modulator I can stream 3 or 4 freeview boxes into but they seem very costly. However as it seems a 3v29 only has a single channel timer that wont seem necessary
Old 1st Nov 2017, 4:07 pm   #7
1100 man
Octode

The middle pin (pin 2) is almost always ground. I always tend to use leads with 4 x phono plugs and just pick the pair that work!! Maplin sell a lead (Code A33XF) which has 4 x phono plugs and as far as I can tell a 5 pin 180 degree din plug.
These machines are very mechanically and electronically complex and are now also very old!! I always considered them one of the most reliable of machines and sold quite a few second hand. It is very difficult to find people who are competent to repair and get the best out of them as you have found. You have also found that you can easily generate your own faults!!
Cheers
Nick
Old 1st Nov 2017, 4:12 pm   #8
1100 man
Octode

You can use any old VCR from a boot sale, freecycle or wherever to act as a UHF modulator- it doesn't have to work mechanically. That said, it does have to stay powered up and not turn itself off if no tape is playing but most machines did.
Cheers
Nick
Old 1st Nov 2017, 7:19 pm   #9
dj_fivos_sak
Heptode

Here's a snapshot from the service manual. Pins 1 and 4 are for audio input, pins 3 and 5 are for audio output and pin 2 is the common ground. If you need the full manual, feel free to ask.

Fivos
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-11-01 at 20.15.16.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	56.0 KB
ID:	151661  
Old 2nd Nov 2017, 2:11 pm   #10
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

Hi
I'd agree that getting a DIN to four phono sockets is the best bet and you can then experiment - they're only a couple of pounds. You'll also be able to monitor the audio that way.
The capstan motors did whirr but that's part of the charm (?) of the machine. Do check you have the volume on your freeview box turned up to maximum.
WD40 is for garden tools. Unless you intend using the machine in the garden then I think I'd leave it (and the oil) in the garage. The trouble with spray oils is they do just that - spray!
Glyn
Old 2nd Nov 2017, 9:35 pm   #11
amtrakuk
Tetrode

Grrr.. I think I need to see them tomorrow. I cant believe the nearest store in the UK who has stock is Folkstone! https://www.maplin.co.uk/p/maplin-5-...able-15m-a33xf
Old 2nd Nov 2017, 9:46 pm   #12
amtrakuk
Tetrode

Right I have relegated my WD40 to the bin

I'll check the freeview box tomorrow by plugging it directly into the Tele. Also as I've got the week off I may chase up the v30
Old 3rd Nov 2017, 4:57 pm   #13
amtrakuk
Tetrode

Quote:
Originally Posted by dj_fivos_sak View Post
Here's a snapshot from the service manual. Pins 1 and 4 are for audio input, pins 3 and 5 are for audio output and pin 2 is the common ground. If you need the full manual, feel free to ask.
Success! Thanks

I made up a new cable using your guidance and now the sound as well as picture is perfect.

Many thanks
Old 3rd Nov 2017, 10:56 pm   #14
dj_fivos_sak
Heptode

Glad I could help.
Old 3rd Nov 2017, 11:42 pm   #15
amtrakuk
Tetrode

I've splashed out whilst I was in Maplin and got a modulator https://www.maplin.co.uk/p/programma...odulator-vh89w and judging from the instructions using the dip switches you can Daisy Chain multiple modulators to run across a single coax, ie. utilise the analogue tuner in the recorder
Old 4th Nov 2017, 10:08 am   #16
amtrakuk
Tetrode

The v29 has developed a fault.

When switching on the deck slow rewinds for about 10 seconds then stops. No other cassette functions (Play, FF, Rewind etc) are available - only eject once the the slow wind stops.

Power cycling didn't resolve the issue.

Cassette lamp working ok.

Tried different cassette.

Has anyone any ideas?
Old 4th Nov 2017, 10:11 am   #17
amtrakuk
Tetrode

Ah the same problem as this. However no repeated retry, Will check the belts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3iwP9jWv1s
Old 4th Nov 2017, 11:08 am   #18
amtrakuk
Tetrode

Resolved. Not sure what the problem was, the belts seemed to be ok they seemed to be gripping ok,

When it first started to work again the picture was very very bad and scrolling.

Stopping and starting the tape slowly cleared the picture. Could this be a sign of the deck needing new belts?
Old 4th Nov 2017, 12:11 pm   #19
mark2collection
Hexode

3V29's always had noisy capstan motors, except my mates! Sold my machine after fitting a genuine service Kt & N.O.S motor plus N.O.S cassette housing damper, the last of the JVC parts from Willowvale (Reading).

The slow rewind upon power up suggests the machine is trying to unlace & cannot 'see' the unlace switch closed. This is the switch under the deck, by the head-drum motor, has a clear plastic cover over it.

Use contact cleaner, WD will ruin your weekend!

The machine may require belts too, & if it's a keeper, I'd fit new play & take-up idler, reel tyres, along with a pinchroller. Was lucky with my 3V23, my complete service kit, along with cassette housing rollers arrived shortly before the demise of CHS. Donberg would be a place to start. Sadly, sold the rest of my spares as I only have the 3V23 & a red SL-C20 left ...

If you still have low sound with a correctly configured DIN lead, the back tension band may be worn, best to replace this with new & align to the old glue marks (unless you have a backtension gauge) which should read around 35.

Oh the memories, can hear the solenoid clunks now

Mark
Old 4th Nov 2017, 12:21 pm   #20
mark2collection
Hexode

Oh, noisy picture could mean the tape path needs a clean, don't forget to clear the grime from the white rollers on the tape guides.

Isopropyl & cotton buds will work, keep the buds & hands/fingers clear of the upper drum head tips.

Noisy picture also points to backtension.

If it happens again, the arm which is attached to the copper band with felt pad (which may have fallen off? - glue back on if this is the case) by the supply reel (under the cassette housing) set the machine playing, look at the fuzzy picture & apply very gentle but gradual pressure to the swinging post of the arm, if the picture improves, this points to the problem.

It's not uncommon for the felt bit to fall off the copper band.

Mark
Closed Thread