UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 27th Sep 2017, 9:56 pm   #1
Philips210
Nonode

Default Mini LCD Analogue TVs

Hi.

I have a number of small LCD analogue TVs (mainly Casio) and something occured to me, there's no coax aerial socket fitted nor any AV input facilities. There's just a telescopic aerial. I wonder if a signal from a UHF modulator can be efficiently coupled to the telescopic aerial. Any ideas or experiences on this matter?

As another thought, what about a very low power transmitter driven by composite video and audio signals? The RF signal would then be received as normal via the set's own telescopic aerial. Again, any suggestions welcome.

My plan would be to use a Goodmans digital set top box which has a built in UHF modulator.

Regards
Symon.
Old 27th Sep 2017, 10:00 pm   #2
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Default Re: Mini LCD Analogue TVs

Quite a lot of these used a 3.5mm jack-plug as RF-input rather than the expected BNC or Belling-Lee coax socket.

These sockets are often confused with headphone sockets (usually by people plugging in headphones and complaining they can't hear anything!)
Old 27th Sep 2017, 10:03 pm   #3
Clydeuk
Hexode

I'm sure I saw a youtube video of someone using just the modulator from a VCR with no additional amplification and tuned in on one of these. Not sure what he used as an aerial for the "transmitter". He seemed to get a reasonable range
Old 27th Sep 2017, 11:08 pm   #4
MrElectronicman
Heptode

I have a mini CRT TV which came with an adapter for a 3.5mm plug to 300 Ohms balanced line and then to 75 Ohms F type TV plug
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2909.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	18.6 KB
ID:	150014  
Old 28th Sep 2017, 5:20 am   #5
TonyDuell
Dekatron

The service manuals for some of the Casio pocket LCD TVs are on Elektrotanya.

The 3.5mm (2 contact, 'mono') jack socket for the aerial seems to be wired so that the break contact disconnects the telescopic aerial, the sleeve is grounded and the tip is the signal (to the tuner input, in place of the telescopic aerial). Given that, if there's no such socket, I would have thought that feeding the UHF modulator signal to the telescopic aerial connection (remove the telescopic aerial to prevent it radiating, I guess) and the ground to the -ve side of the battery or somewhere would work.

For some unknown reason, the Casio model I bought a week ago (old, UK, PAL-I) has the socket, but it is not labelled on the case and has a plastic blanking cap fitted. The service manual shows it, and it seems to be used on other models. Quite why it wasn't a feature of the UK model I don't know. Licensing (does a portable set have to have an internal aerial or something)
Old 28th Sep 2017, 11:13 am   #6
Graham G3ZVT
Dekatron

I can't remember why I took this picture of my Casio five years ago, but it does seem to address your question.

Graham.
G3ZVT
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	casio.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	63.9 KB
ID:	150019  
Old 28th Sep 2017, 11:21 am   #7
MonochromeMarc
Pentode

Hi Symon,

I plugged a piece of wire into the RF outlet of a modulator and laid the other end behind my mini telly's just to get this photo.....

Marc.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCF4060 (Medium).jpg
Views:	212
Size:	88.6 KB
ID:	150020  
Old 28th Sep 2017, 12:09 pm   #8
Herald1360
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDuell View Post
Licensing (does a portable set have to have an internal aerial or something)

ISTR that to count as portable (so you can use it anywhere on the strength of your home licence, it has to run on its own internal batteries. I don't think the aerial type matters.

Whether charging internal batteries whilst viewing is technically legal or not is a moot point. Chances of anyone caring are slim.
.........O..Chris....O
Old 28th Sep 2017, 1:03 pm   #9

A nice oddity with licensing is that ones staff in their independent living quarters are covered by ones TV licence.

I bet some posh lawyer wrote that bit in.

Old 28th Sep 2017, 4:46 pm   #10
Philips210
Nonode

Hi.

Thanks for all your replies and for the pics from Marc and Graham and the link to electrotanya from Tony.

It seems then that it's not that critical coupling the signal to the set. I must admit not even trying any form of signal on these sets as I've had so many other things on the go. It's just that recently I came across one of my sets in the garage and realised there was only the telescopic aerial. I'll have to try and get one or two sets operational. I hope the surface mount electrolytics are OK, something I've been plagued with in the past with Canon camcorders.

Regards
Symon.

Last edited by Philips210; 28th Sep 2017 at 4:48 pm. Reason: typo
Old 28th Sep 2017, 5:08 pm   #11
Philips210
Nonode

Hi

I just checked the Casio set in the garage and it's a model TV-1750 U and it does indeed have a 3.5mm jack socket for an external aerial. There's also the usual 3.5mm jack socket for headphones. The aerial socket isn't actually marked external aerial and it seems strange why Casio omitted marking the function of this socket on the casing.

I like the matched adapter that MrElectronicman has shown in his pic.

Regards
Symon
Old 28th Sep 2017, 7:08 pm   #12
duncanlowe
Nonode

Some years ago I had a Sony Watchman. No telescopic aerial, it was built into a neckband to hang it round your neck.
Old 28th Sep 2017, 7:12 pm   #13
duncanlowe
Nonode

About licensing, I think things might have changed. I say this because you are OK to use a TV in a touring caravan or motorhome, no matter whether its portable or a normal one, on the back of your home TV licence.
Old 29th Sep 2017, 8:42 am   #14
mark pirate
Dekatron

I use a UHF transmitter for my analogue TV's, it accepts composite video and audio from a freeview box, VCR, ETC.
The range is pretty good, it certainly covers my house

I have two of these units, one in the house and one in the workshop.
I think they date from the late 80's, one I have had for years and the one pictured was a recent find from ebay.

Mark
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P1130680.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	52.8 KB
ID:	150049   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1130681.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	44.7 KB
ID:	150050   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1130682.jpg