UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 25th Aug 2017, 2:18 pm   #101
ms660
Dekatron

Default Re: Radio Caroline to return on Medium Wave.

The radio transmission ought to be from the ship!!! A bit like taking a shower with yer mack on otherwise.

Lawrence
Old 25th Aug 2017, 3:33 pm   #102
Junk Box Nick
Octode

Best ask Ofcom about that!
Old 16th Sep 2017, 12:04 pm   #103
telstar
Octode

Hi. I attended the event for Radio Caroline and the commemorative stone unveiling on September 9th in Felixstowe, Suffolk. It was a really interesting day which portrayed a "feel-good" factor to it. There was a record and c.d sale, Caroline merchandise and a vintage radio display (various models). There was a Bush VHF64 radio in the entrance (lovely condition!) that played Caroline jingles and music. Also I took a photograph of the commemorative stone, so if people are interested I will upload it on this site?
The event made a good excuse for a holiday and to visit where I once lived between Framlingham & Saxmundham betweenn 1962 & 1967.
Cheers
Mike
Old 27th Sep 2017, 2:28 pm   #104
telstar
Octode

I forget when it was announced that the station would start transmissions again, but it would be soon. Also the event was interesting as I met people with enthusiasm for vintage radio as well as broadcasting. One guy used to work for a vintage radio repair shop in Spring Road, Ipswich (Adams Audio), now long closed.
Old 11th Nov 2017, 5:13 pm   #105
Valvepower
Octode

Hi All,

Radio Caroline has the Medium Wave transmitter up and running on 648 kHz at 1KW ERP and they are currently running test transmissions.

I’m getting a reasonably good signal in Southend, Essex using my Sony ICF-7600DS.

Regards
Terry.
Old 11th Nov 2017, 5:53 pm   #106
michamoo
Hexode

A nice steady signal here near Ely Cambs even though its now after dark. Actual audio a bit thin sounding though with little bass content.
Old 11th Nov 2017, 6:07 pm   #107
stitch1
Heptode

I think I'm getting it all the up hear too, quite weak and fades a little but listenable on an old domestic radio ... playing my old mans a dustman now?

John
Old 11th Nov 2017, 6:26 pm   #108
Steve
Tetrode

Good signal in Cambridge. Considering the power and the distance, at this time of day, the signal is holding up surprisingly well.

Now I have a jolly good reason to repair a few more vintage radios!
Old 11th Nov 2017, 7:54 pm   #109
hannahs radios
Hexode

I could here a very week flattery signal at around 2PM really not sure if that was them was really hoping it would be better here. Was hoping to have something to listen to again well alright I listen to heart on VHF but thats not real radio is it?
Old 11th Nov 2017, 8:15 pm   #110
Neil Purling
Nonode

Any chance of getting it in Yorkshire?
The old Caroline used to be in Dutch during the day. But that was so long ago before Laser 558 shut & Caroline used the frequency. Well away from most broadcasters then.
Old 11th Nov 2017, 8:17 pm   #111
michamoo
Hexode

i would think so if the signal is making it to Durham and Glasgow
Old 11th Nov 2017, 8:44 pm   #112
Station X

Sufficiently strong in Ipswich to necessitate using an attenuator with my comms receiver.

More importantly easily received on a selection of vintage and modern receivers.

463 Metres Medium Wave.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 11th Nov 2017, 8:49 pm   #113

A bit fadey here, hardly surprising, will try again tomorrow AM.

Old 11th Nov 2017, 9:13 pm   #114
Sideband
Dekatron

Yes just tuned in on my infallible VHF80 and I have reasonable reception here in Croydon just using it's ferrite rod. The RF amplifier (AM only) in the VHF80 makes a huge difference to reception. I can't receive it on a battery valve portable but I can receive it on an HMV set but with considerable noise (no RF amp in that). I'm going to see what it's like on the Philips 170A that also has an RF amplifier. Pity that they are only using 1kW but just hearing Caroline on MW is like going back to the 60's. It will make a change from Gold!
Old 11th Nov 2017, 9:29 pm   #115
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Listening here in rural Wiltshire, using a Roberts R606 with its internal antenna, a WWII-era Pye PCR attached to a longwire, and my little Sony 'Dream machine' bedside clock-radio [which is actually rather good for MW semi-DX] all I can hear around 648KHz are sports-commentaries in what sounds to me like Spanish.

Will try again tomorrow, maybe earlier in the day. Might even wake the AR88 from its slumbers and see if that has any more success.
Old 11th Nov 2017, 9:33 pm   #116
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideband View Post
Yes just tuned in on my infallible VHF80 and I have reasonable reception here in Croydon just using it's ferrite rod. The RF amplifier (AM only) in the VHF80 makes a huge difference to reception.
Yes I've got a VHF81 here [currently undergoing some serious rework] and when used alongside something like my Pye P75 the difference the extra RF-amp makes to MW/LW reception is really noticeable. I can hear stations at 'entertainment' quality on the VHF81 with its internal ferrite-rod that are totally beyond the capabilities of the P75 (even with a 60-foot outdoor antenna) to resolve.
Old 11th Nov 2017, 9:40 pm   #117
Boom
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by G6Tanuki View Post
Listening here in rural Wiltshire,
I'm also in Wiltshire. I'll fire a radio up but won't be holding my breath.

Dave
Old 11th Nov 2017, 9:41 pm   #118
Andrew2
Nonode

I tuned in a couple of hours ago after being alerted by a friend. It's a pretty steady signal here in East Manchester. Reception is entertainment quality despite some battering from adjacent channel splash. Even on a portable it's OK, but of course this is night-time sky-wave reception. Can't wait to see what it's like in daytime conditions.
Old 11th Nov 2017, 10:05 pm   #119
ITAM805
Nonode

A stonkin good signal down here on my old Philips 590 portable, as I type. I did think to myself that it was too strong to be Caroline, but it is
Old 11th Nov 2017, 10:48 pm   #120
Sideband
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideband View Post
I'm going to see what it's like on the Philips 170A that also has an RF amplifier.
Not good on the 170A. The alignment is excellent but the VHF80 outperforms it on MW. The DAC90A can manage with noise but surprisingly the KB FB10 does quite well. I have a few other sets to try....