UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 23rd Sep 2016, 5:35 pm   #1
electronicskip
Nonode

Default Black and white tv Licence holders

Just a thought,
Does anyone here have a Black and White tv licence?

Seems they are still going strong ,
Old 23rd Sep 2016, 7:24 pm   #2
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

Default Re: Black and white tv Licence holders

The most are up Scotland.I had a letter in a national Scottish paper stating in my opinion they must be darn reliable sets plus there are no analogue transmissions and left the readers to work it themselves.

IE someone telling porkies!
Old 23rd Sep 2016, 7:33 pm   #3
paulsherwin

That is certainly what TV Licensing assume, and anyone who has a B&W licence can expect a visit. This is of course very unfair on the few people who genuinely only watch B&W TV. (Most of them are probably members of this forum).
Old 23rd Sep 2016, 7:47 pm   #4
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

I agree that most who indeed watch b/white are going to be technical folks in order to keep the old sets going.

Got a feeling we had a discussion on the forum a while back re all this.
Old 24th Sep 2016, 7:35 pm   #5
electronicskip
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamishBoxer View Post
IE someone telling porkies!
I just found an article published in 2015 which states there are about 9,000 b/w licences issued in that year, and in fact the highest proportion is in the outer Hebrides.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/news...white-TVs.html
Old 24th Sep 2016, 7:37 pm   #6
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

I rest my case! Still I dont think many will get caught out up there. If it is "genuine" all those b/white sets, then perhaps there are plenty of pre war and interesting 50s sets hidden away in attics and old crofts.

I like the quote a smell and a high pitched whine, used to get that on colour sets when the loptx and line transistor failed.

PS I lived up in Scotland for 10 years but yes I had a colour licence.

Last edited by HamishBoxer; 24th Sep 2016 at 7:43 pm.
Old 24th Sep 2016, 9:14 pm   #7
brianc
Rest in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamishBoxer View Post
If it is "genuine" all those b/white sets, then perhaps there are plenty of pre war and interesting 50s sets hidden away in attics and old crofts.
I don't think that many pre-war sets would have reached the Outer Hebrides - a rather long way (or not far enough for ionospheric reflections) for thAlly Pally to reach! I tried to find out when TV did reach them via Google but drew a blank.
Old 24th Sep 2016, 10:20 pm   #8
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

Totally agree as I doubt in reality any would have got that far north. In fact I wonder how many sets were even there for the Coronation.
Old 24th Sep 2016, 10:46 pm   #9
Radio Wrangler

Do they now do a black-and-white version of iPlayer for people with only a black and white licence?

David
Old 24th Sep 2016, 11:38 pm   #10
Clydeuk
Hexode

There must still be a large number of B/W portable sets from the 70's and 80's around. I still have mine, the first TV I had, still working with only a minor dry joint repair needed since 1980. I no longer use it though.

I would imagine most non technical people still using a black and white set will be using one of these.
Old 24th Sep 2016, 11:50 pm   #11
Nuvistor
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianc View Post
I don't think that many pre-war sets would have reached the Outer Hebrides - a rather long way (or not far enough for ionospheric reflections) for thAlly Pally to reach! I tried to find out when TV did reach them via Google but drew a blank.
I found this, plans to have BBC transmitters on Skye and Lewis in 1962 and be in service with many other low power stations throughout the UK by 1963/4

http://www.americanradiohistory.com/...ld-1962-05.pdf page 210

Frank
Old 25th Sep 2016, 3:45 am   #12
ntscuser
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clydeuk View Post
There must still be a large number of B/W portable sets from the 70's and 80's around. I still have mine.
Myself likewise, been in occasional use continually since 1983 and has never needed attention. It was invaluable during a house move when it was the only TV I could watch until the removal men arrived. Kept my spirits up by playing Busby Berkeley musicals on a laserdisc player with a built-in UHF modulator.
Old 26th Sep 2016, 12:09 pm   #13
Brigham
Octode

I take out a B&W licence every year for the reception at work, where we have a Defiant console set. I send for it the week before Wimbledon, and send it back for a refund the week after.
This year, with the Olympics, I thought I might as well keep it. It's proved popular.
Old 26th Sep 2016, 1:02 pm   #14
camtechman
Nonode

In Beds, Herts & Bucks (inc Milton Keynes) 134 are watching B&W:

http://www.miltonkeynes.co.uk/news/2...e-tv-1-5790888
Old 26th Sep 2016, 1:33 pm   #15
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

Technically speaking, as all black and white TVs require a digibox, then the signal will be decoded to provide colour, even if you don't use it. I know this was something of a moot point when videos were used with a black and white television.
I wonder how long the black and white anachronism will continue - especially as I believe blind users have a special dispensation.
Old 26th Sep 2016, 3:28 pm   #16

Quote:
Technically speaking, as all black and white TVs require a digibox, then the signal will be decoded to provide colour, even if you don't use it.
I think the license conditions state something on the lines of 'displaying' a picture this is the deciding factor, colour or B/W.

I did ask TV licensing if I needed one for my set top box that I use for radio, I didn't need one to use it but if I connected it to a telly to set it up it would need a B/W or colour license where I set it up. They said taking it next door for the setup would be fine (assuming they had a license). Rather academic in the end as we do have the "premium" colour license, mainly for SHMBO, personally I would be happy without a TV or in just a simple 12" B/W job.

I did live in a house without a telly, the amount of hassle they give you is unbelievable. On the other side of the coin I also lived in a shared housing co-op house for 10 people, only I bought a license, no problems at all. To cover my housemates we decided to declare them as 'unpaid members of my staff' (who, in the conditions of the license in 1986, where exempt).

Old 26th Sep 2016, 5:02 pm   #17
dragonser
Heptode

Hi,
well the small Hitachi black and white portable I brought along to the event at Dulwich worked apart from a few crackles.
regards Peter B
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160910_141221.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	69.0 KB
ID:	130558  
Old 27th Sep 2016, 9:36 am   #18
pastyboy
Hexode

There was an article in the Cornish guardian paper (I think) they claimed something like 19 in St Austell and 14 in Newquay had a BW licence. Its likely some of the folks down here are unaware that colour has even reached these parts !
Old 27th Sep 2016, 4:38 pm   #19
vidjoman
Dekatron

According to the back of my new licence that arrived today - "Even if you have a black & white set, you need a colour licence to record programmes. This is because DVD, VHS and digital box recorders record in colour. A black & white licence is only valid if you use a digital box that can't record TV programmes"
Old 27th Sep 2016, 4:50 pm   #20
ntscuser
Hexode

Quote:
A black & white licence is only valid if you use a digital box that can't record TV programmes
So where would I stand with a box that can record if a USB drive is connected to it but cannot record if it is removed?

In theory any digital box can record if you attach a suitable external device to it. Even my Goodman's has a "VCR recording socket" as they call it.